I/O boats are loud

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
I test rode a '03 18'6" Larson with a 4.3MPI yesterday and the boat motor seem to be loud. But then I've only been on one other boat '08 maxum 17'6" 3.0 and that was even louder. Both were mercs. Some says that I/O were quieter than Outboards. I seem to disagree. I was on an 17'6" aluminum w/ a 75hp 4 stroke outboard and that thing was so quite at WOT. I'm hoping that this 21' w/ 5.0 volvo will be quiter, as I'm driving tomorrow out of state to see the thing. Hope it's not a waste of my time...

mthieme

Captain
Re: I/O boats are loud

4 Stroke OBs are very quiet.
I/Os are quiet if the doghouse is insulated...even quiet on bigger boats with the engine under the floor.
Doubtful you're gonna be happy after the drive.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if anyone has built a sound proofing in the engine compartment, assuming you have room of course. I'd be interested to see plans/details if someone has done this?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

This goes to the quality of the boat. Most of the better brands have a lot of sound insulation around the motor for this very reason. My Chaparral is very quite even at WOT. I have been on more than one Bayliner 20 footer with the 3.0 and it sounds like a very loud rattle trap.

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may want to reconsider boating, it may not be for you?

zach103

Commander

You may want to reconsider boating, it may not be for you?

i doubt thats true.. probably just likes the OBs better..
probably hear the exhaust more than the engine am i right?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't hear my 4.3 merc at all, at any speed. I have the seating where the motor is under the sun deck, though, versus just under the engine cover with seats to the side.

Sal, you do seem to be scrutinizing everything to the nth degree. I hope when you finally pick a boat you will start to do the opposite. There is no perfect boat. There are always compromises with boats. That is why there are so many styles of them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Although there are many characteristics to sound -- the two that human ears are most sensitive to are "level" and "type". Sound "level or intensity" is measured in dB (decibels). The type of sound one is hearing can be pleasing to one person and obnoxious to another so while some prefer the sound of a two stroke engine at WOT others may prefer the sound of a 4-stroke, or a rotary, or even a turbine. Now here is the rub. If you look at sound measurements for both two and four stroke engines from the same manufacturer on the same boat you will find there really is very little difference in "level". You need only go to Performance Tests on Yamaha's web site to verify this. Pick an engine (both 2 and 4-strokes are listed), pick a boat, and view the test data. Nearly all two strokes have noise levels listed but lately the 4-strokes are not listed. Probably because the "noise" debate is not a valid arguement. What is different is the type of sound each engine creates. Because a 4-stroke sounds different than a two stroke people think it is substantially quieter.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

More HP = More noise, of course a 250hp engine is going to be louder than a 75 hp engine.

8000 hp top fuel funny car is louder than grandma's 200 hp Camry too. :eek:

reelfishin

Captain

I've owned both I/O and outboards, I've had outboards that were ear piercing at high speed as well as an I/O boat that was down right loud. Most of the noise I heard from the I/O wasn't through the engine cover but exhaust noise at the water level. It was tolerable at cruise with the sound behind you, but it was loudest from behind the boat. I was driving a buddies boat, following him in my boat one day and was surprised at how loud it was.

On the other hand, I drove a new aluminum boat last fall with a brand new Yamaha 115 four stroke, and I couldn't hear the motor at all. The only way to tell it started was to watch the tach. If you weren't standing directly at the motor, you couldn't here it unless all else was really quiet, which wasn't the case that day on the river.

My 135hp Evinrude on my 18' aluminum boat is loud, but it's also a 30 year old motor. Its probably as loud as my old I/O, but at a higher pitch. With the motor running, you can hear nothing else. With the old I/O boat, you could at least communicate while underway, but not with the 135 hp outboard, it gets louder as you get going.

The solution if noise is the issue would be a newer outboard, whether it be a 4 stroke Yamaha, or Mercury, or an E-Tec. I think the E Tec is even quieter than the Yamaha, but I've not had the chance to run two side by side for comparison. I've also not driven a newer Merc either.

If I were to be buying a new motor, the choice here would be between the Yamaha and the E Tec in the 115 hp range. I think I'd lean a bit towards the E Tec but price would probably push me towards the Yamaha, and thought of not having to buy 2 stroke oil anymore would help that decision along too.

The best advice if your boat shopping is to go to as many boat shows as you can, sit in as many boats as you can, and drive as many as you can, then make your decision. Look for in water boat shows, you can't tell much about a boat with it sitting on a trailer in some convention center or parking lot.
Even if your not buying a new boat, having driven a new boat in top condition will go a long way in letting you know what to expect from a given boat or engine. Buying a new or newer boat can be a big expense, don't be afraid to ask questions and really look the boat over, inside and out.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

While I agree with Silvertip that the nature of the sound makes a difference in how irritating or pleasing it may be, modern outboards are remarkably quieter than they were just 10-15 years ago.

My Suzi DF70 was so quiet at idle you could only hear the telltale stream. At cruise we could have normal conversation.

I dearly love the sound of the exhaust from the V8 in my ML and the sound of a 3-4HP JohnnyRude at any speed but I like them both muted enough so that they don't dominate my senses.

I agree that high quality I/Os and inboards are a lot quieter than entry level boats, regardless of the engine(s).

CATransplant

Admiral

Still looking for that perfect first boat, are you? This is the third season, I think, and you're still a landlubber...

I just don't know what to say...

sleeper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think my mercruiser 4.3 is pretty quiet, but I do have the sport seating as well with the engine under the sun lounge area.

a70eliminator

Captain

Still looking for that perfect first boat, are you? This is the third season, I think, and you're still a landlubber...

Electric motor driven boats are brewing maybe next season one can be had.

QC

Supreme Mariner

With through prop exhaust I notice that some Volvos are louder than Mercs. On a Merc, there is no exhaust above water. On a Volvo some of that is routed above the prop. And yes, inside, engine cover insulation matters lot . . .

mthieme

Captain

JB has some good info.

Here's an excerpt of a review on the Yammy 150 4 stroke...

Quietness...operation is due to the design of the mid-section exhaust housing, which utilizes a water-cooled outer wall to deaden exhaust noise. (An added benefit of the water jacket design is that the cooling effect of the water helps prevent corrosion from forming on the midsection.) Yamaha also routes the exhaust gases through a winding maze at the upper portion of the midsection. The baffles reduce noise without impeding the scavenging process.

Like JB's Suzi, you can barely hear this Yammy idle.

Different type of noise or not, in my personal experience - (newer) 4 strokes are quieter.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

No this is the 2nd season. This will be the season. I just had some missed opportunities, that's all. I gave up on "perfect".

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I think my mercruiser 4.3 is pretty quiet, but I do have the sport seating as well with the engine under the sun lounge area.

That's how this one was. I'm hoping that with the 5.0, the cruising RPM will be lower, thus hopefully equals lower noise.

Maybe it's just the winding blowing while traveling at 50mph on the water that I was noticing. Maybe I just can't distinguish between wind noise and "boat noise".