I'm just a common man,

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
I just dropped my daughter off at a birthday party, friends of hers from preschool. The home is on a popular lake and the house is newely constructed. This place was easily worth 1.5 million maybe more, There garage is worth more than my house.<br /><br />We do alright, and have a nice place. My favorite week of the year is spent in a cattle trailer as camp for hunting elk, the other 51 weeks of the year the trailer is used for hauling cattle.(we clean it well and throw down used carpeting put in bunks etc).<br /><br />I felt bad for how my daughter was dressed, Nicley but in clothes used for school etc. Every one there was in clothes etc that I could not even tell you where they were purchased (Certianly not from where I shop). <br /><br />Now here is where I am going with this, I had always figured that if my station in life were to change signifigantly enoufgh to allow for such a lifestyle I would pry own a few things that were a bit nicer than what I currantly do but this kind of glitz has no appeal to me.<br /><br />I have been in multimillionaires homes that were a few notches above mine but were still "reasonable".<br /><br />I don't get it, guess I probably never will...What am I missing here?

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I'm just a common man,

You're not missing anything...what's that song that says something about I ain't never seen a hurst with a luggage rack?

dsrchamp04

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the thing about this story that makes me jealous is that you get to go hunting elk every year!! seriously though....id rather spend a week in the woods than a lifetime in a mansion!! :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It's just a different definitition of the word, "wealth". The majority of those who have busted thier assets to buy a huge home in a manicured gated community busted thier assets for exactly that. No doubt, if you were driven by the same same conductor, and you ran on the same fuel they did, you'dd probably be happier in that palace on the lake, than elk-hunting.<br />BTW, I'm with you...Give me fair weather, a flawlessly-running boat, my loving wife and my dawg, and 12Footer is in heaven.

Link

Rear Admiral

Nope your not missing anything neumanns.<br /><br />You ought to meet my brother sometime.<br />Finished high school in the mid 70's and lived in our uncles pickup camper (for three years) until he saved enough money to buy 5 acres and put a single wide moble home on it.<br />He has been a self made multi millionaire since the mid 80s. Has only owned one suit in his life. The one his wife made him buy when they got married. :) (She is a cool level headed gal) His wife still and always has worked a regular job. (Just in case as she says Hubby screws up and looses everything) <br />And yes they still live in that single wide mobile home with their two kids on a dirt road.<br /><br />The fact that they own all the land and houses as far as you can see from that trailer is another matter :) They don't want close neighbors.. <br />The kids dont have a clue and have to do chores for a meager allowance. Less than their friends get and they have to do more work.<br /><br />Same income level but different life styles.

aspeck

Staff member

Talking with a stock broker friend and we were talking about a very "wealthy area" with the mansions et al. I said to him, wouldn't you like to have all of them for your clients. His response, I have several, and they don't have much - all leveraged and payments to the hilt. See the "poor houses" across the street, most of those people have more real wealth, they are not "upside down" with debt.

Twidget

Commander

Aspeck has it nailed. My wife has an uncle that once owned a 12k square foot, 4.5 mil dollar house. <br /><br />He has worked his entire life and dreamed about this house. He tore down a 3k square foot house to build it. He has sold his motel/restaurant and thought he was flush with money.<br /><br />Unfortunately, he carried half of the note on the property and the new owner defaulted on the note. They ended up with the motel back and tax trouble. Well, the IRS doesnt play around, so their house ended up auctioned off for half a million or so. They lost the property also.<br /><br />It was really sad to see happen to a man in his 80's.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

wealth does not mean squat......charictor does, as well as respect for the fellow man.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by pjc:<br /> wealth does not mean squat......charictor does, as well as respect for the fellow man.
emthup.gif

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've always said,"If I ever hit the big lottery, or come into big money, I would not be afraid to squander it! I'd run right out & have all 4 of my tires recaped, spare no expense." But that's just me.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by pjc:<br /> wealth does not mean squat......charictor does, as well as respect for the fellow man.
And neumanns sounds to have tons of the latter two. My respect also.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Healthy?<br />Good family?<br />Able to smile eveyday?<br /><br />Can you watch the stock market without your stomach knotting up?<br /><br />You are rich!<br /><br />Bob

Tyme2fish

Commander

I've always said,"If I ever hit the big lottery, or come into big money, I would not be afraid to squander it! I'd run right out & have all 4 of my tires recaped, spare no expense." But that's just me.<br /><br />I still remember when I bought new re-treads all the way around the car except three!!

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> Healthy?<br />Good family?<br />Able to smile eveyday?<br />You are rich!<br />
Silver from the stars, gold from the morning sun.

dolluper

Captain

Hay you have your health,3 squares a day [food] not beer a roof over your head What else can you ask for and wear whatever clothes you want and not worry about what other people think you got it made in my book Love my well broken in clothes they are comfortable [wife hates that look] :D :D

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

The problem with good common folk is that they are not that common anymore. Don't change.

SoulWinner

Commander

As many of you know, my wife and I were very poor for 15 years of our marriage. Without food stamps we would not have been able to eat. Even with food stamps, we still didn't eat every day. See, we had only one child, and figured that if we couldn't feed him we wouldn't have any more; but if we had more kids we could have gotten a LOT more in government assistance.<br /><br />Anyway, a few years ago we started our business and now we have money. However our roots are still grounded in the poverty we endured for so long. We were both from not-so-well-off families. So now that we have money and pay a pant load of taxes I don't own a suit. I don't even have a button up shirt, just t-shirts and ****ie's blue jeans (I can get them from wally world, they are inexpensive, more comfortable than Levi's and they are tough as nails). We drive Toyota Land Cruisers, but they are 1993 and 1995 respectively, and we paid cash for them. Our house is a little wood frame 1350 square foot humble abode. We don't keep up with the Joneses, because we have the attitude that all the "hoity toity better than thou" folks can kiss our a$$es. All these people with the houses that are bigger than they need, with the cars that are really expensive and depreciating like mad, well they have their values all screwed up and don't have a clue about what is really important in life. That house and those cars don't mean nothing, and none of it will withstand the trial by fire that is awaiting each of us. You CAN have money and be common man. Those that can't go into politics.

NOSLEEP

Commander

No living creature can laugh except man.<br />And so long as you can laugh never will you be poor.<br />Only with laughter and happiness can you truly<br />become a success. Only with laughter and happiness<br />can you truly enjoy the fruits of your labor.<br />Happiness is the wine that sharpens the taste of<br />the meal.<br />To enjoy success you must have happiness, and<br />laughter will be the maiden who serves you.<br />Happiness, not wealth is the true measurement of<br />success.

My brother is an Orthopedic Surgeon, and probably makes between $500K and $1 million per year. He lives in a $1 Million + house. He is a pretty normal guy. He has good days and bad days, just like the rest of us. I am a CPA by trade and, while I'm not exactly struggling to get by, I'm sure not making that kind of money.<br /><br />If he could have one wish, it would be more time. He has a couple kids under 5, and he gets jealous (in a good way) when I call him up and ask if he wants to go to the lake on a bright Saturday morning. Those moments when you see your kids get up on a wakeboard for the first time, or sit and talk around a camp fire on the beach will only come for so long, and then be gone forever.<br /><br />One thing that makes me feel bad for him is the number of people that ask him for money. It is always a new business venture, or investment opportunity, or life insurance policy. He is pretty good about saying no, but it is a constant battle for him. <br /><br />In short, most wealthy people I know don't look down on someone for driving a 10 year old car, or wearing a 5 year old suit. Most of them were there once. That said, a 10,000 sq ft house or 45 foot yacht doesn't make you happier. It just means that you have more stuff to take care of.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Most here know from my past posts until last year we were also relying on government assistance. I missed many meals, sometimes going 2 days without eating so I could feed my children. I found I can definately survive 2 days on 1 PB&J sammich. My only luxury is my old boat I got cheap because it was broken and my old car I have had since high school. <br />Slowly we are gaining ground, and actually have not had an overdraft from the bank in 3 months! <br />I have lived many different lifestyles, none of them being rich. I grew up gardening hunting and fishing for a majority of our food. We rasied chickens and I spent many many winters eating nothing but eggs and chickens. I can't choke down a chicken meal now, but survived. Our only heat was an old wood stove because we couldn't afford to fix the gas furnace. We couldn't leave for more than a day in the winter without draining all of the pipes in the house for freezing. I have owned land and cattle and actually made a good comfortable living, but something was missing. <br />Now we are poor in terms of money. My children will know nothing but Wal Mart clothes and hard work. That is the way I want it. <br />I grew up dirt poor, but didn't know it until now when I look back. <br />Even though I am poor and scratching daily for everything, working 3 jobs, still skipping a few meals to feed my kids, I am rich beyond all of my dreams. I live in a nice small 2 bedroom house that I built mostly with my own 2 hands, I have 3 wonderful children that are the joy of my life, I have a great wife that never complains about anything. <br />I know exactly what you must be thinking. It makes you wonder when you see this if your doing enough for your children. It makes you think and hope that none of these other girls make fun of her for her dress or her home. <br />To my shock I have spoken with a person with the big home, the designer clothes, the fancy car. He looks and envies MY life because I am still real. His wife gets angry if he doesn't want her to go shopping. His daughter gets mad if she can't have the expensive clothes. He envies my happieness and if his family would allow it would trade it with me in an instant.<br />My aunt has re-married though, they built a large new house, the most expensive in town. They drive the best car in town, the dress the best all of the signs of wealth. BUT she remembers where she came from, and so does her new husband. They both are widowed so have been from bottom to top. The only sign talking to them that they have money is the outward appearance of the house and their possessions. But with them if anyone would ask for anything they would glandly hand it over.