I want a boat....But don't have any clue what I should get

marker227

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, I'm new to the forum of boating!

I'd like to get an inflatable boat for cruising around in the NJ bay area with a friend or two. I have to get an inflatable boat because of storage concerns at the house. I've never bought a boat before and don't know what types of inflatables I should look at or what companies are better than others.

Feel free to chime in.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I want a boat....But don't have any clut what I should get

If an inflatable is your preference I would ask over in the inflatable forum. Those guys should be able to point you in the right direction and help get you set up.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,

I'll go over there.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

And he tries to swim after it! We need people like that to thin the gene pool.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Like many first-time shoppers, you may have mutually exclusive features. Small but large enough for 2-3 and to take off shore in Atalntic? You need a large motor to jump wakes but don't want to spend enough to afford one.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

I'm open to spending more money.

I want to get a good grasp of what I should be looking into when it comes to inflatable boats and their motors for what I would like to do.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Thats what you want??!! To jump waves with too!! While your shopping on EBAY Bid on a Good quality PFD, And for god sakes have fun, BUT BE SAFE TOO!!

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know what the big fuss is about... I'm just looking for some advice. I'm completely new to boating and I'd appreciate it if you'd bare with me...

I didn't mean that's all I wanted to do. I want to enjoy the waves as well as being out in the bay area. It's not like I said I'm looking for the fastest boat available so I can be reckless and endanger myself and others....

It's not just for me. I want to take SO with me as well and maybe a friend or two. That's besides the point though.

I'm willing to spend the money. The whole family could use it...

I know that I'll be using it to cruise around with my SO enjoying the bay area and beach.

I don't know how I got you ticked.. Maybe it was how I phrased my sentences.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you.

I do like the West Marine Compact boat. I don't think getting a trailer will be an option for me. I do know that it must be inflatable due to the amount of storage I have to work with in my home.

Is there a general site or place to see reviews on specific types of boats? I understand what size I want, but don't know how each company differs from one another.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I would be very leary buying a used inflatable. Have never bought a Zodiac type boat but have had several river rafts. Those things have a finite life on the tubes. Even the best tubes get thin and are damaged by UV. I wouldn't buy one over 5 years old. There good for longer than that but there is no way to determine wear and UV damage on a tube. It is also tough to tell how the owner cared for the boat. Depending on the material some have to be stored partially inflated, Hypalon should not be stored folded ect. Believe me, 303 protectant can make an old tube look new. If you are looking at an inflatable for ease of storage (Fold it up on your garage) I would advise against it. They should not be stored folded. But they are handy that you can deflate them, fold them up at the house and easily transport them to the water. Also they are not like a boat that you can pull in the drive and get to it later. In reality they should be cleaned of sand and grime after every use. Sand is a killer on the tubes. Good luck finding the boat. Inflatables are great and work well just make sure you inform yourself on the use and care of them.

Also stay away from cheap inflatables. Alot are made that look very durable but they may not have any internal chambers. Pop a tube and your sinking.

I didn't read anything to suggest that you were going to use the boat unsafely. Someone may have misread, don't take offense. It happens alot on here. Alot of info to take in when whhen you read alot of posts. Again good luck and enjoy the water.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

They should not be stored folded. But they are handy that you can deflate them, fold them up at the house and easily transport them to the water.

That makes complete sense now. Now I understand why the West Marine Compact RIB 310 Inflatable Boat wasn't folded. It was just deflated to go "flat" instead of being rolled up into something.

I'll probably be able to figure out what kind I'll need.

I don't know the first thing when it comes to HP on a boat motor. What kind of motor would you recommend on getting for an inflatable boat?

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude, seriously, not being rude but your questions just make us ask about 30 more. You need to talk with someone in person. Go on google maps and then type in boat dealers in your zip code. Go talk to a few of them in your area.

We want to help but you are at step zero.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

Dude, seriously, not being rude but your questions just make us ask about 30 more. You need to talk with someone in person. Go on google maps and then type in boat dealers in your zip code. Go talk to a few of them in your area.

We want to help but you are at step zero.

Quite honestly I don't know who to go to... I don't live locally to any boat shops.

I thought the forum would be the place to go to for information.

I didn't think what I was asking was a difficult question. I just want a boat heh...

No, you're not being rude at all. I was looking to get pointed in a good general direction.

I appreciate your post.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

A boat that can go relatively fast to go over waves and get some "air".
I read your your thread and I am not going to apologize, but out here in the boating world when some one says they want to go fast over waves and get some "air" that means to me that Jumping waves like we do in our boats, my reply was meant in good spirits and its to bad that you misunderstood how I meant it!! But I did mean it when I said to buy a good PFD and meant what I said!! I said to have fun and BE SAFE!! I don't see what was wrong with saying that.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

I read your your thread and I am not going to apologize, but out here in the boating world when some one says they want to go fast over waves and get some "air" that means to me that Jumping waves like we do in our boats, my reply was meant in good spirits and its to bad that you misunderstood how I meant it!! But I did mean it when I said to buy a good PFD and meant what I said!! I said to have fun and BE SAFE!! I don't see what was wrong with saying that.

My apologies. I appreciated what you told me in your previous post. I just didn't take it the right way at first. I'm not explaining myself as well as I would have liked.

I want to enjoy the water. I don't know what I need or how much to spend. Maybe it would be better if you ask me some things to gauge the situation? :)

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, do you know the area well that you want to go boating in?? Hey welcome to Iboats my name is Pat and glad you are here to ask questions, you did come to the right place. There are alot of people who are glad to help, just like you want us to bare with you, bare with us too:) What are the conditions of the area you want to boat in, do you know the place from experience of being there or just by looking at a map?? It's a serious question, I am just trying to get a good idea.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Werthert is correct that we can give you alot of advice but ultimatley you going to have to see one in person, maybe ride in a few and do alot of research before you buy. Anything designed with a transom should have a capacity plate that will tell you the max HP. Is there a marina in the bay that your near? If I were you I would go down there and just approach someone ask start asking questions. Most will not mind helping out. Also as you read and research your going to find a few brands that float to the top in terms of quality (zodiac come to my mind, but I'm sure there are others). I would stick with a brand that has a track record of quality. They aren't like other boats that you can modiify, fix or whatever and make them better. What you buy is what you have.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, do you know the area well that you want to go boating in?? Hey welcome to Iboats my name is Pat and glad you are here to ask questions, you did come to the right place. There are alot of people who are glad to help, just like you want us to bare with you, bare with us too:) What are the conditions of the area you want to boat in, do you know the place from experience of being there or just by looking at a map?? It's a serious question, I am just trying to get a good idea.

I more or less grew up in the Sandy Hook area. I've been out in the channel tons of times when I was younger with family and friends on other peoples boats as well as my uncles.. Jet Ski's, wave runners, seadoo boat's, is what I used to ride in. Since I had family there I'd be in the water a few times a month if I was lucky. All my experience was from that channel area and a little more down going the opposite direction from sandy hook.

I remember the channel in Highlands NJ (right before Sandy Hook) was always fun to ride in because you weren't dead out in the ocean and could easily get home quickly if needed to. It was also fun to go over the waves behind boats in the water. That's pretty much my experience. I've driven before (not in NJ) and understand how to operate boats and handle them safely.

Now, I've never been in an inflatable boat in a channel, so I don't have the slightest clue if that would be a different feel from being in.. lets say a seadoo or this type of power boat.

http://www.asmallboatrental.com/Erin Angler 2 for web.gif

I don't know how to compare the feel of riding the water in a seadoo or that type of powerboat to an inflatable, but I will say that I enjoyed both types and didn't have any stability problems.

Yes, there is a marina right before the beach. Which makes it most convenient to launch a boat there since it's no more than 2 miles from the shore.