Ignition Coil no spark on top

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm fixing a rope start tiller 15hp Johnson 2000 for my brother that he got for nothing and have everything put together now and tested it and got no ignition. I tested it with my home made 8 cylinder spark tester and found that only the bottom side of the Ignition coil is firing/sparking. I changed the spark plug wires to a set from another engine I know are good and got same results. I switched around the primary wires coming from the power pack and still only got spark only from the bottom bank (this is the type of coil that has two banks (see picture). Is there any other possibility that this coil may be good and the problem is elsewhere?

Attachments

• photo311286.jpg
    photo311286.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a quality difference in this coil between BRP, Sierra, CDI ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you own a multi-meter and know how to use one, this is a simple test. Test the primary side of the coil(s) and see what they read. Should be a low resistance reading. The do the same with the secondary side, should be a lot higher resistance reading. The spark plug output terminal is one part of the secondary side and ground is the other. See if both read the same but certainly not zero resistance. If one does and the other one doesn't, time to buy a new part. JMHO

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did the ignition coil ohmmeter tests per page 3-10 attached and got:

Test #1 - my ohmmeters digital and analog do not measure precise down to the spec 0.1 ohm, the digital was 1 ohm and the analog from .40 to .80 on top and bottom

Test #2 - Top 270 ohms, Bottom 273 ohms

Attachments

• photo311288.jpg
    photo311288.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, to conclude the thread, I finally received the new coil Evinrude BRP OEM 0583740 and installed it and am getting good spark now, it jumps the 7/16" perfect. Job completed, thanks everyone.

Now on to the next problem, the new head gasket is leaking out water all over the place, I'll start a new thread.