I think I will go electric for my next new car ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wonderful stuff.-----If an electric car runs at highway speeds for 3 hrs ( say 20 HP required ) to do that.------Then when you plug in to recharge it will need 20 HP applied somewhere for 3 HRS. to the grid.------I do not believe the grid is ready for 5 millions cars going electric next year.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
1700+ Lithium-Ion Batteries(not the ones in the pic), not the most Stable kind of Battery, and prone to Spontaneous Combustion.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
That's hilarious!
Hey, if you use AA lithium batteries, you should get more mileage out of them, but they cost 3x as much! But you're driving a Mercedes, you should be able to afford it! (I call them Euro-trash, I hate those cars!)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I tell my enlightened friends with electrics if they have lithium ion batteries you might not want to park that little green wonder in your garage. Here's my idea of a green vehicle....
Green vehicles only parking.png

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Had someone here yesterday to pick up a motor.------Airline pilot and drives an electric car, a GM product.----Drives 2 hrs each way.------Not an issue if he starts with a full charge.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
How about a big windmill on top of your car.
Us guys with pickup trucks can get a fifth wheel arrangement to fasten the base of the windmill.
Gotta watch those underpasses though....;)

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Or one of those enclosed trailers stacked full of deep cycle batteries for those extra long trips.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Wonder if the Tesla driver with Cali plates had to buy the gas generator in Nevada lol.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I’m seeing a trailer hitch prop that some have spinning away and charging your phone…….lol

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of the magazines, "Car and Driver?" tested a Ford electric pickup recently. Loaded it up just like you are supposed to load up a pickup it is rated at "so many pounds" and it turned out it went something like 88 miles before dying. Of course, you are not talking about 10 minutes in a gas station, either.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A lot of depends on the type of terrain. ----Lots of hills and range is going to be suffering.-----And in winter , the heater will draw power from batteries and range suffers.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In the winter, range will be all of 20-25 km. Then a 10 hour wait to go home

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Maybe some solar panels on the hood, roof and trunk and the 9,648 rechargeable solar batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.