I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

ab59

Ensign
looks like a nice cool enjoyable place to fish , show us the fish !

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Sorry guys, no fish pix this trip. My wife and the boy were about 100 yards from where I was fishing and they did catch a dozen or so but not quite big enough to keep. And I caught one... count 'em ONE bluegill! :lol:

I went out to the garage this evening while the boy was watching TV and my wife was looking at politics online. That garage sure is a mess out there! :eek:

But the KF is still looking good and I did a little paint test using my fingernail in an inconspicuous location on the hull. It passed the test! :D

So once I get the trailer situation worked out, I'm thinking that getting the hull back onto the trailer will go without issue. I hope. ;)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
My old buddy came over early this afternoon and we got caught up on things. He was really impressed with how the KF paint job turned out! :joyous:

Then this evening I took the family over to the Gulf for some salty fishing. Good stuff!

We started over at the beach but had little success.
5.jpg

Seems like every time I go to this place, somebody is being towed back in.
7.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Been fishing more the last few days and the family stocked up on their favorites.

The boy putting on his best "Jimmy Houston" act by kissing that little bass. 5.jpg

6.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    957.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    926 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 2
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 2

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We worked out there for 6 solid hours today. Whew!

Got the tarps over the top and we went underneath and got everything screwed together. Then moved the assembled unit over next to the fence. Will go back out tomorrow morning to look at next steps with the metal sides.

NEED RECOMMENDATIONS! I want to move as much out of the garage as is feasible but it won't be a completely dry environment out there like it is inside the garage. So what kind of boat stuff can I safely put out there? I was thinking of putting the extra mid-section for the 70HP Mercury out there, fully covered with tarps. Any other ideas?

7.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah storing stuff outdoors is tough, big totes sealed with gorilla tape will keep the critters and moisture out.

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They say the first step is admitting you have a problem... and let's face it, if you have as much garage as you do now AND are still making makeshift storage. Well you know... ha ha ha!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
They say the first step is admitting you have a problem... and let's face it, if you have as much garage as you do now AND are still making makeshift storage. Well you know... ha ha ha!

Bwaaahahaha! Ain't it the truth... :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The boy and I went out there this morning, pulled the uprights and started configuration testing with the panels I had on hand. Came up a bit short. :rolleyes:

I only had 6 panels; 4 gray and 2 green. Am checking into options. I can probably buy additional color matched panels from the place where I bought the garage. That would look better but is likely more expensive. Craigslist, etc. are certainly options as well.

I guess that I need to screw down what I have, attach the uprights and raise it back up so that I can measure the side wall area. Might need to just leave it as a carport style and put the tractor underneath. Maybe some gas cans.

If I enclose the sides all the way down, that's more expense which means it'll take longer to do. And I already have enough unfinished projects sitting around waiting. :lol:

I'd hoped to be able to use it as a KF shelter but at 12' long, that's not gonna happen.

Hmmm... :twitch:

1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    799.9 KB · Views: 1

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thinking, thinking...

I had the boy measure the tubing lengths. I might be able to remove sections from the peak, lowering the overall height and width, but thereby allowing those tubes to be added to the side length, allowing me to increase overall length by 6 feet which would make it 18' long and the KF would fit inside.

Doing math now. The boy isn't thrilled about that! :laugh:

Options, options... :D

Last edited:

Watermann

I'd go to the far side of your garage and bolt that on as a lean to.

Decker83

Commander
I would be very careful about putting that much weight on that thin wall tubing.. I have 2 of those type frames and both
have collapsed just from rain water collecting in the trap.
The lean to with the right support would be better..
Good to see or recovering from the surgery.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I would be very careful about putting that much weight on that thin wall tubing.. I have 2 of those type frames and both
have collapsed just from rain water collecting in the trap.
The lean to with the right support would be better..
Good to see or recovering from the surgery.

Yep, been thinking about that since last night. The 1.25" round tubing strength from the tarp shelter is far less than the original 2.25" square tubing used to support the 9' long x 36" wide steel panels. We measured the wall thickness of the round tubing at 0.032" and the wall thickness of the square tubing at 0.088", a substantial difference. And the square stuff is construction grade galvanized steel, not low strength steel like the round tubes.

Plus, the design of the garage uses the square tubing spaced about every 4.5 feet apart. If I use the round tubing, I could potentially have a 9 foot long run with no support underneath which is simply not strong enough to support the panels. Adding additional supports at shorter distances may be feasible but I need to check further.

And the uprights would have to be extended on the off wall side of the lean-to. Taller means weaker. Might be able to do something with a wood post but that is still TBD.

Research continues... :)

I found some pix online of similar ideas.

This lean-to uses what appears to be paneling identical to my own. Note the beefy square tubing, corner bracing and the "correct" roof brackets.
1.jpg

Another similar lean-to using steel tubing as well as some wood.
2.jpg

Watermann

One good thing, you don't have to worry over snow load :lol:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
In the past we have built them out of 4x4 pressure treated and strong tie brackets and they held up for years.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
One good thing, you don't have to worry over snow load :lol:

Hahahaha!! Fer sure!! :lol:

Research completed.

CONCLUSION: a tent is a tent is a tent and is not a storage shed! :rolleyes:

There is just no reasonable way for me to use the sheet metal roofing on that flimsy structure. It's just not feasible from an engineering standpoint.

So we're just gonna throw a tarp on it and call it done! Got to get back to KF work soon. The boy returns to school in 4 days and won't be available to be worked like a dog anymore! :pound:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
In the past we have built them out of 4x4 pressure treated and strong tie brackets and they held up for years.
Sure enough. But the idea in my case was to reuse what I have on hand without added expense, etc. So I'll keep the "wedding tent" a tent and move along. :)