I hate car shopping!!

sam60

Captain
My neighbor down the road is a mechanic. He loves VW TDI's as well as he always has 6-8 in his drive that he is repairing.

southkogs

Staff member
That's the one thing that keeps me away from the VWs. I don't know how often they break ... but when they break, it seems like you kinda' go broke fixin' the break!

82rude

Rear Admiral
My neighbor down the road is a mechanic. He loves VW TDI's as well as he always has 6-8 in his drive that he is repairing.
I'm assuming that's his specialty?Go to dodge and you will see several ram trucks being repaired also ,really doesn't mean a lot.My neighbor next door use to have lots of Honda,s he would repair on the side .If anybody knows of a vehicle that's perfect let me in on the secret.Granted diesel usually means paying closer attention to service and higher costs .Lucky for me I know several diesel mech both cars and engines larger than cars or trucks.id say the chances are 98 percent I'm buying 2018 or maybe 2020 Hyundai ,maybe just maybe a cobalt diesel.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
VW's are easy to fix.... once you realize that they share parts with Audi and Audi breaks down the sub-assemblies into parts where VW's dont

Old Ironmaker , you dont hate shopping for cars, you hate the prices for todays cars.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
VW's are easy to fix.... once you realize that they share parts with Audi and Audi breaks down the sub-assemblies into parts where VW's dont

Old Ironmaker , you dont hate shopping for cars, you hate the prices for todays cars.

Busted, The worse investment anyone can make is buying a vehicle. Who in their right mind would buy new only to loose what? 20% or more as soon as it hits the road. I love driving cars, hate the paying for them. I am stuck in 1999.

aspeck

Staff member
Back when we owned the dealership we would say, “30% depreciation the first year, 20% the second, and 10% each year after that!” Approximations, but that is why I look for a 2-3 year old vehicle with low mileage at 50% or less of the sticker price when it was new... then I drive it for 7-15 years and start over again...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Back when we owned the dealership we would say, “30% depreciation the first year, 20% the second, and 10% each year after that!” Approximations, but that is why I look for a 2-3 year old vehicle with low mileage at 50% or less of the sticker price when it was new... then I drive it for 7-15 years and start over again...
So if I was to take a car for a test drive then bought it shouldn't I get at least 15 percent discount as its used?,lol.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Back when we owned the dealership we would say, “30% depreciation the first year, 20% the second, and 10% each year after that!”.
Must have been American built...no such thing with imports.

My daily driver was $14,200. Eight years later $9,500. My wife’s Accord was $21,700 when new. Seven years later she got $14k and change from the insurance company when it was totaled

Scott Danforth

Staff member
depreciation is funny. my current daily flog of a POS isnt worth a dime with 222k miles on the clock....as in $0 resale valve.....however to replace it, would cost me about $6-7k.... and in a year, the replacement will be worth $0 resale

in another 3 years the car should have 300k on the clock.....by then I may think of replacing it

aspeck

Staff member
Of course the depreciation calculator varies within makes and models, economy, mileage, supply of the vehicle, starting price tag, etc. That is and was an approximation only. Just gives you an IDEA of what you are going to lose from the RETAIL price of NEW vehicle after titling the vehicle.

southkogs

Staff member
depreciation is funny. my current daily flog of a POS isnt worth a dime with 222k miles on the clock....as in $0 resale valve.....however to replace it, would cost me about $6-7k.... and in a year, the replacement will be worth $0 resale

in another 3 years the car should have 300k on the clock.....by then I may think of replacing it
Was just looking at the same thing on mine ... nuthin' in our stable is newer than 10 years, and they all have over 200k. By all accounts they're getting close to worthless ... until you have to buy something similar to replace it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the Admiral's car was new in 2014. her prior car is a '03 and had 105k on it. we were going to sell her old car when my Audi's timing belt idler pulley spit the bearing shield onto the belt and proceeded to index the right side cam 1 tooth every revolution of the motor. the car made it 10' out the driveway prior to bending all the valves on the right head. So I ended up with her old car as the daily beater since then I put 117k on the car in just over 4 years.

the truck we bought as a 4 year old, which replaced the 15 year old Blazer.

Step-sons car is an '03 with 110k on the clock

I have no problem driving something to death since I can pretty much build or rebuild anything.... I just wont subject a car of any value to daily transportation duty

Old Ironmaker

Captain
So if I was to take a car for a test drive then bought it shouldn't I get at least 15 percent discount as its used?,lol.

Yes rude there is an automatic discount, they sell them as Managers Specials or Demo's. 15% from dealers price and retail is a big difference though.

I used to have the calculation for depreciation for imports and domestics when I drove cars to and from auction for a pal that was a used car dealer. It was based on a base percentage of depreciation with under 50,000 kms and year for the 1st 2 years and then X % of previous price for every 10,000 kms until 100,000kms was reached, then the percentage above 100kkms or 62,000 miles when the drop was greatest, once 200,000 kms not much value if any. The largest independent used car dealer is in our local town. There aren't any vehicles on the lot older than 2012/13 and much more than 125,000 kms. 90% are lease returns and 10% rentals. In Ontario a used car dealer must tell a customer if it was a rental by law, not a private seller. Most of their vehicles come with Car Fax, a complete history of the car unless imported from Quebec. Never buy a car from Quebec, mostly salvage cars that shouldn't be on the roads. There was one of those undercover consumer news reports that showed where 3 different Porches fwere put together to make 1. Busted, big deal, they paid a small fine and went there merry way.

82rude

Rear Admiral
My 15 percent comment was a joke as dealers stack the deck in their favor ,I get it.We just had a small dealer in my town get closed down for shady practices that would of done a early 50,s crook proud.In the seventies and very early 80,s there were several crooks and some of their stunts were legend. My current truck was an off lease govt vehicle (mnr).Its done me good for 12 years so far and is still a gem.I would jump in it tomorrow and go on a 10,000 mile trip with no thoughts.If I buy a new car (2018 to 2020) it will stay with me till I die so I could care less about depreciation on it.Ive never traded a vehicle in ever.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
No she hasn't. It's tough to get her to see any cars I suggest because of her work schedule. I'm looking at a possibility tomorrow AM. A good friends Mom has taken ill and her Kia SUV or crossover is for sale. Steve couldn't tell me what model or year it is. All I know is that it has always been garaged and only has 18,000 miles on it. I'm hoping it will tow the boat. If it can then I can trade my 011 Silverado in for her new ride. I don't trust any lookie loos snooping around our place if I put it on Kijiji (Canada's version of E bay or Craig's list). Tragically a young fellow was murdered when he went on a test drive in his truck not 45 minutes from where we live. Turns out the murderer and his side kick are serial killers. Murdered his girlfriend and father and he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Inherited his fathers Airline!

Newer ride, not new ride. Other than the Silverado I have never had a new car, former wife yes but not I. My wife actually bought it for me when I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer in 11'. (6 years 2 months all clear) Before that I was towing with my 87' GMC Sierra 4x4 with 500,000 kms showing on her. I had it for 2 years and the odometer never worked so I have no idea the real mileage. I loved that truck other than the springs sticking out of the drivers seat, that can hurt.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My 15 percent comment was a joke as dealers stack the deck in their favor ,I get it.We just had a small dealer in my town get closed down for shady practices that would of done a early 50,s crook proud.In the seventies and very early 80,s there were several crooks and some of their stunts were legend. My current truck was an off lease govt vehicle (mnr).Its done me good for 12 years so far and is still a gem.I would jump in it tomorrow and go on a 10,000 mile trip with no thoughts.If I buy a new car (2018 to 2020) it will stay with me till I die so I could care less about depreciation on it.Ive never traded a vehicle in ever.

I just hope no one bought the Ford Explorer I had when I worked for the Ontario MOL. I beat that thing to death. I'm glad you got a good one 82rude. There are a few dealers out there both new and used that are far from reputable, not Mom and Pop shops, dealers. Many out west. W5 or The 5th Estate did a few exposes on them. I can remember the days when we drove south to FLA and when the service attendant, when there was such a thing, saw the Ontario plates they saw dollar signs. Years ago Mom called me in tears once when they were told they needed a new torque convertor when it was slipping on the way to their place in FLA. It was low on tranny fluid due to a small leak. The estimate was $4500.00. A 30 buck gasket was all that was needed. They went to a Walmart in Chattanooga and were treated like Kings. Mom sent a hand written letter to Walmart's head office and was sent back 2 coupons for free oil and filter,

82rude

Rear Admiral
When I bought the truck the big bonus was when I was in the bush hunting etc people would pull over believing I was a game warden and then id just pass on by smiling ,lol.Sort of like owning a crown vic with a push bar on the hyway.Expecially O.P.P. black.I never advertise a vehicle or trailer etc on line ever.I live on a fairly busy street and just put whatever on the front lawn.Record so far was 15 minutes to sell a trailer .Sold a truck for my bud a couple of years ago in less than a day .Boat in day and a half .

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Can I park this Nissan on your lawn? Needs a bit of work, like a new tranny that can be had for 900 CDN. Scott Danforth found me 3 right here in Hamilton.

I do not like those OPP returned cars and SUV's, it should be illegal if left black and white. Impersonating the Police is against the law I thought.