I'm just a common man,

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: I'm just a common man,

I am just a regular joe too. Some peoples garages are bigger than my house! I would much rather have the time with the family, than to have to work all that hard. We have plenty of fun doing simple easy things.<br /><br />I too am envious of the elk hunt, I always wanted to do that.<br /><br />If you want to get good clothes for the kids. shop at the many outlet stores. I hardly ever pay full price for any clothes. There are also some real bargins on ebay. My kids always are in nice clothes, but I never EVER pay those high prices. We only buy off the clearence rack.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Been "rich", Neumanns. Had more money and power than I knew what to do with.<br /><br />Been poor, too. Not knowing where the next meal for my children would come from.<br /><br />Problems are different. The "bigger" you are, the bigger the worries are, and you worry about different things.<br /><br />I was sad or happy in more comfort when I had a lot, but not happier.<br /><br />This is the happiest time of my life, so far. I have what I need and a little bit more. It is important to know the difference between what you need and what you merely want. I live alone in a "doublewide", see my favorite woman (former wife), children and grandbuddies regularly and lust for nothing I don't have. I have a great bunch of friends on iboats, get to fish for muskies with my son every year, eat what and when I please and enjoy the peace and solitude of 120 wilderness acres loaded with my wild friends and a few freeloading horses.<br /><br />I don't see myself as a "common man" though. I see myself as extraordinarily fortunate and rich beyond what money can buy.<br /><br />Regularly counting your blessings can do that.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

AMEN JB. Rich is a very subjective item. But I bet more people would envy you your "riches" if they had ever experienced what it is like.<br />Rock On Dude,

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting thread.<br /><br />Reminded me of a 'things aren't always what they seem to be' story.<br /><br />Back in the mid-80's my Mom had a little paint store where I'd work part time. They sold high end house paint, wallpapers, did decorator type consulting and custom color matching in a very very affluent suburb of the DFW area. The neighborhoods where people would buy a million dollar house, then tear it down and build what they really wanted.<br /><br />One day, this rather rude and snotty woman who was obviously very wealthy was in--- being a pain in the transom, and one of our regular customers came in. <br /><br />He was always pleasant, never questioned the price, or asked the same question twice.<br />I'd seen him off and on, about a year and dealt with him often as he was repainting his house himself. So,,,, I eased away from the nasty 'ole woman and went to wait on him.<br /><br />He always came up in a giant 20 year old Pontiac that was so rusted ya almost couldn't tell what color it was supposed to be, wearing clothes that looked like he'd pulled out of the trash.<br /><br />The woman was complaining about how much her house painters were charging...... In a rather snooty tone, she asked the old guy if he painted houses, "Yes, I do little of that on ocassion", he said.<br /><br />"How much would you charge to paint the trim on my house"?<br /><br />He pondered it a moment, "Well", he said, "normally when I hire out, I charge $25,000 an hour".<br /><br />The woman looked like she'd just swallowed her tongue...... and without another word, she left.<br /><br />A few minutes later, the old guy left.<br /><br />I asked my Mom if she knew him, "Oh yeah", she said, " He comes in all the time. He's one of the premiere Neuro-Surgeons here in Dallas. He's the 'go to guy' for removing brain tumors, and doing difficult spinal surgerys".

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Houses are assets IMHO just like other investments. Some people are just moving up from selling one place to another.<br /><br />I think it is more an issue of finding your FRP (final resting place) some think it is bigger house, better neighborhood, more rooms etc.<br /><br />they are building homes close by to us that are 500k and up <br /><br />new neighbors just moved into a 600k house that is about 5k square feet, a month after they moved in they were telling me what a mistake it was to have such a big house with 3 kids, they thought this was going to be their dream home and already they were telling me about plans to move into a "country" house with land. <br /><br />My inlaws moved from a 1800sqft split level into "their dream house" a 5k sqft house on 6 acres for the 2 of them. They "love" spending 1 full day a week cleaining it and walking up and down 3 full flights of stairs to do laundry and I am sure they "love" the fact that when we were there in the winter the heat pump ran for 55 minutes and turned off for 5 minutes before running again (I was wondering why there was always this cool breeze)<br /><br />When I was young I worked on a dairy farm for a wealthy wealthy wealthy lady (homes in londan, hawaii, milan etc etc) she drove a old jeep wagoneer and had a rolls royce in the garage because the rolls was too expensive to run and the jeep was fun.<br /><br /><br />Anyway - The real issue is if they are real people not the trappings that come with them<br /><br />As for me I am in my FRP and to me it is worth millions!

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

There are folks that live in the Third World.<br /><br />There are folks that live in our world.<br /><br />There are folks that live in another world.<br /><br />just remember, its different strokes for different folks.<br /><br />By the way, I'm indifferent :D <br /><br />Cheer up neumanns, we are the lucky ones ;)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

To me my house is more than an asset. It is OUR home. We bought it 10 years ago for $10,500. Since then as the money came in we gutted it to the frame and re-built it. It is still one of the smaller houses in town. I have recently borrowed money and am in the process of adding 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. The bathroom fixtures are all coming from an old house that is being torn down. (except the toilet, I have a problem with that). Not the best but free. We talked of selling a few years back when a country home came for sale, but couldn't do it. We made it with our own hands, designed it ourselves, pounded every nail ourselves as money would allow. <br />My only complaint is I don't live in the country. This is the first time I have ever lived in town in my life. <br />We went shopping yesterday and got my daughters some new clothes. Some are designer type, very expensive clothes. Some are wal mart cheap clothes. One set still has the tag on. I think we spent $53 all together. This was at the Good Will store. Very good quality clothing and the profits go to a good cause.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the end, it doesn't matter. <br /><br />On a sidenote, something is really bothering me. Are you ready to learn about my generation's biggest problem? <br /><br />My generation (18-32) seems to value material wealth as the greatest priority. They are preoccupied with it to an extreme level. I mean that. It is more important than family, marriage, relationships, you name it. It is the only ticket to any self worth. So many in my generation are already living on one huge monthly payment. We plan on forking over that monthly payment for the rest of their lives. Why do we do this? Try to follow along. <br /><br />We have to have the best of everything - NOW. Why now? Not later when we have really accomplished something, but now. Because our friends, acquatances, brothers, sisters have it. If my best friend has it, then why can't I? John just bought a brand new car, but David has a new Mercedes. He can't let that happen. John now hates his brand new car. Now he needs a Mercedes. All of his confidence depends on it. And that's not all. Because a such ridiculous amount of emphasis is placed on material wealth, then I would feel very inferior. My self worth would go to zero. Why? Because everyone else my age cares about it so much. I can't drive a car more than two years old. It's just too embarassing. It gets worse. What if I lose my job, and maybe sell my 1 year old boat. That's impossible, because you can never trade downward. It would be just to depressing. It is just too much to ask. So I'll take out more debt, so I can at least stay at the same level of material wealth.<br /><br />Will many people of my generation truly be financially wealthy later in life? No. Just more debt and more monthly payments. More and more living beyond means.<br /><br />Fortunatley I am not speaking from personal direct experience, but I see this in a ridiculous majority of people around my age. <br /><br />I am 26 years old and 3 years married. I am a construction management student. My wife of the same age is a very successful tax accountant. I grew up middle class. My parents grew up middle class. They are now really wealthy because of their parents and family who, because of the great depression, saved and saved and saved. I am spoiled as hell now. But it is not important. It doesn't matter. It's nice, it's fun but I am sure as hell not entitled to anything. My self worth doesn't fluctuate day in and day out based on that bigger, fancier boat down the street. Somehow, for some reason, I did not fall into this trap like the rest of my generation. Nor did my wife. Thank God. My 6 year old Hyundai Elantra that is REALLY cheap on gas is fine with me, and so is our one bedroom apartment.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey! I'm a multimillionair. Yeah, that's it, I just don't like showing off! I prefer looking like some average joe totally stressed out and harried from too many things to do and not enought time to do it.<br /><br />Yes siree, I had you all fooled. :D :D :D

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Hey! I'm a multimillionair. Yeah, that's it, I just don't like showing off! I prefer looking like some average joe totally stressed out and harried from too many things to do and not enought time to do it.<br /><br />Yes siree, I had you all fooled. :D :D :D
Money doesnt buy happiness, just a boat big enough to pull right up beside it. :D

Kenneth Brown

Captain

For a new guy Brett is extremely smart. I see the world the same as he does. We are looking at building a new house. Its gonna run 123,000. That 1250 a month payment to me is ridicoulous. My wife is finally seeing what all we could do with the money instead. I have no desire to be tied down to a payment that big. It would leave no extra play money at all.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I have a question for you Neumanns.<br />How do you get on with the other father?<br />My experience tells me that often, very wealthy people are also nice and often very realistic people, especially those who have had to do something for their wealth as opposed to being born-to-it.<br />What do you think his reaction would be if you say... asked him to join you and some mates on a days fishing or something. Maybe he envys you for something.<br />As a side note - I heard back that my wife had said to a.........we'll say an important person......that we've been friends with for a long time........"you men all look ridiculous with your clother off". So in the end, we really are all the same.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> We are looking at building a new house. Its gonna run 123,000. That 1250 a month payment to me is ridicoulous. My wife is finally seeing what all we could do with the money instead....
Home ownership is major accomplishment for most people and does not come easy. How about building a less expensive house? Or buying an older home that is less expensive. <br /><br />What are the taxes? Even if you put down only 5% on a 30 year mortguage the principal and intereste is $664 mo! So taxes are in the range of $6000 a year? Are you aware that local taxes are a direct reduction of you Federal taxable income? So you effectivally save up to 1/3 of your local tax money, depending on income bracket. Same with the interest payment. Directly reduces your federal taxable income. Just hate to see you toss a house because you think you can't afford it. <br /><br />OK, I'll butt out now.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Kiwi...I didn't hang out, it was a drop off deal. However in my past limited interaction I found him to be 'nice'. But I feel compelled to point out that was in no way my point. I understand the desire to own a nice home or a prefered location...what I don't get is the excessivness. I have been in homes that ranged from a few thousand dollers on up to many millions of dollers and it seems to me that once a home hits a certian threshold anything above just becomes a excercise in "How much money can we spend just for the sake of spending it"...what is the satisfaction in that?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Mark- That has the taxes and insurance figured in on a 20 year note with nothing down. We don't have to money top put down, nothing to liquidate either. Our house we have now is paid for and we were planning on putting that towards the new house after moving into the new one. We are looking for something less pricey. Living on the farm is something both of us really want. Looks like we will just have to cut back and quit trying to keep up with the Jone's. We could afford the house that we really desire. The prob is that it doesn't leave much play money. Neither of us have ever taken a BIG vacation. Thats on the to do list, several times. Alaska and Yellowstone both in the next 5 years. With the big house it would be harder to swing. I've always been a scrouge, never spending anything, tight as a fishes butt. We are 30 and 31 and its time to start spending the kids inheritance.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> It's just a different definitition of the word, "wealth".
I'm glad you said that.<br /><br />I got a buddy, who brought me in here, but due to various reasons, no longer visits or posts.<br /><br />He's a 'work-a-day' sort, and has been all his life. We were talking about large amounts of income once.. or the lack of it, in our case(s). <br /><br />He made the observation/statement, <br /><br />"Rich,,, well,,,,, I've been rich all my life. Of course,,,, it'd be nice to someday have a lot of money".

Triton II

Commander

I feel rich because the only thing that matters is the boat is paid for! :cool: