I think I will go electric for my next new car ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
So happens when the batteries start getting Low, does the vehicle slow down and Impede Traffic?

tpenfield

Staff member
Well you know that these electric vehicles are the mother of invention.

What will be 'invented' ?
- Better and more eco-friendly batteries
- More renewable energy supplies
- Faster re-charging
- More efficient motors
- etc. . . .

I'm not sure I'd want an electric car/truck just yet, mostly due to the present limitations. An electric outboard for the dinghy? Sure thing . . .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well -----The electric car may be near 100% efficient itself.-----But fossil fuel generating stations to charge those batteries are in the order of 40% or less efficient.-----Electric cars will not be cheap transportation.----But change is constant.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
When they mine the ore for the battery components, they use heavy machinery that runs on diesel fuel. More pollution.
A huge chunk of these elements are mined in China. China could care less about the environment. They are one of the worse polluters.

Then there's the solar panels and wind turbines that also mostly come from China.

We are supporting one of our worse adversaries.

Many of the solar panel in service now are at the end of their life and recycling them is a major problem.

Then there's the electric grid, which we all know cannot even meet today's demand.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Well -----The electric car may be near 100% efficient itself.-----But fossil fuel generating stations to charge those batteries are in the order of 40% or less efficient.-----Electric cars will not be cheap transportation.----But change is constant.
Some of the electric car ads are now saying their products don't produce any "direct" emissions.
I think I saw that in a VW ad.
You have to look close to notice that statement.

topgun3690

Ensign
There have been many wind farms built here in Texas....was reading the other day that they are not connected to the grid yet because the transmission lines and infrastructure to do so has not even been built yet. They provide limited electricity in the area they are at.....this green energy is being pushed forward when it clearly is not ready to replace fossil fuels. This technology is improving and is necessary, but not ready for prime time......not to mention there are days when the wind don't blow and overcast days....

Last edited:

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some of the electric car ads are now saying their products don't produce any "direct" emissions.
I think I saw that in a VW ad.
You have to look close to notice that statement.
Saw a plate on the front of a Tesla the other day - "Zero Emissions". I woulda laughed, but it wasn't funny.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Lets invest in making fossil fuels cleaner. Kinda like the idea of colonizing another planet, lets evolve.
America has probably the most stringent emission regulations on our power plants, unlike most other countries who care less about the planet.

We have to realize this whole climate crisis thing is just a ploy for eternal political power. If it were a real issue, the world would get together and do something about China, India and other major polluters.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That was great, 'Speck!
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, gotta like her. Especially us Seinfeld fans...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Electric vehicles are expensive to own.----I saw an article where an owner was quoted $16,000 to repair an antifreeze leak.-----They write them off if there is any sign of battery damage,--- Insurance company can not risk a damaged battery on a vehicle.----That is because cost of a fire caused by an EV in a parking garage , on a ferry , in a tunnel and parked next to your house is astronomical

Status
Not open for further replies.