SmallC47.jpg

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: Identify This Object......if u can!

I know it's Ross Perot.......

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Tail of plane with refueling boom hanging out.

D

DJ

Refueling boom? Or, a muffler bearing?

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

"We sent the signal but we don't know why Batman still hasn't shown up yet?" :D If you are trying to look at this picture from an imaginary view....that's mine! :p

sloopy

Commander

no it is a tail wheel (tail dragger airplane).

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Buddy of mine has an old Luscombe tail-dragger.. I suppose his plane would look somethin like that from underneath..<br /><br />As for exactly what plane that is, I have no clue.. :confused:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Almost looks like the tail section of a C-47 aircraft.<br />Don't know, but looks like it with the tail gear hanging out like that.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I dunno, but methinks SBN wins the box of snickers. Izit a Douglas C-47/DC-3 tail?<br />Hard to get a grip of it's actual scale.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Almost looks like the tail section of a C-47 aircraft.<br />Don't know, but looks like it with the tail gear hanging out like that.<br /><br />--------------------<br />IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER.......AND SINCE IT'S IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER<br />
Well almost is close enough! I had designs in the back of my mind about who would get it correct and SBN... you the man! :D I win too!<br /><br />Yes, it is the tail section viewed from underneath of the venerable and trustworthy C-47 from World War II. Army Air Corp days. My dad was a crew chief on one in Burma. Great plane. And many a para-trooper viewed it from just this angle as they hit the silk.

Stumpknocker

Snapperbait you win too! DC-3 was and is the civilian version. Honorable mentions to 12Footer as well. 12 you were my runner up on the list of top contenders here.<br /><br />This bird is nose down in a field not far from me and shall not grace the skys again. :rolleyes:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

LOL, we doubled, snapperbait. Yup I think that's it.<br />Local mosquito control's airport is about 1 mile due north of my home. They have four of them.They keep them in factory condition too. Best aircraft everr designed, concidering it was designed and first built in 1933 (I think), and are still in service around the world.

D

DJ

Yep,<br /><br />Tail wheel, that's it.<br /><br />Boy, do I feel stupid. Trick question. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Seeing that I'm also an aviation buff. We could really get into a good fight as to the aspects of "tail draggers" vs. "tricycle" gear. :eek:

Stumpknocker

DJ is an aviation buff? Hmmm... perhaps I do have a trick photo for you up my sleeve somewhere. I am so very evil.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> LOL, we doubled, snapperbait. Yup I think that's it.<br />Local mosquito control's airport is about 1 mile due north of my home. They have four of them.They keep them in factory condition too. Best aircraft everr designed, concidering it was designed and first built in 1933 (I think), and are still in service around the world.
12'er, me thinks 1935 was when they seen their maiden flight.

sloopy

Commander

Real men fly tail draggers... (that's what john says) <br /><br />Why am I now stuck flying a 172!?!?!?

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hey DJ you think you feel silly? I thought that this thread was looking at the picture from a comical standpoint and not a technical one! I feel even sillier. And I work on planes for a living. :D

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Luscombe, thats the one that taught me about grood loops, and what those pedals are used for. good old 8a-e

D

DJ

Gil009,<br /><br />Now that I'm prepared for a mind twister.<br /><br />Bring it on. :)