I think I am in trouble

dodger11

Seaman Apprentice
After I got my boat home yesterday, started snooping around after reading
iboats for the last month. I have a 20' 1997 Starcraft Starfish pontoon with 23" pontoons. The boat is rated at 75 hp., I have a 90 hp. Merc. with a 20" shaft, 14"x16p. 3 bladed prop. I realize its a motor question, but I wanted a pontoon perspective. From what I read that is too short of a shaft, wrong pitch prop & too big of a motor. I should of done more research. Back to the dealer?

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I think I am in trouble

20" is long shaft and don't really think 15 extra hp would hurt much.

Jeep Man

Commander

I'm surprised your 'toon is rated for only 75hp. My old '88 with 21" tubes is rated for 90 hp and my '08 with 26"s is also rated for 90. I'm thinking you should be OK. After all, it's not like your putting a 90 on a 14' tinny.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you are good to go with HP and shaft. Have fun!

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

I got stopped last year for a random coast guard inspection and guess what one of the things they looked at. Yep, the rating for hp and people that was on the sticker. They actually went back and looked at the motor. A friend who bass fished in tournaments some years ago had a boat rated for a 150hp that he had a 200hp on. He purchased a new cowl cover that said 150 since they checked. I agree the motor will work, but be aware it may be an issue if you get checked.

brumbyvet

Seaman Apprentice

I used to have a 1996 20' MonArk which is the same as a Starcraft. Mine was also rated for a 75 but I repowered with a 90. I didn't have any problems but remember thost boats are real sensitive to weight. I didn't gain anything by going with the 90. The TWRA (water cops) never said anything about the horsepower however.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

A concern is insurance. If something should happen and they can prove an over powered boat they might refuse to pay a claim. Something to be aware of. Insurance companies will try anything to get out of a claim...