I sold a car to an idiot today and he's haunting me

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Sold my old Ford mondeo on Ebay today-it didnt have enough ground clearance to get up the farm track to where my boat's stored so it had to go.<br /><br />The bloke came up to collect from about 130 miles away on the train. He looked tired when he arrived and was strangely uncommunicative but appeared quite intelligent.<br />I thought nothing of this, showed him around the car, we signed the paperwork and off he drove.<br />He didn't even check that the lights worked or the tyres weren't bald before he drove off...<br /><br />I got home from work to find an email saying he wanted his money back as the car was a deathtrap, he'd been in a major accident with it and it was all my fault for apparently selling him a car with a major mechanical defect etc etc...<br /><br />Here's an excerpt from the email I received-as much as I can post without giving any clue as to his identity:-<br /><br /> The traffic was moving reasonably freely; I was in the middle lane<br />on a straight stretch of the road and completely comfortable with the road<br />conditions and the progress of other drivers. Then everything suddenly<br />changed<br />in an instant. It was as if I'd hit a patch of black ice. The rear end<br />of the car<br />stepped around to my left and I was suddenly broadsiding down the middle<br />lane<br />with the car totally out of control. Nothing I could do with the steering<br />wheel produced the slightest effect; the car was just veering off by itself.<br />It first smashed into the central reservation barrier; bounded off that,<br />spun<br />around and smashed into the hard shoulder barrier before being spun off<br />that, too by 90 degrees and ending up pointing the wrong way up the road<br />and finally<br />being hit by a HGV that was unable to stop in time to prevent a<br />final collision. Mercifully, all other drivers present at that moment<br />had managed<br />to avoid involvement.<br />I clamboured out of the vehicle in disbelief and was amazed to find that<br />I was still<br />in one piece, with no ill-effects other than a cricked neck, some<br />bruising and (not surprisingly)<br />being severely shaken up.<br />A worker from Motorway Mainentance who happened to be driving right<br />behind me at the<br />time saw the whole thing and luckily used the flashing beacons on his<br />vehicle to warn<br />approaching drivers of the danger ahead. He pulled over and blocked the<br />hard shoulder,<br />where the Mondeo had ended up. With the help of the HGV driver (who'd<br />also stopped)<br />we were able to push it right up to the armco barrier for a bit of extra<br />safety.<br />I exchanged details with the lorry driver (whose vehicle had sustained<br />only superficial<br />damage) and he was quite quickly on his way again. Meanwhile the guy<br />from Motorway<br />Maintenance had turned self-appointed accident investigator and<br />established the cause of the loss of<br />control was a severed track-rod. His strong suspicion was that it had<br />been partially cut through<br />which would be an extremely serious matter if true. How many of your<br />neighbours have you<br />upset that badly?<br />The break was certainly suspiciously clean and in an easily-accessible<br />part of the rod although by<br />torchlight at the side of a busy motorway it was impossible to tell for<br />sure. Further investigation needed.<br />I took note of his name and address and made<br />him aware that he would probably be needed as a witness. The area in<br />which the incident<br />happened was one of compulsory free recovery, so in due course a<br />low-loader arrived and<br />took the car away to a secure compound<br />(end of excerpt)<br /><br />I can't think of any major defect that could possibly have that effect on a front wheel drive car, and having spoken to the recovery crew that have the car there it appears the break in the trackrod was caused by the wheel hitting something and was sheared cleanly off<br />I suspect this guy's fallen asleep at the wheel and swerved when he suddenly woke up and hit the barriers-but it's niggling at me and I'd like a few opinions as to whether me telling him where to get off was the best thing I could have done. The guy's threatening to sue me in order to get the money back he paid for the car.I have no intention of doing this if at all possible as the car is a total write-off. In the UK as far as I'm aware the onus is on the buyer to check a vehicle before buying via a private sale, (caveat emptor)-saying that I actually thought it was quite a good car-I did a 250 mile round trip in it just before I stood it up whilst selling it. To my knowledge there were no mechanical or structural defects with the car that could possibly do this.<br /><br />Any ideas guys?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: I sold a car to an idiot today and he's haunting me

Do you celebrate April Fools in the UK?

ehenry

Commander

When ever I sell anything be it a boat or car. Its AS IS. No warranty No refunds. I tell them that up front and if htey still buy....them monkey is on their back if anything happens.

magster65

Commander

I had the same thing happen to me. The guy I sold to totalled the car the next morning and tried to say it was my fault due to mechanical failure. Luckily, I had certified the check before the stop-payment was issued... I got my money. As for this guy, it would cost him a 'bundle' to have credible people prove negligence on your part. After the car leaves your place, it's his. Tell him to go ahead and sue. I wouldn't give that scammer a penny.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Want some really good advice?<br />1) Immediately stop discussing this topic in public, asking for ideas and providing background. This includes internet 'forums'.<br />2) Immediately call a lawyer, and discuss it with him/her instead.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Major accident?... Haunting you?... Deathtrap?... And why he is not dead?<br />If the vehicle is of a bad design,he needs to take his complaint to the manufacturer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. Saw a good documentary last night about vehicle insurance fraud. A lot about how they stage accidents to collect from insurance companies.<br /><br />Insurance companies are getting harder and harder to scam.<br /><br />I wonder if the scammers have come up with a new type of scam.<br /><br />I think you are in the clear as long as you don't get intimidated into caving to whatever he asks for, nos4r2.<br /><br />Good luck, and let us know what transpires.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The trackrod more likely sheared when he struck the barrier.<br /><br />You are likely liable for all of his vehicles, including the one his wife bought 3 years ago, which has since been stolen. And also for the new Benz he will buy next year. :) <br /><br />Here in the US, you would be free of liability if you could document the time of sale with a receipt. After the sale, the new owner is responsible for the vehicle and insurance.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

He took delivery without mechanic's inspection or test drive? <br /><br />Onus or no onus if you're a deranged lunatic who sabatoged the vehicle then you're at fault, but won't he need evidence to proove that?<br /><br />If you knew it was a deathtrap then maybe? But you're not a professional mechanic, right? He's just threatening to sue for the price of the car? What about damage to other vehicles, tow charges, pain & suffering?<br /><br />BTW, how'd you find out it didn't have clearance for your farm road?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Call a Lawyer and tell them your story. Save all of the E-mails etc from him including your E-bay ad and anything prior to sale. Cash his check immediately, he will probably cancel it. If and when he files in court then bring your lawyer out. It will cost you a bunch, but will save you more.<br />What happened is he lost control or whatever and wrecked the vehicle, probably no insurance, now sees you as an easy way out. <br />Bottom line here in this state he purchased the car. He knew the car was used. You never certified the car was perfect or in new condition. Purchasing a used vehicle from a private citizen in no way makes the seller liable, unless the seller gives a written a verbal or an implied warranty. In short "buyer beware".<br />Write to him and veey politely say the accident was not in any way your fault, that you sold the vehicle as is, and that you knew of no problems with the vehicle when you sold it. Do not in any way say you are sorry for his accident, sorry for the way he feels, or in any way acknowledge any feelings toward him for what happened. Don't even tell him it is not your fault. Just keep it simple and to the point of you sold a used vehicle as is with nothing you knew of wrong. <br />Here the courts will judge it like this, did you know there was a problem and mis-represent the item sold, did you guarantee the product, did you know there was something wrong and neglect to tell him or show deliberate indifference to the problem. Tell him that if he wishes to talk more about the problem he can contact you through your attorney.<br />Better yet, let your lawyer handle this communication. <br />Remember that if he takes you to court for the money anything and everything you say in writing or through E-mail will be twisted and used against you.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks all. I have absolutely no intention of caving in to this idiot. Having thought about it I don't even think he was insured to drive the vehicle- the police weren't called either-though there was an accident involving it, I have spoken to the recovery lorry driver on the phone after a bit of detective work (his opinion was that the guy was trying it on too)<br /><br />The time and date of sale was on the receipt, and it does appear that the trackrod has sheared during the accident-according to the recovery guy it's a clean fresh break with no evidence of tampering.<br /><br />Oh, and I found out that it wouldnt go down the farm road by driving down it with the empty boat trailer on-it touched down very lightly then-there's no way I would have got down there with the boat on the trailer.<br /><br />I'll keep you updated,this could well be interesting!

Paul Moir

Admiral

BTW, how'd you find out it didn't have clearance for your farm road?
I hope you see my point about #1 now.<br />Call a lawyer. Do what he or she says. People here are well intentioned I'm sure, but as far as I know they have no expertise in English civil law.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Paul:-<br /><br />I can't afford a lawyer anyway-so if this goes to court I'll have to defend it myself, therefore I am looking for avenues to explore that could possibly cause this to happen.It was only a £450 car! I have been completely open about everything I knew about the car at all times -that bit is even in the ebay advert. I have made no reference to anything that could identify the incident or the person except to the person directly involved...<br /><br /><br />What I'm really curious about though is if anyone can come up with an explanation as to how a car with the the front wheels pulling it forward can suddenly lose traction sideways from the rear wheels like that due to mechanical failure. I'm fairly well versed in mechanical principal and car design and I'm certain it's impossible.

D

DJ

Don't know how things are done in the UK. All advice may be for naught.<br /><br />Here in the States, you buy it, you own it. You sold it in good faith. Not to worry.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The guy crashed the car, pure and simple. That was an intimidation letter. Keep everything he sends you. Make copies on a backup disk. I would ignore him for now. If he continues to harass you contact an attorney and follow his advice.<br /><br />Look around on the web, there may be a site in the UK where you can get some free legal advice.

Homerr

Commander

When he signed on the dotted line.. It was his problem. At least here in the States.<br /><br /><br />The price of the car isn't even worth a lawyer pulling his pen out to write a 'get well' card.<br />But then there's the medical and other costs... I'm surprised he isn't asking for that. I'm sure that's in the thousands of dollars.<br /><br />As before mentioned... keep a very diligent record or everything just in case a court summons shows up at your door.<br /><br />This guy is a flake and I'm betting he'll disappear as soon as he figures out you're not going to buy into his Bulls***<br /><br />H.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Find out where he wrecked the car. If you can go take pictures. Find out if there were any skid marks. If he lost traction from the rear, it would have to leave marks. I just can't think of anything from my mechanical knowledge that would cause the rear to break traction and lose control. Unless he was traveling way too fast and just lost it.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Our law is based on British law and is almost identical. There is a nice caveat for all sellers and it is called "buyer beware". The onus rests with the buyer to satify that their purchase is up to what their expectations are.<br /><br />The only time you could be in trouble is if you sold the vehicle wilfully witholding information about a defect that was potentially lethal to the next driver. How does one prove that?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Hi<br />Firstly do not get involved in any sort of comunication with this guy. <br />If he issues procedings against you, you MUST seek legal help, most house hold insurance policies will cover for legal expenses, ther are also plenty of laywers how will take a case "No Win No Fee" or speek to citizens advice.<br />Do Not defend yourself in court.<br /><br />Best of Luck<br />Richard

dolluper

Captain

Don't talk to him don't e-mail him take records of his e-mails print them sounds like he's scaming Let him pursue you colect your evidence be ready to talk to a Lawyer if it comes to such