Idle adjustment

DT35

Seaman Apprentice
How do you turn the idle up on a 1958 super sea horse 35. It's been converted to remote controls?

lindy46

Captain
Should be an idle stop adjustment on the port side of the engine - sort of a small plastic thumb-screw type bolt. Turn it clockwise to increase the idle.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Like was suggested in your earlier thread, disconnect the remote throttle cable at the motor. Adjust the idle stop screw as described above, then reattach the remote cable. The slow speed travel of the throttle lever at the box will hold at the rpms set by the idle stop screw.

Your idle should be about 650 rpms in the water, warm and in gear. If you can't keep it running at about that speed (i.e., runs only at a faster idle), the issue is probably dirty idle passages in the carb or adjustment of the idle mix screw at the carb -- different issue(s) from adjusting the throttle speed/idle stop, but works in tandem. The motor should slip smoothly into gear at a comfortable idle, with no stalling.

Last edited:

DT35

Seaman Apprentice
I disconnected the remote throttle and spun the plastic idle screw with absolutely no result.nothing happened so I imagine it's time to rebuild the carb? Where would I get a rebuild kit?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Kits are easily available -- can order one through iBoats. Cleaning and rebuilding involves complete teardown -- recommend soaking all metal parts, including carb top and bowl. Carefully clear all passages, including the ones under that domed plug on the top (replacement plug comes in a kit). Those are your idle passages.