i have 1966 starcraft help plzzzz

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: i have 1966 starcraft help plzzzz

should i run some carriage bolts through the bottom plate of transom on motor...and the way the pin is set in the pic..is that right or do i run it all the down on the other in inside the plate..and what could i do to sturdy the boats transom..doesnt seem to be rotted..just seems like i should reinforce..would transom aluiminukm plate work to help sturdy..the way the pin is set in the pic...is not the way i ran it.. i ran it with the pin its sitting on now down..and motor locked into the pin inside...seemed like it was in too much of angle...the motor should be straight right...i was looking at everyonre elses boat yesterday while we were out..and theres were straight..mine was in angle..so plzzz help me out ..first boat ive owned dont want to screw it up ..any advice on any of my questions ...will be greatly accepted...

Try & take a breath when typing ^^^ man this is hard to read esp when reading & referencing pix that have to be 'opened'

Try to use picture IMG codes from photobucket, that way your boat pix look like this:
attachment.jpg

And makes it much easier to help

It looks like the transom is only 3/4"-1" thick. Leaving too much room between the motors outside bracket & the turn buckles that you tighten from the inside. The transom 'should' be 1.75"-2" thick, that helps carry the load as the motor throttles up & etc, and reduces stress on the fiberglass skin on the exterior of the transom. Measure the depth of the bracket & make sure the motor mount will still fit over the transom after you add a 2nd pc of 3/4" ply.

As you change the amount of overall weight in the hull, people, gear, coolers, fuel or whatever you will need to adjust the trim pin on the motor mount bracket to either raise or lower the bow & get onto plane to run correctly. Does that <<<-- make sense?

With a given weight, as people move around, esp towards the fair forward or rearward (fishing/trolling) when you go to start the motor & make a run somewhere else, you might want to increase or decrease the angle of the motor. But not very often is vertical in the water relative to the hull/transom.

It would help you a great deal to spend some time reading thru some of the forums. Using the wrong terms for parts of boat & motor makes it difficult to help....

Glad it's running & etc, and you've gotten to use it on several occasions.

Good luck & look HERE for a vintage handling of outboards PDF file that may help

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks.. so the pin i have the motor resting on is right then,,,, and the inside pin is where i adjust the trim right....and the 3/4 inch wood your talking about do i put it on the inside of the boats transom or the outside of the boats transom

im wondering if i should bolt the motors bracket with carriage bolts in the two slots at the bottom of the bracket

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the 3/4 in ply will it go on the outside of the transom or the part of the transom inside where the turn buckles clamp onto ..im sorry for the stupid questions just want to be safe and not tear my boat up...thank u

kfa4303

Banned

Hi dloveb. This pic should help.

transom clamp.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

To be more clear & add to what KFA said:
;
motorbracket.jpg

The area in the red rectangle makes it look like the transom is too thin, so the extra ply would go on the inside of the transom. measure the space on the inside of the motor bracket & make sure you are not making it too thick......

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks guys perfect diagrams...much help...
another dumb question..should i cut 3/4 ply to go all the across the inside of the transom ..where my turn buckles on the motor tighten up...or should i cut it long enough just for the motor bracket to go over...and tighten the turn buckles...seems like it sure pulled alot on the boats transom when in full throttle .... im hoping whatever i end up doing will reinforce the transom..so what should i do..and at full throttle i noticed the motor bracket walked up on one side...so i stopped and relined it and tightened it back up..dont know what caused that either

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and also should bolt up the extra 3/4 ply to the transom...to make it stable n more secure...hoping that would strenghten my transom..

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Also those aren't some sort of shouldered through holes in the transom under the bottom of the motor bracket are they? Looks like its set up for a larger motor (like 50hp) that would have a longer transom bracket.

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah those are carriage bolts that were already there...fro different motor..i think it had a bigger motor on it...

i bought the boat fairly cheap with no motor...i only paid four hundred for the boat ...and 140 dollars for the 25 hp suzuki motor..it rubs perfect...im just trying figure way sturdy up the transom...i think what the other guys have told me to do on here will work..im just wanting to get everything perfectly right and safe...

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

OK well I'm not familiar with Suzuki motors but your trim pin set up really looks wrong to me. Might want to find a year and look for some parts diagrams.

Maybe I've missed but did you do some core samples on that transom to be sure of its condition?

The smaller tin boats (think row boat) use a thinner trans that will easily handle a 25hp with no flex. I say this because your trans seems to bow. Maybe it optical in the pic but it looks it me and what's being described above sounds like band-aiding a weak transom.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm not seeing what your describing TDF, if you could give him some details & etc so that it's a good to go transom. It should be fairly easy to assess a single ply layer for rot & etc.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

I will apologize as I must really be in the wrong thread, I reread through this and didn't find the pictures I thought I saw. I also saw that kfa has the answer to his tilt rod.

That doesn't change what I'm reading as doubts of the transom quality. Pay attention to the shavings when you drill your holes for those lower motor mount bolts. They are fairly high but that will hopefully give a clue as to condition. Might even be worth it pull those lower bolts out and have a look at the holes there.

I had a 16' tinny w/ a 25 on it that I ran with just the clamps that were just long enough to reach and tighten. It would groan going up to WOT and coming back and walk around a bit through out the day. Meant to add bolts in the lower holes but sold it before it got done. The addition of those bolts should solve your walking problem and possibly some of your other fears on trans condition.

Final bit - Keep in mind the shorter mounting bracket puts the stress in different spots since the load is more focused.

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TDF i pulled out the one of drain outlet fittings in the transom...where the water would drain from water coming up in the transom area from the motor...removed the 3m that sealed the outlets...and yep its crumbling wood seem like it went pretty far down into the transom towards the bottom of the boat....

man not the news i wanted to see....im going to pull out the shoulder bolts..that were there from a previous bigger motor...and drill some holes about where i would mount my new shoulder bolts.....

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so am i still good if the rest of the transom is in decent shape,,,, and would a aluminium plate help my situation,,,,

or am i wasting my time...if so how hard is to redo the transom on fiberglass boat....plzzz help me.. what are my options..

dloveb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im going to drill some holes in a few days and remove those shoulder bolts..ill keep u all posted...

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Just a quick post....
If you drill some exploratory holes make sure you do it from the inside and don't drill all the way through.

Do some searching and reading on transom/stringer replacement.

Friscoboater's thread is a good shot of what you could be in for.

Since they typically wet and rot from the bottom if you pulled a drain tube from the splashwell you most likely have a soaked trans. It could be local to the drain tube but I think that would be pretty lucky. You're not to far $$$wise to recoup should you bail but know your coming to the point we all have where you have to make a choice.

Also add that the plate is just another bandaid if the transoms rotted. I'd figure out just where you stand on the transom and go from there.

Last edited: