I need to come up with some type of rod holder

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat has no rod holders. Walmart and every local place don't have any, either except for those metal spiral ones for the beach and i already have a few of those and they aren't for the boat.

So I don't feel like ordering some because I should be able to come up with something around the house. I was going to make some from 4in pvc (see pic below) but i don't have any and the shortest length i can buy here is 10' at WAY more then I want to spend for the like 1ft that i need.

I have all kinds of bolts and stuff, i just need to come up with an idea. I don't care of the rod is at an angle or straight up, but angle is of course better imo.

Any ideas?

Example

my-new-homemade-pvc-rod-holders-tinboatsnet-600x800.jpg

My boat where i want a holder

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w593/Jackal573/20130713_131958_zps6b585e22.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: I need to come up with some type of rod holder

Well my rod holder is costing me a fortune but WOW can she cook!! :D

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Have you tried a real plumbing supply store (NOT Lowe's or HD)? Can't believe one of those won't sell you a foot of PVC.

pckeen

Commander

Check out this thread - same topic. The Attwood ones (and a bunch more) are available on iboats.

BigJoe843

Cadet

If you really like the PVC idea you could just buy a couple 4" couplings and those would be wide enough to cut that out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

There are so many ways to make quality rod holders. You could use some 2" diameter PVC and let the rod slide into a foot long section real easy...

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

PVC is really inexpensive, just bring a hand saw so you fit it in your car.

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried a real plumbing supply store (NOT Lowe's or HD)? Can't believe one of those won't sell you a foot of PVC.

All we have is actually the real supply places (welcome to the boondocks of the midwest). Shocking but a lowes actually may have helped lol. They all say you have to buy the full section.

If you really like the PVC idea you could just buy a couple 4" couplings and those would be wide enough to cut that out.

That is brilliant it never occured to me to see if they have couplings. Thanks man I will explore that avenue Monday since they are too lazy to open on sunday.

There are so many ways to make quality rod holders. You could use some 2" diameter PVC and let the rod slide into a foot long section real easy...

I thought of this first but I'm not sure how to mount it. With the 4 inch cut across it's as simple as drilling a hole and putting the carriage bolt in.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

you can get these for $4.79 at walmart or kmart.

Tite-Lok%20clamp%20mount%20rod%20holder%20for%20fishing%20kayak.JPG

BigJoe843

Cadet

I actually like the look of that pvc holder cut from the 4". I have access to quite of few of those so might have to copy that design for some quick attach holders.

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can get these for $4.79 at walmart or kmart.

Tite-Lok%20clamp%20mount%20rod%20holder%20for%20fishing%20kayak.JPG

Not here I can't, and not wanting to order they wont get here in time.

I actually like the look of that pvc holder cut from the 4". I have access to quite of few of those so might have to copy that design for some quick attach holders.

I do too, very simple and clean and I know someone who made them last fall and they work great. It holds his 7' catfish rod (thats what mine will hold 99% of the time) and he just caught an 80 lb blue not too long ago so they get the job done.

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Checking the local farm supply place (only place open on Sunday) they have a ton of 4 in straight couplings in stock at $2/ea. Shocking they have the pipe at $10 but it's 10ft. So I'm good to go now my only decision is do I just grab a few couplers (I'm making 4 or 5 holders) OR for the same price do I buy the 10ft pipe then make a ton and sell them off on ebay.

Financially just seems like I may buy the 10' pipe. The two supply houses wanted $38 and $54 for a 10' section of 4in pvc. Crazy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I caution cheep and flimsy rod holders. It has been my experience that a rod will come out of the lesser expensive rod holders if you get a good strike from a large fish and have a heavy line.

have 3 rods at the bottom of the Menominee River from fishing Musky over a weekend. The one rod actually hit the water about 20' from the boat. That was 20# mono on the rod and one of the small wire rod holders.

Made some from stainless tubing and plate the next week, and used 30" stainless lanyards to secure the rods.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Throttle. Here's a pic of my DIY, PVC vertical rod holders. They're just dry fitted together and mounted to the inner gunnel with stainless steel screws. Nothing fancy, but they work great and only cost a few clams.

20120106164631.jpgTurkey Day Wakulla beach pics 044.jpg

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I went by the farm and home today and not only did they have the couplers but they had 4in pipe in 4,6,10, and 12 ft lengths. Now I was just there last week and only saw the 10/12', so I asked a guy who works there who said that is all they have. Another guy today asked if i needed help and I said not unless you want to cut me a shorter length at a discount. He told me they keep smaller sections in the back for customer requests.......:sigh: again things delayed or altered by the idiocy of the average retail worker. So glad he told me that I was able to buy 4ft and whip up a bunch of them easily.

The holders are shockingly strong. So much so that I'm confident that the oar mounts would rip from the side of the boat before the pvc broke. I'm not too concerned because my catfish rods sit in the water with the reel on bait clicker. I like to fish cats like I fished flounder, drum, etc and let them take the line free and easy a good 8-10 seconds.

I caution cheep and flimsy rod holders. It has been my experience that a rod will come out of the lesser expensive rod holders if you get a good strike from a large fish and have a heavy line.

have 3 rods at the bottom of the Menominee River from fishing Musky over a weekend. The one rod actually hit the water about 20' from the boat. That was 20# mono on the rod and one of the small wire rod holders.

Made some from stainless tubing and plate the next week, and used 30" stainless lanyards to secure the rods.

Your last statement is the key brother, NEVER leave a rod in a holder without a lanyard securing it to the boat. That's as silly as not having a grab cable on your outboard. I grew up fishing the Delaware Bay (6 buoy, off Bay Point = my childhood) and have lost many rods to big fish. I'm in lakes now but we have big catfish, sturgeon, etc all very capable of taking a rod to Jones locker lol.

Hi Throttle. Here's a pic of my DIY, PVC vertical rod holders. They're just dry fitted together and mounted to the inner gunnel with stainless steel screws. Nothing fancy, but they work great and only cost a few clams.

View attachment 203185View attachment 203186

I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking of something similar to this today and knowing I can safely secure to the gunnel with stainless screws helps seal it up.

Last edited:

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! I got the two I wanted to make out of the 4in made and mounted on the oar locations. Then (knowing I could put a screw into the gunnel, thanks kfa) I took 1 1/4 pvc and cut four lengths of it that I screwed into the gunnel on each side of the front and middle bench. So I know have six holders total and man I'm excited to fish Thursday now lol.

Going to make a handful of lanyards tomorrow and some eye hooks into the benches right below the holders and it will all be good to go!