I just purchased a 1986 bass procraft 1750v the floor is rotted out need info.

chanslk

Cadet
This will be my first boat and I would like to do the floor myself and would like all advice on what to do. Like what way is the best way to take up the floor can I replace it with regular plywood or use marine grade plywood. Do you have to replace the foam in the bottom of the boat or is there some other substitute all advice that will help me need.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I just purchased a 1986 bass procraft 1750v the floor is rotted out need info.

Welcome to iboats Dry Dock,

This is a common project here, which I'd be glad to walk you thru, but first you should do a search here on transom and decks. You'll have hours or reading.

Then come back with some pictures and more specfic questions.

Good Luck, we're here for anything you run into.

CW

chanslk

Cadet
Re: I just purchased a 1986 bass procraft 1750v the floor is rotted out need info.

What is TRANSOM? How do you post pictures.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

holly cow you do have a lot to learn!
the transom is that thingy the motor hangs off of......

Decker83

Commander

Hey chanslk,
Go to the sticky that posted at the beginning of this forum (how to's and other great stuff) There is a ton of stuff you need to see in that thread.
The transom is the back of the boat or the stren, It's where the motor is connected to the boat.
Good luck with your new boat.

Kent

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome! Lot of learning and reading to do. I was in a similar place to you... I just finished my re foam/decking.. my resto thread in my signature might help you. Basically, in short.. out with the old, in with the new... you get exterior grade wood and treat it yourself with glass and resin

chanslk

Cadet

So in stead of using marine grade plywood I can just use exterior grade plywood and just treat it with a water proof resign? How thick should the plywood be and how much would it cost? I would post pictures but the site want let them load. I only need the floor done in the middle of the boat where the driver seat and passenger seats are good. Because from where the motor,battery house and live wells sit are good. And where the front part of the boat were the first fishing chair sits to the other live wells is good also its just the middle of the boat that the floor is bad and it is a fiber glass boat.

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

So in stead of using marine grade plywood I can just use exterior grade plywood and just treat it with a water proof resign? How thick should the plywood be and how much would it cost? I would post pictures but the site want let them load. I only need the floor done in the middle of the boat where the driver seat and passenger seats are good. Because from where the motor,battery house and live wells sit are good. And where the front part of the boat were the first fishing chair sits to the other live wells is good also its just the middle of the boat that the floor is bad and it is a fiber glass boat.

Well, expect the worse. The resin mentioned is what you will coat the wood with yes. 435 polyester resin from us composites is good. It is also what you will need for the fiberglass coating. You will need to read some threads. I hate to tell you that but you do. I am rebuilding a fiberglass bass boat. Click the link in my signature. It has some good info in there.

When you pull that floor up more times then not the rot has gotten into the "stringers". Basically what your floor attaches to. kinda like floor joist. If you know what that is. The transom is basically the back of the boat. Where the motor mounts on. It is not just called "the back of the boat" cause the transom is built very strong. with a couple of layers of desired thickness plywood fiberglassed together.

There is a lot of great reading on this site. Im sure you will hear this more than once. But, you have to check out the hull extension thread. Its by oops and it has an index also but there is a lot of great info in there. Good luck and if you need any help just ask me or anyone else. We are all just a big ol family around here!!!!

tyblack

Seaman

Chanslk I just finished up my restore about 3 months ago and reading OOPs post will get you headed in the right direction since his project was increasing the length of his boat he covered stuff you will experience. I even went so far as to use West Marine's restoration book that i purchased at west marine as a guideline with multiple options as to how to do the repair of transom and stringers and replacing the deck in your boat. I can tell you that when i removed the wood from my deck i thought there has to be some good wood here still. It turned out none of the wood was any good. You might get lucky and your transom might be solid but, make sure. Another thing to consider is don't under estimate how much resin and fiberglass you will need for your project.

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chanslk I just finished up my restore about 3 months ago and reading OOPs post will get you headed in the right direction since his project was increasing the length of his boat he covered stuff you will experience. I even went so far as to use West Marine's restoration book that i purchased at west marine as a guideline with multiple options as to how to do the repair of transom and stringers and replacing the deck in your boat. I can tell you that when i removed the wood from my deck i thought there has to be some good wood here still. It turned out none of the wood was any good. You might get lucky and your transom might be solid but, make sure. Another thing to consider is don't under estimate how much resin and fiberglass you will need for your project.

Yes, that west marine book is a good little guide. Also I forgot to include in my post, I used photobucket.com to post all of mine. It works great. Just upload to photobucket and copy the link and put it in your post. Works great and easy. Also it makes a nice little place to keep all your project pictures in a good organized place.

Also correct on the resin. I ended up underestimating mine by 5 gallons!!! I had a lot of stringers and a complete restore. It took quite a bit. I just bought a roll of chopped strand and a roll of woven. Then I bought enough of the biaxal to do the transom and th knees attaching to stringers.