i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

I think you'll be fine. My transom is narrower than yours and it all fit on there nicely; Alpha drive, transducer and tabs.<br /><br />If I were you, I'd put the transducer on right down below from the tiedown eyebolt, move the tabs inwards a bit like John suggested, and if necessary, fasten the tiedowns to the trailer in a slightly different location (wrap it around the crossbar just outside the bunk, or screw on a new eyebolt to the crossbar in the same location).<br /><br />
Countryboat%20placement.jpg
<br /><br />Alternatively:<br /><br /><br />
Countryboat2.jpg

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll measure again tonight. I think that when I turn the wheel hard right the prop is almost in line with the Transducer location we are talking about...I don't think I can get 3".<br /><br />If the only reason to get the 3" is go get a clearer FF screen at higher speeds I can live with that. If its going to cause problems with the prop or performance on my boat, then I can't live with that.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Go with the layout on Stevens first suggestion. You will have no problems.

stevens

The propeller would be far behind and well below the transducer in that location. I wouldn't think the transducer could affect the propeller or its' performance at all, it'll just cause a little bit of extra turbulence at the water's surface. As for the fishfinder, it will probably not work well at higher speeds anyway (they rarely do). Please let us know how it goes.

Moody Blue

Captain

As quoted by Stevens<br />"The point is to keep the transducer away from the turbulence and bubbles caused by the prop"<br /><br />My take on the positioning of the transducer is to prevent the transducer from introducing turbulence/air into the prop area resulting in ventilation. Not sure but thats what I thought because the prop is astern of the transducer so I can't see the prop wash affecting the transuder. I can see how the transducer could affect the prop performance though.

tommays

Admiral

if you look on the smart tab site they HAD photos of a maxum with the same transome that i cant find on the new site<br /><br />they mounted them closer to the center and put the Actuators up in the motor well<br /><br /><br />tommays

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by tommays:<br /> if you look on the smart tab site they HAD photos of a maxum with the same transome that i cant find on the new site<br /><br />they mounted them closer to the center and put the Actuators up in the motor well<br /><br /><br />tommays
Yeah, and the ducer was further out. I remember seeing that.<br /><br />NautiJohn, do you have any other pics of ST/Transducer pics you can share?

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These images are all from Nauticusinc.com<br />19 ft<br />
TBBack.jpg
<br /><br />23ft<br />
Smart_Tap_Model_ST1290_80_F.jpg
<br /><br />W/Transducer<br />
traditional_2.jpg
<br /><br />The 19ft is closer to my rig.<br /><br />John,<br /><br />Could I mount the tabs in closer and have my ducer out towards the end more, like that last picture?

stevens

All the pictures at the Nauticus site have apparently just been moved. The last picture you referred to, would that be this one?<br /><br />
install_pic14.jpg

stevens

Originally posted by RodC:<br /> My take on the positioning of the transducer is to prevent the transducer from introducing turbulence/air into the prop area resulting in ventilation.
Yes, your take on this sounds logical to me too. Anyway, Countrysinger should be fine with his set-up, even if he can't put it further out than what was indicated in the photos above. Agree?

tommays

Admiral

the 23 ft has the same transome its even the same color and probley close to the same year :D <br /><br />
install_pic10.jpg
<br />
install_pic11.jpg
<br />tommays

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, John, I have nothing on the drive. One thing though, during my repairs today, someone noticed that the zink fin just above the prop that sticks down, like an upside down shark fin about 3” long, (don’t remember what it is called right now) is slightly turned to the left (as you stand behind the boat looking at the transom, if it were a rudder, the boat would turn left). I never noticed this before. Would this make the boat list to the left? I’m betting it would, so I will wait for any replies before I make any adjustments… thanks.<br /><br />To sum up the gel coat problems due to my installation without first chamfering (counter-sinking) the gel before driving the screws… I removed the tabs today, removed the tape-sealer, picked at dime-sized creators to get the loss gel out, seriously filled the screw holes with 3M5200, filled the cavities with 5200, re-screwed the tabs back on. Should now be water tight.<br /><br />BTW, when I backed out the screws to removed the tabs, water came out of the holes. I let everything dry out while changing the oil, then applied the above method of repair. I did not run home and get my camera, so there are not pictures of what the gel looks like behind the hinge plates, but if anyone has had a similar experience as I have, you’d be well advised to repair immediately!<br /><br />Now, on to the rest of the season!!! <smiling>

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

If the trailing edge of the trim tab on the lower unit is pointed to the left, the boat will in fact veer to the right. It should be adjusted so that with a normally distributed load the boat tracks straight and the forces required to run the helm are equal left to right.<br /><br />This should be adjusted before the transom smart tabs are intruduced into the equation.

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by AMD Rules:<br /> If the trailing edge of the trim tab on the lower unit is pointed to the left, the boat will in fact veer to the right. It should be adjusted so that with a normally distributed load the boat tracks straight and the forces required to run the helm are equal left to right.<br /><br />This should be adjusted before the transom smart tabs are intruduced into the equation.
Ok, AMD, so the little shark fin thingy I was trying to describe, is called a “trim tab”. Thank you. It was probably set properly then, as I track straight.

DSsam

Recruit

do you need to drill through the transom and use bolts/nuts to attach the hinges and bracket or does it use screws. <br />Thanks

stevens

Comes with 3/4" screws that went straight through my transom. Could as well have used nuts and bolts. Wouldn't have made much difference as they seem to be absolutely tightly in place.

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How well would these work on an aluminum boat, I'm sure the results would be the same for any 2 similar hull designs, but would the mounting hold up in an aluminum transom? I'm sure the upper brackets would hit the wood core, but the hinge bolts would only be in the .125 thick aluminum.<br />I have limited trim range on my 17.5' deep vee Smokercraft w/88spl evinrude...lots of slams in rough water. <br />Tried to post this earlier...but apparently it didn't take.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Snal;<br /><br />We have many customers with aluminum Boats and even Smooker Craft has bought some for unsatisfied consumers. There is no problem with the hull and durability. The shock of hard slams is absorbed by the actuator. Remember they are not rigid. <br /><br />Performance improvements on any stern driven or OB powered boats is significant. The hull becomes active.

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks John. I've been reading all the posts, and checking the website. At first, the 12 x 9 justed looked too big for some reason...but I noticed that the actuators also vary. I suppose that slightly larger, and a stronger actuator, would be better than being too small or weak...especially since everything seems to be adjustable.<br />Do these come with screws only...or are bolts included as an option? I have a metal fab shop, so I could easily make a backing plate where they go thru metal only...if need be.<br />I think I have a transducer in the way...but it needs to be replaced anyway.