ID lower unit on sterndrive

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey question guys I am finally getting to doing the preventive maintenance on the new/used MC-1 I picked up to replace my alpha one gen one but I have a question I am trying to figure out which waterpump kit to order as there is no preload pin on the shaft or oring in the groove. makes me wonder if it is a alpha one lower instead of a MC-1 lower.

sorry for stupid question but I know there are ones more knowledgeable than me,

yonu

thumpar

Admiral
Re: ID lower unit on sterndrive

Unless you are replacing the base they are all the same. They only thing that changed was the base, everything above is the same kit (at least until the Gen II). Since you don't have the pin I would thing that your base is the same as alpha but wait for someone with more knowledge to confirm that.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Unless you are replacing the base they are all the same. They only thing that changed was the base, everything above is the same kit (at least until the Gen II). Since you don't have the pin I would thing that your base is the same as alpha but wait for someone with more knowledge to confirm that.

Correct... If you have no pin in the top of the drive-shaft then you have an MR or Alpha One lower (both use a 46-44292A3 base)..... Or some moron has cut the pin off the top of an R or MC-1, thinking that's the right thing to do... :facepalm: So, have a close look at the very top of the shaft... Post a close-up photo if you need to.

Chris..........

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I just checked and the top of the shaft ont he lower from the mc-1 and alpha one are identical down to the dimple in the top so I can safly assume the mc-1 I got has a alpha or MR lower and order a alpha waterpump base correct?

Yonu

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ok I just checked and the top of the shaft ont he lower from the mc-1 and alpha one are identical down to the dimple in the top so I can safly assume the mc-1 I got has a alpha or MR lower and order a alpha waterpump base correct?

Yonu

No, the MC-1 and R have a preload pin, the MR and Alpha One have no pin (just a 'dimple' where the shaft was supported in the manufacturing process)...