I want a boat....But don't have any clue what I should get

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: I want a boat....But don't have any clue what I should get

From experience.

Several years ago we got a Zodiac Cadet 340 FR...that is an 11' boat with an air floor that can be folded up and transported pretty easily. It is rated for 15HP. This is a pretty similar boat the to Saturn SD 330.

At the time we had a 1968 Evinrude 9.5 hp motor. The motor would just barely get the boat up on plane when there were two people in the boat. With one person the boat would go maybe 15 mph tops. That same motor would push a 12' aluminum boat about 20-22 mph. The aluminum boat has a lot less surface area in the water when on plane and glides through the water a lot easier.

We upgraded to a 90s 15hp Mercury for the Zodiac soon there after. Now this thing started to be fun. The boat would easily plane with 2 people and would run about 20 mph with two people. It could get on plane with 4 light adults but it was struggling to do that. With one person the boat would hop on plane really easily and would scoot right along. It would become airborne at the slightest wave. If the motor was tilted right and the driver was willing to kneel in the back of the boat and hold on it could run with just a the rear of the tubes and the keel in the water. It was fun. A PFD and kill lanyard was a must. I never flipped it but came too close for comfort several times. Running this boat in this manner was really hard on it. It was not designed to be run hard. It was intended to be used as a tender/dinghy. It has required some repairs but it is still useable and seems to have held up ok.

You need at a minimum 15hp for an 11' boat to have any "fun". If you go to to a 12' or larger boat you will want more power.

Johnsons and Evinrudes are pretty easy to get and are dead realiable in the 15hp size. I would get something from at least the mid 70s. The same basic motor was used all the way into the 90s.

If you want a Mercury I would get one that is a little newer one (late 80s early 90s) if you can afford it.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

Oh wow. Very interesting.

Thank you for your post. Tons of information you've supplied me :).

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

I'm going down to the marina right now. I'll ask some questions.

I also talked to my fellow firefighters. One of them who seemed experienced with boats told me that a 15 hp on a 11' would be no problem and I'd have plenty of run going over wakes/waves and around the bay area.

I would like to hear a few more positive things about Saturn before I buy it... I want to feel confident in it :).

I'll keep looking for motors.

I'm going to keep on researching.

Thanks!

surfga

Cadet

Okay, so I've run into a bit of a problem. I can only use my car to transport a boat and I'm not 100% sure if it'll actually fit in my car.

The dimensions of the 11' folded up were 45x22x15. I have a 97 Ford Mustang... The back seats do fold forward, but I'm kind of skeptical as to whether or not the boat and motor, etc. will all fit in the car.

Getting a trailer might actually make it possible to get a longer inflatable boat... I think 12' would be enough? I know it's personal preference, but I feel like I don't know what size is needed to not feel like a "tiny boat" in a channel with 40 footers making decent wakes at slow speed...

I do like this boat...
http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable_boat_sd365.asp

I'll do what you all suggested and go down to a marina and ask questions.. Since I don't understand comparing HP to speed and power of the boat.

Since I won't have transport issues. It still must be deflatable to stow in the garage or basement.

Is it possible to get a trailer under 1k to pull a 11' - 18' boat? If possible I'd like to be able to take apart the trailer to stow it in the garage.

I have the Saturn SD385, slightly bigger than the SD365. I bought it this year and I like it fine so far. I run a 25hp Yamaha and it hauls.

As far as being compact, It takes more than a sports car to hold my gear, that's for sure. I have a Land Cruiser and I almost pack it full with my boating stuff. The boat, engine, fuel tank, paddles, bimini top, seats, soft cooler for drinks and food, air compressor, PFDs, all my USCG gear, first aid kit, night running gear, other odd and ends, Small dry storage for personal items is what I carry. The boat is a beast to carry in the bag, it weighs about 130+ lbs and is awkward. Sure you could carry less stuff, but I don't like to be without anything I might want for a day of boating.

I have my boat set up in about 40 minutes and in the water at the ramp. Easy peasy. I love my set-up and is perfect for small storage boating solutions, despite a few cumbersome items to deal with.

For reference, I bought my boat new along with all my safety gear and my engine was slightly used. I have about $3600 invested total. This number could vary greatly no doubt, but I sunk the majority of my money in the engine and am very glad I did. Money well spent.

Hope this helps.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

You've helped more than I could of asked you to!

I'm beginning to get the impression that although the boat is important I should focus more money into the engine. It's what will last and is sort of the main component of the boat.

I'm very fixated on a 15 hp. I'm still clueless if I can afford one that has an electric start, and possibly the mechanisms that allow it to be connected to a steering wheel... Maybe a steering wheel is pushing it. I don't know. What I do know is that if the motor is around 1k that's fine by me... If I can get a 25 hp for a TINY bit more... I'll take it. I don't know if i can get a 25 hp motor used for around 1k or even under it.

If I can get a 25 hp engine with a good price I'll spend the extra $100 something to get the 12'. The 11" says it can only handle up to a 15 HP.

I'm also hearing mixed feelings about a 15 vs a 25 hp in a small boat like the one I'd like to purchase. I was told that it may have more power, but I won't see a noticeable speed increase.

Another little thing that is bothering me is size of boat. Is an 11' (or 12) sufficient enough to be in the channel where huge boats travel through? They can seriously throw a big wake from behind them. I want to be 100% sure I won't feel like a small boat in a bath tub :).

I want to ultimately stay within budget (which I think is around 1800 now the more I think about it), but I don't want to loose any fun because I wanted to go with the minimum.

What I think I'll do is get that trailer that was posted before and hook it up to my Mustang.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2575

I just have to take measurements to make sure the Mustang can fit the motor... Or figure a way to tie it down on top of the trailer with boat.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Another little thing that is bothering me is size of boat. Is an 11' (or 12) sufficient enough to be in the channel where huge boats travel through? They can seriously throw a big wake from behind them. I want to be 100% sure I won't feel like a small boat in a bath tub :).

You will feel small in anything less than 20ft. Don't worry about it. An inflatable by its natures is very bouyant and going over big wakes shouldn't be too much of a problem. With some common sense inflateables are probably some of the safest boats out there.

I would actually suggest sticking with an 11' boat with a 15 hp motor. One reason is weight. If you get a motor much bigger than 15hp it will be too heavy to carry around on a regular basis. Same goes for the boat. If you want to carry this thing around and stuff you will need to keep it small.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice
Motors...

Motors...

#1http://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/1335316217.html

$700

#2http://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/1305471996.html
$600
#3http://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/1307651470.html
$800
#4http://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/1283944739.html
$1200
(4 stroke with electric start).

Is 4 stroke and electric start just a convenience? The last one seems nice also because it's from 2001. Hehe maybe I can bargain him down to 1050.

#5http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/1299394639.html
$600
Saturn can only take short shaft. Can shafts be changed cheaply?

#6http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/1287493973.html

$795 (I like this one)

#7http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/1310360105.html
$450?? Can this get any better? The price seems like a steal.

Does it matter if it's 2 stroke or 4 stroke? It comes with an electric start which seems good.

Is it worth changing the shaft to short? Or should I look for a motor that has a short shaft to begin with?

I know my post is long... I may be a little excited too... I do like the price of #7. I'm looking for advice from anyone :).

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Motors...

Re: Motors...

Get a short shaft, 2-stroke, pull start.

Electric start will be worthless unless you plan to have a battery in a box that you haul around in the boat all the time. It will be a big pain if you plan to colapse the boat after every use.

Shaft length can be changed on a evinrude or johnson pretty easily. However it will require either a different lower unit or tearing apart the existing one to install a short shaft. It can be done...but, for the money just buy a short shaft to begin with.

4-stroke in that size motor doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A 2-stroke takes essentially 0 maintenance and with a portable 6 gallon tank it is utterly simple to pre-mix.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The one you tagged as liking looks like a good buy. Have them start it in a barrel and makes sure it runs. Do you know how to check compression? It's really easy and worth the $15-20 for the guage to buy one and take it with you or ask the seller if they have one. If it's a pull start you probably want anything above 60psi and make sure that both reading are within 10-15% of each other.

Another option if it runs is base the sale on a thorough check by a mechanic. Have the seller drop the motor off and if it checks out good you pay the bill. I wouldn't think that would run over $100.

As for the other motors you linked to, I have a real problem when someone is selling something for that amount of money and can't take the time to take a picture. I usually pass stuff by on CL when they do that just because it makes me mad. Or they ask you to e-mail them to get pics. I've wasted wasy to much time going to see something that turned out to be junk.

And I agree that you won't need electric start. Just adds more weight to the motor and anything under 20hp is normally very easy to pull start. You would also have to pack around a 50lb battery to start the thing (more weight).

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

The one that is $450 is 1.45 hours away from me... But I'll talk to the seller on the phone before I make the drive of course.

Maybe I should ask the seller if he has a pressure gauge? Since it was "Professionally Maintained". When you say mechanic... Like an auto shop?

I'm a complete noobie. I don't want to be sold crap or have someone pull one over on me.

You said an electric start is not needed. It says it comes with one anyway... Is that going to weigh anything down?

I need a short shaft and this one is "standard length". Is it cost effective to change the shaft and whatever else is needed to get it to the right length?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I'm kind of a cynic when it comes to these things. Everything is professional maintained and ran last time they used it. I was talking about a boat mechanic. An auto mechanic can test the compression, but a boat mechanic will know what to look for if something is wrong and know what to check.
The tool you will need is called a compression guage. If you check the compression with the pull start it should be over 60psi. If using the electric start you probably want 90 or above. Having the electric start will add maybe 10lbs. You don't have to use it though. The rope start will still function.

I don't know what standard length is. Its either a 15", 20" or 25" shaft. The seller should know that. I've attached a picture of an outboard. You'll want to measure from the top inside of the transom bracket (were it is hooked over the board) to the cavitation plate the is above the prop. You want one that is 15".

14vjodv.jpg

I would mention to the seller that you expect to see it run in a barrel so he has it set up when you get there. Hate to have you drive all the way up there and there not be the barrel to run it. Don't run it or try to start if it's not in the water. When it's at idle in the barrel you can shift the gears to make sure it goes into gear.

Long shaft and short shaft motors sell for about the same money. So it's not really cost effective to buy the motor then buy more parts to change it. Easier to buy the one you need.

Ok, here's what you need to look for when you go.

1. Overall appearance of the motor. Is it clean. Are wires cobbled together. Is there paint burnt off the powerhead ( a sign that it been hot).

2.Lower unit. Take out the lowervent plug down by the prop. It is a standard head screw. (DONT unscrew the phillips head screw). Is there oil. Is it clean or milky.

3.Have the owner start the motor. Depending on the year of the motor there should be water coming out from the telltale unnder cowl or out the exhuast vent on the back of the leg. No water means the water pump is bad and may have been run hot. Is the motor running smooth. Did it start easy.

4. Once the motor is warmed up ( maybe 5 minutes) shut it off and perform a compression test. Remove both spark plugs. Screw the tester hose into the spark plug hole. Either pull the rope 2-3 times or crank the engine 2-3 revolutions and write down the reading. Do the same thing on the other cylinder. Are the readings what they are supposed to be. Are they with in 10-15% of each other. The compression guage may come with and adaptor that has longer threads than the one on the hose. Thread the part in the spark plug hole that has the short threads (1/2" long maybe)

Based on what you said your level of experience is if anything is wrong I would walk away. There are plenty of good motors to be had.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, there is a lot to do. I hope the seller is friendly enough to give me a hand. Maybe I'll just suggest taking it to a shop instead so I don't accidentally miss something.

I hate doing this alone.. I don't want to foul anything up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981...atQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_808wt_1167

This looks reasonable since the guy has 100% positive feedback... I just wish it wasn't just about double what the other person is selling his for..
$810 with shipping.

Saturn's website says "Short Shaft". The guy on the phone said 15". All the ones I'm finding are 20" grrr.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Evin...atQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_500wt_1182
---

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15HP...atQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_500wt_1182

This guy is from NJ!

What do you think?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Shop is a good idea. If it were me I would stick to CL unless an ebay seller is close enough for pickup and inspection. The problem with ebay and being able to inspect is that they don't have to deal with it. There's more sellers lined up behind you. Might also try local marinas or shops. They often have trade ins.

Also consider complete boat motor and trailer packages. Then sell the boat and trailer. If you buy a package make sure you it has a trailer. Boats without trailers are more difficult to sell.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

I'll try local shops then. It might be hard though because IM 65 minutes from the ocean.

Google or phone book :).

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

I don't want to buy on impulse, but the seller has over 900 feedback and he's 100% positive.... Also, the motor is 100% what I need. 15 HP, 2 stroke, 15" shaft at a good price. It's also within driving distance.

I feel like I should take it because he has good feedback and it's what I need. I don't want the excitement to make me buy on impulse though.

I just emailed him again and asked the age of the motor, how it was maintained, and are there any known problems.

*edit*

My friend called me up and told me his friend has a 6 hp motor for 200 with gas tank and everything. He said I could try it first on my boat to see if I liked it before I bought it. He did say a 6 HP is "VERY FAST" and it "FLYS". Then told me his friend said that he is getting a 10 hp in place of the 6 hp he offered me and it's rated for 40 mph I think he said.

Now I'm starting to become more confused... I thought a 6 hp was tiny?

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

Update:

So I met a friend who took me to meet his friend who's a mechanic and a very knowledgeable person on boating. He also has gone to the salt water bays I was looking to go to.

He pointed out a few things that I think I knew, but didn't give much thought on it.

He said (I think I agree) that I'll go out in the boat for a few hours and get tired of it.. I had a feeling that I would use the boat for a few times and feel like I wanted the "real thing" with a console and such. He also said there might be a fear of popping the boat which could make it not so fun. He did mention that if I were trying to go over a few feet waves in the bay that it wouldn't be too much fun because anyone sitting in the front of the boat would get soaked...items would shift around in the boat and the driver would get soaked as well.

He gave me some great advice though... He told me I should look into the Carolina skiff and a Pullercraft (don't think I spelled that right). His advice was that if I wanted to go cruising in the salt water bay I spoke of (which he has gone to before) I should get one of those types of boats or even a small Jet Boat of some kind. I would love to get a jet boat because the used ones are in my price range. It's just hard to find one locally. I think the marinas is a place I should go looking for used boats.

This does make it a little more complicated because I know my car can not tow a 900 lb jet boat...and he and I both know I could likely get stuck on the ramp since I have rear wheel drive. My car is only rated for 1k lbs anyway... The fact is... I think I need a new car...

I know this isn't really a car forum....but would anyone know of a vehicle that would be under 10k and pull roughly 1500 lbs?

I guess I have some thinking to do!

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, your really all over the map now. Had a freind that bought a river sled about 5 years ago. It ended up costing him about 1/2 mil. Bought the boat and the little trck wouldn't tow it, buy new truck. Now he has a new truck and boat and no place to store it and all the gear, need bigger house. Girlfriend loved the house and and stayed over all the time, she got pregnant baby on the way , sell the boat. There's a moral to that story somewhere in there.

I'll try and answer your questions in order.

1. The 6 hp. There isn't one made that will do 40 mph (maybe he meant 4.0 which is about right). Reread what a previous poster said about the drag created by inflatables and the the proper motor size to move it. A 6 hp will move that boat but like I said maybe around 5 mph. If your looking for speed it ain't got it.

2. Your really going to have to narrow your focus on the type of boat you want. If buying a boat with no motor it is best to get the boat 1st then look for the motor. Though your pretty safe with an inflatable as far as which motors will work, but I'd hate to see you get the wrong set up. And it's the boat that you have to sit in all day.

3. I don't know anything about a mustangs towing capacity. But I would say that most cars that have any towing ability at all are not going to tow more than a 10-12' boat tops. When considering capacity you must also consider the weight of all the people, fuel accessories, ice chests. 1k isn't much weight. People often think that towing capacity or GVW is based on how much I can pull, or what the suspension can handle. To some extent it is but most important is not how much can you pull but how much can you stop. So whether you can tow with the mustang or not it's not engineered as a towing vehicle. Keep the load light. Any compact truck will probably tow up to a 16' boat with no trouble but you would need to check the capacity on each model.

4. What the guy said about wanting a bigger boat is 1/2 correct. A few times on the water and you mnay realize that you don't even like it and now you've invested alot of money in a boat that you don't use. As far as not liking a small boat IMO he is wrong there as well. Even with my bigger boat I still enojoy my little tin fishing boat. Especially when I go alone. Easy to unload, minimal gear. I can hook up and be on the water in under an hour. But when you get more than 2-3 people in it the fun is gone, your cramped, nobody can move for fear of tipping. Then it's time to take the big one.

I don't know where you would find theplace to do it but I would find a boat rental. Rent different sizes and see what works best for you. The determine if your lifestyle can handle it (home car ect.). You may decide that you don't want a small boat at any cost and don't have room for a big one. Easier to rent. It is very difficult for us to tell you what boat is best for you or will a boat work for your set-up. You have to choose the type and size you want. Then you can come here for advice on it.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

I'll start by renting a few boats. He gave me a place in the marina that does it.