I give up

red cobia 17'

Seaman
I have a 96 225 carb.Mercury outboard and I just can't get it to run right.I've rebuilt carbs,replaced all fuel lines from fuel tank to motor,replaced bad bleed lines,put new plugs in,replaced fuel filters.When I first go out in the boat on a fishing trip it runs ok,but after idleing for awhile it starts acting up.When I go to pull back up to my spot it starts sputtering and shuts off,it will start back up and do it again,and again,etc.Finally it will run good enough to get it on plane.Runs great on plane but when you idle for awhile it starts all over again.Maybe it's not fuel related. maybe electrical? Any ideas where to go next?

flatcat77

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I give up

what do your plugs look like? they should be like a light chocolate color. if its too rich you might be loading up when your idling back to your spot. it might not be one carb thats acting up. it might be a plug loading up and clearing itself out when you try to plane the boaqt back out............. Matt

red cobia 17'

Seaman

Thanks FlatCat77.I just got back home and I'll look at them tomorrow but in the past they looked good after running at cruising speed.I live in NE Florida so when I go fishing it's usually between 20 to 65 miles offshore.A long run for sure, that's why my plugs usually look good when I get back.

daveswaves

Ensign

Thanks FlatCat77.I just got back home and I'll look at them tomorrow but in the past they looked good after running at cruising speed.I live in NE Florida so when I go fishing it's usually between 20 to 65 miles offshore.A long run for sure, that's why my plugs usually look good when I get back.

As suggested, a kicker motor is called for when you are trolling around out there. The 225 is not going to be happy ticking over. If you are going 65 miles off shore with just one motor you may be glad of the kicker one day.

Nickledimed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

May I?
Try removing the screen on the pickup tube in the fuel tank and install an inline filter.
I say this becouse i had fuel issues, changed everything but the tank and still couldnt get it to run right.
As soon as I removed that screen and installed an inline filter all my problems went away.