I think my Shifter is bad?

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1984 Larson with a 3.0L mercruiser engine. I have been battling a problem for almost 1 year now where my boat will shift into forward, but not reverse. If I tune the cable, I can get it to go into reverse but not forward. The other posts that I put on here over a year ago everyone was saying to get a new lower shift cable. Here is what I have found since then.

- The slop in the lower shift cable is within Merc Specs so I do not think the lower shift cable needs to be replaced.
- I have adjusted the cable following the manual about 15 times now thinking I am missing a step but I have done it enough to know I have now and I am on the brink of insanity.

I am not sure what control box I have on the boat, maybe by the picture you guys can tell me.

Here is what I found out last night, this might get confusing but stick with me.

-I hook the shift cable up to the engine and measuring 6" from center hole to center barrel.
-I then adjust the control cable to line up with the shift plate hole, give it 4 turns forward and install it.
- I then move the shifter from forward to neutral, and back to forward and it is fine.
-I then shift the lever from forward, to neutral, then to reverse. The prop clicks but does not lock.
- I then shift from reverse to neutral, then to forward. Sometimes it locks, and sometimes it does not. When I shift it back to forward from reverse and measure center hole to center barrel, it will be something like 6.5". So the shift cable is not being pulled back to 6" position like it should be.

Here is why I am thinking the shifter is the issue, but it is expensive to buy if it is not so I need some help.

If I disconnect the control cable from the engine plate (leaving the other end hooked up to the shifter) and I put the shifter in the forward idle position, I then go back to the engine and push on the control cable end and it moves in and out anywhere from 1/4-1/2". It does the same if the shifter is in neutral, or reverse. I would think that if the shifter is in forward, or reverse, it should not have any play in the cable when pushing back and forth at the engine end. I got a flash light and looked at the back of the shifter and if I push back and forth on the plate that the cable mounts to I can move it back and forth about 1/4"-1/2" while it is shifted into gear. The red arrow in this picture shows where I have my cable mounted and, and that is the plate that has movement in it. shifter.jpg

Then if I disconnect the control cable from the shifter, and install it back on the engine plate with the lower shift cable mounted, I push in on the control cable end at the shifter side, and there is no play at all. So I don't think the slop / play is in the cable, but in the shifter box.

So my main question is, are these shifters supposed to have movement in this plate when it is in gear, or is this where my slop is messing things up?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: I think my Shifter is bad?

I have a 1984 Larson with a 3.0L mercruiser engine. I have been battling a problem for almost 1 year now where my boat will shift into forward, but not reverse. If I tune the cable, I can get it to go into reverse but not forward. The other posts that I put on here over a year ago everyone was saying to get a new lower shift cable. Here is what I have found since then.

- The slop in the lower shift cable is within Merc Specs so I do not think the lower shift cable needs to be replaced.
- I have adjusted the cable following the manual about 15 times now thinking I am missing a step but I have done it enough to know I have now and I am on the brink of insanity.

I am not sure what control box I have on the boat, maybe by the picture you guys can tell me.

Here is what I found out last night, this might get confusing but stick with me.

-I hook the shift cable up to the engine and measuring 6" from center hole to center barrel.
-I then adjust the control cable to line up with the shift plate hole, give it 4 turns forward and install it.
- I then move the shifter from forward to neutral, and back to forward and it is fine.
-I then shift the lever from forward, to neutral, then to reverse. The prop clicks but does not lock.
- I then shift from reverse to neutral, then to forward. Sometimes it locks, and sometimes it does not. When I shift it back to forward from reverse and measure center hole to center barrel, it will be something like 6.5".

Here is why I am thinking the shifter is the issue, but it is expensive to buy if it is not so I need some help.

If I disconnect the control cable from the engine plate (leaving the other end hooked up to the shifter) and I put the shifter in the forward idle position, I then go back to the engine and push on the control cable end and it moves in and out anywhere from 1/4-1/2". It does the same if the shifter is in neutral, or reverse. I would think that if the shifter is in forward, or reverse, it should not have any play in the cable. I got a flash light and looked at the back of the shifter and if I push back and forth on the plate that the cable mounts to I can move it back and forth about 1/4"-1/2" while it is shifted to in gear. The red arrow in this picture shows where I have my cable mounted and, and that is the plate that have movement in it. View attachment 209791

Then if I disconnect the control cable from the shifter, and install it back on the engine plate with the lower shift cable mounted, I push in on the control cable end at the shifter side, and there is no play at all. So I don't think the slop / play is in the cable, but in the shifter box.

So my main question is, are these shifters supposed to have movement in this plate when it is in gear, or is this where my slop is messing things up?

Ayuh,.... While yer controller, 'n the forward cable may well possibly be also worn out,...

Yer Avoidin' the 1st step in fixin' yer Problem,....

You claim it's "in-spec", but I'm guessin' it's at the outer limits of "spec",....

Merc lower shift cables are a Known Maintenance item,....

Replacin' the controller, 'n it's cables would be 3 or 4 times the money, 'n energy, than just doin' what ya know needs doin',....

Replace the Lower Shift Cable,.....

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo,

If it is on the outer limits of spec, but still within spec, it should still work right? I thought that is what the slide pin was for on the shift plate, to adjust for wear on the cable when it is near the end of specs. But even with the pin in the top position, it still is not shifting.

Also, why is the shift cable not returning to the 6" position, is this the slop in the shift cable?

So is there supposed to be play in the back of the shifter when it is in gear, or should it be firmly in place?

Is there a possibility that something in the outdrive is bad causing the shift throw to be too far?
From what I see when looking at the shift shaft, it is in forward gear when it is 12 o'clock, and in reverse when it is at about 9 o'clock.
From what I have read, that appears to be correct, so I have been focusing on the cables and stuff, but I am wondering if there is something in the outdrive that is bad causing the needed throw between forward and reverse to be longer in order to engage?

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo,

If it is on the outer limits of spec, but still within spec, it should still work right? I thought that is what the slide pin was for on the shift plate, to adjust for wear on the cable when it is near the end of specs. But even with the pin in the top position, it still is not shifting.

Also, why is the shift cable not returning to the 6" position, is this the slop in the shift cable?

So is there supposed to be play in the back of the shifter when it is in gear, or should it be firmly in place?

Is there a possibility that something in the outdrive is bad causing the shift throw to be too far?
From what I see when looking at the shift shaft, it is in forward gear when it is 12 o'clock, and in reverse when it is at about 9 o'clock.
From what I have read, that appears to be correct, so I have been focusing on the cables and stuff, but I am wondering if there is something in the outdrive that is bad causing the needed throw between forward and reverse to be longer in order to engage?

Ayuh,.... The Cable Casin' is a Known wear point,.... the inner cable wears a groove in the casin',...

It's possible that All of the shift linkages, 'n bushin's are worn out,...
It's likely that All of it is somewhat Worn,...

Pullin' the drive will answer those questions, 'n it's the 1st step in Replacin' the Lower Shift Cable,....

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

is there a good article with pictures or something showing how to replace the shift cable? My MC-1 has the shift cable entering the transom on the starboard side. I think I heard somewhere that this is old and they do not sell cables that enter that side any more, and I need to buy a new cable that threads in on the port side of the transom, is this correct?

If this is the case, do I need to drill a hole and thread it, or is the hole already there?

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the shifter I have in my boat. I have the mercruiser shifter manual but I cannot seem to find this one in it that looks exactly like it.

Does anyone know the name, make, or model of this shifter? I want to clean it out of all the 20 year old grease and not sure how to get it out of the boat and into the areas that need greasing.

shift.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

If you don't understand what bondo is telling ya,take it to a shop that knows what to do.
Grub

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know exactly what Bondo is talking about. I plan to replace the lower shift cable, but I want to make sure I buy the right one. Do they sell replacement shift cables that are just like the ones I have on my boat now, or is there a new design that is threaded? I thought I heard somewhere that I needed to new style of cable and I just need to know what style that is and how the install of this cable is different that the original OEM cable installation.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You need #23 here: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...3&bnbr=20&bdesc=TRANSOM+PLATE+AND+SHIFT+CABLE the whole thing: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/showSpecialPicture.asp?pn=865436A02 Here is your manual: Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 6 - 1983-1990 - R, MR, Alpha One & Alpha One SS Sterndrives Yeah, as bond-o says don't screw around with the control until you have changed the lower shift cable. Controls rarely fail, cables fail all the time. Good luck.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Not poking a stick but you say it`s within spec but dont know how to change one. The spec comes from the manual and the correct test procedure is in the manual.Moving the slotted stud only gets you in more trouble as you dont understand how it works too.
you start by pulling the drive, and inspecting every part for excessive play. the wheel, the shaft ,the shoe all play a part. Is the slider correctly installed with the set screw? Is the core wearing a groove in the casing? Was it ever replaced?
Is the control cable worn,? worn bushings/slots/holes in the control box? Can you manually shift the drive by moving the plastic piece from inside the boat? Is the shift spool in the lower unit worn? http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6C1R3.PDF

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

st, the difference with how the shift cable enters the bell housing is not a port/starboard issue. the older drives threaded into the bell housing from the transom side through the bell housing, newer cables thread from the rear of the bell housing. there is a procedure telling how to do this in the manual. its simple, but does involve tapping new threads. get the new cable and do the tap. there are videos in the adults only section showing how to adjust cables etc. there are a ton of threads on this site about how to change the cable. once you pull the drive, you can see the components and it will make more sense. get oem cable. as everyone has said, the remote control rarely go bad, my boat is a 1979 and I have never touched it. several lower shift cables though, and some bushings etc in the lower end. do your research: read the manual, watch videos, pull your drive start checking things out and replace worn parts. the merc manuals are really detailed, so that helps

The only way to tell which one you have is to remove the drive and look. It's possible someone has already converted your bellhousing to the newer style cable.

The shift cable is removed by disconnecting it from the engine side and pulling the entire cable out of the boat thru the transom. tie some wire/string to it so you can pull the new one back thru easier.

New style cable:
IMG_1756.jpg

New style cable in the bellhousing:
_MG_3935.jpg

that is what you should see when you pull the drive if your's has already been updated.. if you don't see the hex nut then it threads in from the front.

Here's a thread on two kits merc offers for the newer cable style:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/865436a02-vs-865436a03-306246.html

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will need to check the cable style when I get a chance. I have the lower unit removed, so I will pull the upper and look at the cable. Yes I can shift the boat into reverse and forward by hand inside the boat just fine.

The lower shift cable it within specs for slop according to the manual. The throw of the control cable measures at 3 1/8" but there is some slop on the cable (or the controller) when pushing and pulling on the control cable from the engine side. You are correct, you can remove everything and test for bushings, or too much play, but some items need to have play and some do not, so it is hard to tell which what qualifies as "too much play" for someone like me where this is my first sterndrive boat.

I will look at the type of cable, and I will plan to replace the lower cable as well before diving into anything else.

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take it from somebody who works with and machines parts to tolerances and specs everyday....one parts tolerance is only in spec as long as the mating parts are. Right down the line.