Fishbusters
Ensign
Thread starter- Joined
- Apr 20, 2002
- Messages
- 921
I have a student in my class that is Phillipino and has recently moved to the USA. This is not usually a problem as most students from there usually learn some English but since my class is Educable Mentally Disabled there is a problem due to the educational practices from there to here. I found out today from my best resource on the matter (a teacher originally from there) that the disabled usually did not attend school but rather were educated at home. This was the case with this student and as such he does not speak or understand all but the basic of english (yes, no and as far as I can tell this is about it). So far we have tried to work out things using pictures and hand gestures but things are not going as well as I hoped. I need a crash course in words and phrases in his native language which is Tagalog. If it was not for the other teacher and I not having the same free periods I would ask her for a crash course but we are both too busy while at work for the extra time needed to accomplish this. If any of you can help out with either a good website, name of a good book or even a phrase like "good morning", "time for lunch" or about anything else I could really use it. Thanks in advance and you can either post it here or e-mail me at kearp@berkeley.k12.sc.us or fishbusters@hotmail.com