I want to remove carpet

Pauly708

Recruit
Hi. I have a '97 Four Winns 225 Sundowner. This spring I wanted to remove the carpet. The carpet isn't in bad shape, I just dont like the having carpet in it all the time. I might decide to install the easy removable kind that snaps in and out. I'm assuming I can just pull the old stuff up and that there's a glue/adhesive that will need to be removed. After that though is what I'm not sure I'm in store for. Is it fiberglass under there or a plywood? If fiberglass, do I have to recoat it and with what? Please help, thanks

Last edited:

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I want to remove carpet

Same question as OP. I have carpet and would love it gone.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Most likely you have plywood covered – hopefully – with fiberglass or a coat of poly resin with no glass. Post some picture of what you see under the carpet. Different factories do it differently.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'd expect a 4Winns 22ft boat to have gelcoat before carpet, but I have little other then what I've seen @iboats to base that on.

Might PM another 4Winns Sundowner & see if they've pulled the carpet. Isn't bgc's a similar sized 4Winns?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

More than likely since it's a 97' it will be a plywood substrate covered with fiberglass mat and resin. That is not going to be your problem. Removing the Carpet adhesive is. That stuff is some of the hardest material to remove there is. It's discussed ad infinitum here on the forum and there is just no easy or reliable method for doing it. Chemical removal will prolly be your best bet and that's nasty and pricey. Once you do get it off there are several viable alternatives. Textured Gelcoat and Vinyl are two popular choices as well as the snap in carpet previously mentioned.

Pauly708

Recruit

Yes I am assuming that there will be a coating over the plywood like a fiberglass. The floor is very sturdy and in good shape. I was just wondering after I peel that carpet up and remove the glue, would I need to recoat the floor with something? If so what what would be a good product to use? I dont have any pictures right now and won't be starting the project till spring or at least until we here in Chicago ever get outta this deep freeze winter. I was just trying to get an idea of what I'll be tackling and what it'll cost so I can plan my budget for other projects I want to do with the boat. This is my first boat and I just bought it towards the end of last season. Its in good shape and runs great and doesn't really need anything, but there's just a few things I want to do to it.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Nautolex (textured marine vinyl) is cheap, easy and durable. I like mine a lot. It may save you a bunch of work trying to get that adhesive completely removed.

Pauly708

Recruit

More than likey since it's a 97' it will be a plywood substrate covered with fiberglass mat and resin. That is not going to be your problem. Removing the Carpet adhesive is. That stuff is some of the hardest material to remove there is. It's discussed ad infinitum here on the forum and there is just no easy or reliable method for doing it. Chemical removal will prolly be your best bet and that's nasty and pricey. Once you do get it off there are several viable alternatives. Textured Gelcoat and Vinyl are two popular choices as well as the snap in carpet previously mentioned.

Thanks... Yes I think I do like the snap in carpet and i do what that eventually but I would like to have it with no carpet most of the time. I guess ill just have to wait and see how it comes off.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If in fact it is Resin Coated glass, as I said you can Gelcoat it, put vinyl on it, paint it or leave it alone and put the snap on carpet over it. I requires No special coating. It's fine as it is just ugly. If you're not going to carpet it, then the Gelcoat or other alternatives come into play.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Defender often has the best online price for Nautolex

Pauly708

Recruit

If in fact it is Resin Coated glass, as I said you can Gelcoat it, put vinyl on it, paint it or leave it alone and put the snap on carpet over it. I requires No special coating. It's fine as it is just ugly. If you're not going to carpet it, then the Gelcoat or other alternatives come into play.

Thank you. I definitely dont want it to look ugly and the snap carpet might be another project in the future but I just think no carpet is the better route to go.