reset cdi 90hp yam

_dan1el_

Cadet
can anyone tell me how to reset the cdi on my 90hp yamaha,<br />thanks<br />daniel

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: reset cdi 90hp yam

never heard of a reset on a CDI on that model.<br /> exactly what are you trying to do ?

_dan1el_

Cadet

the engine is set on speed reduction ad will not go past 2k revs.<br />i was told it is the cdi? putting a restriction on the motor, and i will need to disconect the pink wire?<br />thanks<br />daniel

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

The CDI puts a restiction on the motor to protect it from either overheating or lack of oil. Disconnecting the limiter before finding and repairing the problem will make it easy to destruct the engine.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

have you actually tested the alarm system audible? test all the alarm functons before disconnecting the pink wire. also check for any resistance from the pink wire to ground. if the pink wire terminal on the CDI senses a ground it assunes the alarm is triggered.<br /> while CDI failure on that motor occurs its rather rare.<br /> a little more information may help such as year model,outboard or jet, when was the last time it ran correctly and what changed. has a spark and compression test been run? has the flywheel been indexed to check for a sheared key? I would hate to see ya plunk out 300 bucks only to find its not a bad CDI. each subsystem bolted to the block assy must be eliminated as a cause. once the failed subsystem is identified the subsystems in that system need to be tested to isolate the failed part.

_dan1el_

Cadet

hi thank you very much for the info,<br /><br />it is a 1982 model outboard yamaha.<br />it is oil injected and has lots of oil,<br />it was running great last time i used it.<br />i put it in the lake fired it up and after only a few minutes the alarm starting a continuos buzz. i turned off the engine and waited a while then i turned it back on and it was restricted.<br />the water pump seems to be working good, and has just had the carbs done impeller new spark plugs and has lots of oil. how is the best way to test the audible alarm system?<br />thanks for your input.<br />daniel.

Capt Ken

Commander

Well being Yamaha didn't import any engines into the states till 84, this one must be overseas.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just because the water pump appears to be pumping does not mean the engine is being cooled. The alarm you are getting is overheat. You might check the temp sensor (disconnect it) but for gosh sakes don't leave it disconnected. If the problem goes away and the engine is stone cold, the sensor is bad. Make sure the thermostat is not stuck shut. Make sure the wire from the temp sensor is not shorted to ground somewhere. That would tell the system there is an overheat condition when there really isn't.

_dan1el_

Cadet

thanks for the info,<br />i will try it this evening, can you tell me how to diconect the temp sensor,<br />thanks<br />daniel.

Capt Ken

Commander

Uh, that engine doesn't have the speed reduction function in the CDI. Problem is something else. Pick one of the following, compression/ignition/fuel. Check in that order.

_dan1el_

Cadet

Thanks so much for your help,<br />i have the little manual which come with it.<br />it is deffinetely an 84, the reason i think its a speed reduction is because it is stuck on 2000rpms and shudders like crazy if i go above that and it only started after the buzzer went off.<br />daniel.

_dan1el_

Cadet

capt ken<br />is it possible the oil injection pump needs to be bled because it has been sitting for a while?

_dan1el_

Cadet

i just loosened the screw and oil trickled out.<br />i think i will put it in the mechanics.<br />its been sitting a while but was fully serviced just before that.<br />daniel.