Identify This Object......if u can!

D

DJ

Re: Identify This Object......if u can!

From Sloopy,<br /><br />
Real men fly tail draggers... (that's what john says) <br /><br />Why am I now stuck flying a 172!?!?!?<br /><br />
Or, is it that "tail draggers" are never really sure what they're sitting in. ;)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I have dropped out of one of those things 8 times, and although only going 96knots, I can tell you after stepping out the door,I never once saw the plane, let alone the bottom of it.<br />Mind you, we had Special Forces soldiers from Malaysia. <br />One was called Cpl Kamarazaman. We called him Cpl Kamakazeeee as he never opened his eyes till the guys either side of him in the line yelled at him (when we were all out flying in the canopies). He was a down right danger to all there.<br />The other Capt Schl...... (better not use his name as he is probably their C in C now). He would never jump out the bl**dy thing,just turn left in the doorway and do a small bunny hop. Swear to god we could hear his head bouncing off the outside of the fusilage. Sound like a muffled burst from an auto.<br />They were better to jumnp from than the C130 but the Andover (military version of the Fokker Friendship)was the best. Beautiful plane.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Come on Kiwi Phil, you are destroying my poetic license here! :D lol. I can hear the guys head bumping the fuselage in my mind now! What a hoot!

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Sorry Gil009. Maybe it was his head, maybe it wasn't, but as he was the most senior officer on the course, we played it for all it was worth. After a drop when back in the flight room, some wit would tell him he "had done it again" to everyones amusement. <br />He was a really good bloke tho. Being a Muslim he didn't drink, but he always came to town to do the pubs with us. Being the only one that wasn't legless he would drive us all back to the barracks. :D <br />Did they use the DC3 as a crop duster (we called them Top Dressers) in the US. They did in NZ.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

geofthro

Seaman

Top dreeser planes! As young kids we were able to ride along in the planes and catch the views as they sprayed the farms! Crop dusting!

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I rode a C-47 and survived---so, I win too.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Stumpknocker

My curiosity is up.... in what manner did you ride one...?

Trent

Captain

a.jpg
<br /><br />Iv been servicing this DC3/C47 for over 15 years.<br />15 Years ago it was brown in color and not red. Same scheme other wise. We have done several upgrades as needed to the craft. She only flys about fifty hours a year now. Keeping pilots current and airshows.<br /><br /> web page

Stumpknocker

Trent... no go on the image....try again.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The first plane I ever flew in was a DC3 - back in the 1960s when the local airline of the time (NAC) was flying them on domestic routes. I flew return from Auckland to Rotorua with my father, who was spending the day there on business.<br /><br />Since then I've heard pilots who've flown them talk very kindly of them. There's still a DC3/Dakota that flies regular tourist/site-seeing flights over Auckland...every Sunday I think.<br /><br />
awp_plains.jpg
<br /><br />The DC3 in the picture is painted in it's original NAC colours - identical to that which I flew in as a boy.<br /><br />( NAC was later merged into what is now "Air New Zealand" )

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

SPANZ (South Pacific Airlines of New Zealand also operated DC3's during the sixties on passenger service ( I flew in one) but my most vivid memories of the type were the C47's that Operation Deep Freeze (USAF) flew to Antartica out of Invercargill. Those poor aircraft were sooooo overloaded that they required 3 or 4 rows of JATO rockets strapped underneath to get enough speed for take off. Spectacular stuff at 3 or 4 am. Most of the population would turn out of bed to watch the fireworks show.<br /><br />Regards<br />Peter

TilliamWe

Banned

Gil, that plane isn't the one at Fantasy of Flight, by any chance is it?

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I remember years ago seeing a picture of a DC3 that had been converted to jets.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Ahh! Memories, I can recall as a child flying from Accra in Ghana to Kumasi in DC3's, or Dekotas as we used to call them, They were Ex RAF daks and you could see the old RAF roundalls under the proud white paint of Ghana Airways. They would hop just above the jungle for the 45min flight, one moment that sticks in my mind was standing at the airstrip in Kumasi waving my older brother off, as the Dak lurched off the runway there was an almighty bang and one of the engines poured smoke. My mother was in hysterics, I thought it was great fun, the plane landed safetly and it appeared that the bung from the toilet had come loose and had gone through the motor. The pilot waved from the cockpit and told everyone to "come back tomorrow". <br />There surely has not been a more versatile plane, Passanger plane, bomber, glider tug, cargo, paratroop plane, some had rockets fitted to the fusalage for ground attack and still flying today.<br />Ahh!!! the memories<br />Grant, dont Know about Jets but 3 turboprops were tried, one in the nose.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br /> Gil, that plane isn't the one at Fantasy of Flight, by any chance is it?
I'm not Gil, but you are correct in your assumption. She sits on the side of I-4 in Polk City, FL. nose down with her tail high in the air. There used to be a dummy in paratrooper gear hanging from the tail also. I've heard that the sherriffs office still recieves calls about a plane that has crashed near the highway from out-of-towners thinking they are seeing an accident scene.I've been to Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight museum recently and drive by the place all the time. Cool stuff he's got there.<br /><br />Another aviation buff<br />Dave