I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I see about the same work being done to both trailers. Both will need painting, new bunks for both and maybe side bunks, new fenders for both or fender repair. The High Roller may require more painting, but no welding a fab work needs to be done to it. You and the boy can do all of the work on the High Roller without waiting/relying on someone else to weld/fab. Plus I feel the High Roller is the stronger trailer, it has way more frame work, The other trailer doesn't have any hardly frame work at all. If you look on Craiglsist The High Roller type trailers have a high resale value. Just my opinion and how I look at it. :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Hi guys. Am sitting in the pre-op area waiting to go to the OR for my surgery. Check you on the flip-flop.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'm home! Got here about 4 hours ago and took a 3 hour nap then got up. Feeling okay other than a massive headache. I'm rehydrating as best I can in an effort to get rid of it without using pain meds. :sick:

Still haven't decided on what to do with the trailer situation. With the surgery pending I just lost focus on work stuff over the last few days and went shore fishing with the family instead! :D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the well wishes for my health, guys! Doing fine here. Won't be able to talk for 2 - 3 weeks but overall am feeling good.

Trailer info coming... compiling it all now.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
To me neither of those trailers look any good for a SC 16.
If it were me, I'd fix up and sell both trailers and buy a good, low slung, roller trailer from "name" manufacturer. Here in MN they are very common, not sure about where you are. Dan
Not worth the cost. The donor trailer is worth about $100 in its current shape, on a good day! And the KF trailer would go for maybe $250 or so. A “good” used trailer to fit the KF would go for $800 or more around here. But ya did get me thinking and researching about it! :nod:

I see about the same work being done to both trailers. Both will need painting, new bunks for both and maybe side bunks, new fenders for both or fender repair. The High Roller may require more painting, but no welding a fab work needs to be done to it. You and the boy can do all of the work on the High Roller without waiting/relying on someone else to weld/fab. Plus I feel the High Roller is the stronger trailer, it has way more frame work, The other trailer doesn't have any hardly frame work at all. If you look on Craiglsist The High Roller type trailers have a high resale value. Just my opinion and how I look at it. :)
The Hi-Roller donor trailer is shot and not worth fixing. More pix below to explain. I’ll have my buddy cut it up and use the straight side rails to build the extension for the KF trailer. He’ll get whatever is left of the donor trailer as his payment. And maybe a couple pizzas! He can then turn that steel stock into quite a bit more in value with some of his other projects. He always has something going on.

Okay, we took pix of the donor trailer last week and after reviewing them closely this morning, I went out and took a harder look at that trailer. As a result of that inspection, I decided that I won’t be using the donor trailer for the KF. It’s just too weak!

I sat (and stood! :nono: ) on the trailer and it flexed under my weight. While I’m definitely heavy, I don’t weigh nearly as much as a loaded KF sitting there! I did the same thing on the KF trailer and it didn’t budge. I don't need the trailer acting like a suspension component, flexing all over while I'm driving down the road, so I'll go with the stronger unit.

And I also saw that in addition to all the rust and rehab problems, that ALL THREE of the main cross members are twisted! :eek: I checked for impact marks and there were none, so the trailer hadn’t hit anything. Plus, it was only the cross members which were bent. The main longitudinal members were fine. The only thing that I can think of which could cause such damage would be if somebody drove the boat around a lake with the trailer still attached! Maybe like this guy?? :lol:

In addition, I measured the gauge thickness of the donor trailer rails.
Main side rail thickness 0.375
Cross rail thickness 0.20
Step thickness 0.11

Light duty!

Anyway, here are some more pix.

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    765.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 0

ab59

Ensign
Oh man , I'm not sure there is enough iron left there for anything more than the smelter . Bummer .

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You mess around with that rust bucket tetanus trailer and you'll not be able to talk for longer than 2 weeks. :lol:

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow. That's a lot of rust!! I thought it was in much better shape and thicker metal. You'll be luck if you get to use much of anything off of it! Sounds like you have a "Plan B". Hang in there you'll get it all figured out! :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Wow. That's a lot of rust!! I thought it was in much better shape and thicker metal. You'll be luck if you get to use much of anything off of it! Sounds like you have a "Plan B". Hang in there you'll get it all figured out! :)

Yup, always good to have a Plan B! But then again, Plan A was to WAKE UP after surgery! :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Immediately after breakfast this morning we hustled down the road to pick up my Genesis from the dealer. Driver's window now fully operational again. :)

Then we hurried back home so that we could get the donor boat onto the KF trailer before the daily rains came.

Almost made it too! :lol:

We used a floor jack, some lumber and concrete blocks to raise the bow of the donor.
2.jpg

We sprayed down the bunks and underside of the donor with WD-40 and cranked the boat onto the center trailer roller and a little farther up, but it was tough on this old man. At that point I remembered my sig line. So we took a lunch break. And the rains came while we were eating. It's all still out there waiting and I'm hoping to get the donor fully loaded onto the trailer this evening.
3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
After lunch and a nice nap, I got the donor over-center and onto the trailer in less than a minute! :joyous:

4.jpg

All strapped down and ready for its final trip.
5.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Headed to the lake now for some shore fishing. Sitting in McD's parking lot waiting for lunch. Wife is still on staycation and wants to go. Gonna sit under the bridge and try to load up on bluegill for her.

A couple nights ago we ate the bass I caught a few weeks ago. Yummy! So now she wants more fishies. :D​​​​​

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
With all the rain we've had, the water levels are WAY up and we can't get under the bridge. So we're winging it for now.

The last time we were here, the water was 40' farther out than it is now.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20180802_121702-2080x1170.jpg Views:	1 Size:	734.9 KB ID:	10627310