I don't care what they say, but ebay...

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: I don't care what they say, but ebay...

I love ebay.<br /><br />My wife has gotten some real bargins on "fancy" clothes from my 2 yr old. People always ask where we got it from.<br /><br />I fixed my "dead" dirtbike from parts on ebay. It would have never run again, had it not been for those parts.<br /><br />Ken

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Ooh! 4 days seven hours to go on my 'big' auction and 53 watchers now! I can just about hear my new boat motor starting to purrr! :D
Looks like I'm gonna go have to find this and make it 54...any hints without JB coming to get ya? :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Aw come on barlow, just close your eyes tight and jump. It won't hurt, really. I've only been 'misled' once. I bought an external floppy drive that it turns out was some special purpose drive that was never intented to be used as indicated. I had waited so long to even try it out that I never tried to contact the seller. Out 25 bucks, but that was almost my fault.<br /><br />This morning I'm going to auto-snipe an item for the first time. I won't be home for the close so I thought I'd give it a try.<br /><br />Ooh! 4 days seven hours to go on my 'big' auction and 53 watchers now! I can just about hear my new boat motor starting to purrr! :D
I'm standing on the edge of the teetor-toter boomyal.. sooner or later my knees will give out and I'll have to jump :D .. hey, good luck tho with your stuff!<br /><br />((((( as barlow hesitates yet and watches the auctions pass right on by .... :rolleyes: ))))

D

DJ

Barlow,<br /><br />Go ahead and jump in.<br /><br />A word of advice. Start out with small items, both buying and selling. Do that to build a reputation as being a good seller/buyer.<br /><br />Many folks selling large ticket items will not accept your bid if you are a newbie with no history.

sangerwaker

Commander

Barlow, there are certainly some deals to be had there. I've only had about 20 transactions, all buying stuff, and have never been screwed. I did have a seller ship me the wrong prop once, but they made good on it and gave me my money back. I think ebay has been around long enough that most of the bad eggs have been weeded out. As long as you are careful who you buy from by looking at both their feedback and rating, you should be pretty safe.<br /><br />Also be sure to follow DJ's advice. It's right on the money as usual.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br />
Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Ooh! 4 days seven hours to go on my 'big' auction and 53 watchers now! I can just about hear my new boat motor starting to purrr! :D
Looks like I'm gonna go have to find this and make it 54...any hints without JB coming to get ya? :D
think boomyal

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Barlow,...<br /><br />
Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> Barlow, ....
DJ & Sanger - thanks for the encouragement and advice guys. I don't know what it is.. I can't really pinpoint my hesitation. Maybe its too easy or just skepticism and not knowing who I'm actually buying from.. maybe the combination.. :confused: I've had a lot of questions about it that I've yet to ask anyone and I should probably start my own thread instead of cluttering Boomyal's . I'll start a thread here soon so I can get these ?'s answered and stop regreting what I feel to be missed opportunities. :) Again, thanx DJ, Sanger and Boomyal.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

One of the first things I bought was a 2' x 3' World Map to stick pins in every time I respond to an iboater from abroad. A buck and a half and delivered to my home. Now I'm selling a few small items, some of which I may have just tossed otherwise. Two junk-to-me cuckoos are going for more than $20. I set-up a PayPal account and that's my "Fun" money that nobody needs to know about. ;) I even reconnected with an old bud that bid on a prop (I hope he wins it).<br /><br />Anybody use the same names for eBay and iboats?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> Anybody use the same names for eBay and iboats?
Yep!<br /><br />...and hey Barlow. Post away. No reason this can't be a general ebay thread. I've finished stating my point, now it's someone elses turn. :cool: <br /><br />*********** WOW! 64 watchers now. :) ************

sangerwaker

Commander

Best of luck Boomyal.<br /><br />I also have the same ebay user name as my iboats name. I also frequent a barefooter's forum and use sangerwaker there too.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

*****77 watching now :D ***** it may end up quite a race.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> *****77 watching now :D ***** it may end up quite a race.
Fingers crossed!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> *****77 watching now :D ***** it may end up quite a race.
78 now, but I have no money, no more room, and no mor....(wait a minute... that Home Equity line!) Kidding aside Boom, thats a real classic! Friend had one back then..great bike...gonna get some good buck I bet (hope...make up for yer ripoff) Goodluck! boatanride321

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

2 hrs 20 mins to go. Zero bids and **93** watchers. Can't imagine there won't be a free for all before the end. :eek:

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

You have to remember that people will watch this just to see what price it will fetch...BUT...the suspence is killing me!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br /> You have to remember that people will watch this just to see what price it will fetch...BUT...the suspence is killing me!!
True Robby, I do it myself but I'm hoping that at least 10% of the watchers are likely bidders. I have had a number of email questions re the bike. Some, of course, were trying to make a deal outside of ebay, some said call me if it doesn't sell but some were the kind of questions you might ask before bidding.

ndemge

Commander

We just sold 2 old sprint cell phones on ebay for $40. couldn't believe it, we bought one of them on ebay last year for $5! They are 4+ years old, no chargers and still went for that much. couldn't believe it

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Hey Boom...looks like the "small flurry" never turned into a "snowstorm". 2 bids better than no bids, and just hope you get your money. Sold an old 10hp Merc a while back, 6 emails and a phone call, ebay involved, and the jerk NEVER responded at all. Good Luck!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br /> Hey Boom...looks like the "small flurry" never turned into a "snowstorm". 2 bids better than no bids, and just hope you get your money. Sold an old 10hp Merc a while back, 6 emails and a phone call, ebay involved, and the jerk NEVER responded at all. Good Luck!
Fear not Robby, buyer called today for arraingements. I had spoken with him at length, the day b4 but did not realize it was he who had won it.<br /><br />Yeah, the lack of the last minute flurry was a little disappointing. I was getting a bit nervous at liftoff minus 21 seconds, did as well as could be hoped.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Now that the auction's finished could you post the link so we can see the item?<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />Chris............