I topped yours pony85

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
YESSIRREE---We are finally reaching the end of our downstairs remodel.A window and some trimming left on the bathroom.So with the new carpet and new large sectional sofa in the family room we decided to get the final item.<br />The 50" RCA HDTV was still on sale at $400 off so we get the unit,extended warranty,cables,dvd-dvr-vcr combo and stand.LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!<br />Got all loaded into the truck and bungeed in and off we go.Got about 4 miles down the road and look in the rearview to make sure all is riding ok just in time to see it fly out of the back and smash and slide about 150 feet down the road!!!!!<br />Daughter,wife and myself in tears pick up everything we can find and return everything for credit off the card and head home with $2100 worth of junk in the back.LIFE STINKS!!!!!I REALLY FEEL LIKE THE DUMBEST ON THE PLANET!!!!!<br /><br />I am going tomorrow to see if I can borrow with my truck (it's free and clear)and try again.This time I will have it delivered!!!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: I topped yours pony85

I can think of only one thing to say, and concidering your screen name, its appropriate.<br /><br /><br />Doh !!<br /><br />Atleast you didn't make the news for causing a 5 car pile up.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bungee's have their little nitch in the big scheme of things. Everything else gets a ratchet strap.<br /><br />bummer on the TV, maybe you can sell the parts on e-bay.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man - that's rough.<br /><br />Does insurance cover that?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Bart, there is a reason why the dept of transportation does not approve bungee cords. I think you just found out why. Sorry about that kind of luck. <br /><br />I drive around a lot and see bungee's along the roadside all the time. I agree that ratchet straps are the way to go. Even the little light duty ones work better than a bungee.<br /><br />About the only thing I had ever lost out of the back of a truck that made me cry was a keg of cold beer. I went back to find it, but it was already one of those finder keepers item. Plus I lost my deposit. Being broke and sober sure sucked for awhile. :(

Twidget

Commander

Oh man, Im sorry to hear about that.<br /><br />I helped my sister bring a 50" home as a surprise for her husband when he returned from Iraq. She gave me a hard time about all the rope I used to tie it down. Im the paranoid type though.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Bart Sr., check the details on your credit card, we had a similar experiance and the platinum visa took care of it. Sorry about the bad experience though! :( Good luck!

sangerwaker

Commander

That sucks, Bart! Sorry to hear of your dilema. Hope the c/c co helps ya out.

Pony

Rear Admiral

so ironic you should mention that....on the day the new best buy opens that i work at i was going to buy a 52' rca hdtv....my stupidity has set that back a bit.<br /><br />sorry about the t.v. though. i sure hope the card company will help ya out.

magster65

Commander

Ouch.<br />If you paid by credit card, note that some of them have purchase insurance which would likely cover your 'incident'.

KaGee

Admiral

Check your insurances... home and auto for potential coverage.<br /><br />Sorry dude.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

man, that almost made me cry! sorry to hear about your loss.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the sympathies guys.<br />I do normally use rope but I figured that light thing wouldn't need as much to hold it down.I REALLY feel like a DARWIN CANDIDATE.<br />We have checked the insurance and between homeowners and cc insurance we will be covered.<br />I think we will have the replacement delivered.<br /><br />>>>>>>>HAPPY BOATING<<<<<<<

KaGee

Admiral

"I think we will have the replacement delivered." <br /><br />I used to be in the business. People used to biatch all the time about the $35 delivery charge. Not considering the possibility of what just happened to you Bart. <br /><br />I once had a customer attempt to load a 35" Sony TV (weighing 175lbs) on to the roof of a Ford Tempo! <br /> :eek: <br /><br />We bought a Lazy Boy couch last year for over $1000 and they still charged for delivery. I paid it though. They have ALL liability in getting it there in one piece.<br /><br />Glad for you Bart! Hmmmm... Big Screen TV just in time for Football! SWEET!

Pony

Rear Admiral

KaGee- must have been an older sony....i just had to lift a 36" Sony Wega up onto the upper display shelf. 227.5lbs.....insane considering most projos are like 150lbs to 180lbs

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

yes! insurance pays off!<br /><br />the other day my niece & her husband were telling me about their wide-screen adventure - they had rope to tie it down but he still wasn't satisfied. Made her ride in the back to keep it from falling over. Barely got out of the parking lot when she started banging on the roof of the pickup - she realized no way she could do it, so he changed places with her. They got a couple blocks, he realized he wasn't confident he could do it either. Store had closed for the night by then so they couldn't drop it off & come back tomorrow better prepared. <br /><br />What they did is, went into a convenience store & bought all the toilet paper off their shelf, packed it in tight & made it home without incident!