I'm okay

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Last night was a painful one. My crew and I was hired to remove a dead tree. It had been dead for 3 years according to the owner. The tree was about 60' tall with my bucket truck only going to 34'. The tree had a lean towards his house and landscaping so I couldn't drop it in that direction. Owner wanted it dropped in his driveway. So I go up an put a good heavey duty rope (anchor rope) up in the tree as far as I could get it. Then I was to angle cut about 25' up from the base. I needed to do this because of other trees in the way.<br /><br />Eveything was going good until the saw run into some rotten wood. Tree fell in the direction we wanted to, but the top branches got caught up in the trees next to it. So now my saw is pinched, the upper part of the tree is laying horizontal with the ground up about 25 to 30'. Oh CRAP!. The lower part where I cut stayed up instead of falling to the ground. <br /><br />So I get my other say to cut out my good saw and to drop the base to the ground. THis made me nervous because I just knew when I would free my saw that the part of the tree I was cutting on would swing down and whip the branch tip back at me. I stopped and studied the situation more. No other options. I finsished cutting out my saw, the trunk dropped down, tip come flying towards me while in my bucket. I grabbed onto my good saw with my left hand, the other saw still running in my right and ducked down inside my bucket. Too late. The branches came across the top of my bucket taking out a chunk of scalp, and cutting my eyebrow. My eyeglasses went flying. Lucky they went into his little pond undamaged.<br /><br />I got shook up quiet a bit and everyone hollering if I was okay. Not knowing because it takes awhile for blood to start oozing. I managed to get the one saw shut off and put them into the bucket with me. Then burnt my leg on one of the mufflers. By the time I got the bucket parked on the truck I could feel the blood running down my face. Oh boy, wife is going to be pissed!<br /><br />So now I've got this black eye that is almost swelled shut and a big goose egg size bump on top of my head. They found my glasses and then we finished cutting the logs and loaded them up.<br /><br />I made the mistake that the top branches that got caught up were only about an inch in diameter. I assumed that them being dead for 3 years that they would have just snapped off. To find out that it was an ash tree. Some hard stuff, they didn't snap off so easy after all.<br /><br />All in all, I'm okay, sore but okay. I have always heard that dead trees are unpredictable over live ones. Now I know why.. Sad to say, but he has two more he wants removed. Just as dead and tall, but not in a confined area. <br /><br />Goes to show ya, just can't be careful enough sometimes...

one more cast

Captain
Re: I'm okay

Glad your OK SS. We have quite a few tree cutters in this neck of the woods and it really is a dangerous business.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yeah....ash don't give up...even when dead! Found that out when I used to burn wood. Real beotch to split.<br /><br />Hope it don't hurt to much and you heal quick SS.

LadyFish

Admiral

Geez Mayfloat, Lucky you weren't hurt more than you were. I hope you're okay. Falling a tree, even when done by experts can sometimes be unpredictable.<br /><br />I guess you were lucky it was your head.....<br />any place else you might have been hurt. :p ;) <br /><br />Seriously, glad you lived to tell the story. :)

sangerwaker

Commander

Glad you're OK SS. Hope you heal quickly and better luck next time!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Might not be a bad idea to wear a hard hat and goggles when taking on the hard ones.<br /><br />Ken

SoulWinner

Commander

That's a dangerous business there SS. Since Ivan the ER's around here have been reporting a LOT of tree cutting related injuries. Glad you are ok bro.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks guys. My crew makes fun of me sometimes because I get chicken on some of the jobs. Safety is a big concern of mine. Just that sometimes a situation arises that a job is dangerous no matter how you plan for it to go.<br /><br />I just thank god that I still have the pieces parts that he gave me. Ladyfish is right about it hitting me on my hard head. Anywhere else could have had serious problems. A hardhat might have helped. I'm planning on picking up enough for my crew. My glasses are saftey glasses, so I had that part covered. <br /><br />We don't do this for a living, just to help heat our houses with the wood.<br /><br />Wife is trying to convince me not to do anymore cutting until after the election. She said Bush needs all the support he can get! I just want to keep taking advantage of the 60 degree temps we are having. Great working weather. The crew named my bucket truck the USS Headbanger. :D

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> The crew named my bucket truck the USS Headbanger. :D
LOL,<br />Very fitting moniker for the truck.<br />Glad to hear you are ok after all that.<br /><br />BTW, you have mail.<br /><br />AK Chappy

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Wow, SS!!!<br />I'm glad you're not seriously injured! I can attest first-hand to the dead tree thing. After Charley, we had to take down a slash pine which bottom half still stood. I lost a brand new saw.<br />I only cut a half-dozen les-than 8" diameter trees with it, and it was on second tankfull of gas. I was cutting my back cut, when the breeze fell-off, and I bound the saw. I went over to get a bar wedge to free it, when the wind I had been counting on to help fell it returned. CRACK! I had to leave the saw to retreat. Wifey (my lookout), said as the tree began to go, the saw fell to the ground...Then the tree fell on top of it.(sniff).<br />But those dead trees are hard to judge while concentrating on a cut.<br /><br />
Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> The crew named my bucket truck the USS Headbanger. :D
LOL!
58.gif

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I work in the oilfield. I have been made fun of by being a little chicken too. Once on the rig floor something went wrong and a 50 lb piece of metal shot up to the top of the derric and came crashing down. I was all the way off the floor by the time I saw it come down. People remarked they didnt see me around when it happened. I said, darn right, I asnt gonna die out here.<br /><br />I like a hard hat with a flip up face shield. It avoids the scrapes and bruises. It spreads any impact over a larger area, dampening it somewhat.<br /><br />Only need to wear it in difficult situations like this.<br /><br />Ken