FullRear.jpg
<br /><br />
ChippedGell1.jpg
<br /><br />
ChippedGell2.jpg

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

Thanks for responding, John…<br /><br />Now that my pics are working, you can see that I temporarily “sealed” the top of the hinge plates with silicon, but not the bottoms, because the hinge barrels themselves would be sealed in (and just break the seal when the tabs move).<br /><br />Maybe I am making a bigger deal about this than I need to. If I am, I am sorry. But my main concern right now is that water might get into the transom. I’m not worried about the cosmetics… The screws are tight as hell. Might they leak, though, since the gelcoat has lifted from behind the hinge plates? If I am otherwise safe, I wont worry about it at all.<br /><br />If I remove the silicon from the top portion of the plates, and run a bead of 3M5200 in its place, what would I do about the bottoms where the barrels will break the seal after the tabs move while underway? This is why I considered sealing behind the hinge plates themselves.<br /><br />In any event, I can make this decision so long as I know what potential there is for leaking, as my installation exists right now.<br /><br />Thank you.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I would and am going to use 3M 4200. It will seal just as good but not be quite as permanent as 5200. I originally bought a tube of 5200 then took it back and exchanged it when I read the instructions.

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> I would and am going to use 3M 4200. It will seal just as good but not be quite as permanent as 5200. I originally bought a tube of 5200 then took it back and exchanged it when I read the instructions.
Boom,<br /><br />Thanks for that. I did not know that there were other sealers. So in your opinion, with 4200, would I be alright removing the hinge plates, filling the damaged areas including screw holes, screw the plates back on and be done with it?

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Stickysnow - I would think your suggested procedure would be just fine. Seal it up as well as you can, tighten the screws, and set the actuator settings at the right positions. Then just try to forget all about it and enjoy the ride....

CapCrunch

Cadet

OK, I,m conviced - Smart Tabs are the way to go. One question - Do they effect the handling when backing down, as in backing the boat off my bunk trailer?

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by inthesticksnow:<br /> Links working now?<br />
I thought that maybe my company was blocking them, but I can't see them at home either. This really bums me out!

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CSTRANS2.jpg
<br /><br />Okay, so I am going to mount a Transducer this weekend, and I have a question. I am trying to leave room for the Smart Tabs. So if I go from the "corner" of the first chine and measure 12" for the tabs, it takes me to about where the corner of the Transom Strap is dangling. I was thinking of mounting the transducer on the edge of where the transom indents for the ladder area. This would leave me enough room for the strap to go back to the cross piece on the trailer.<br /><br />First, I am concerned about the strap maybe going over the trailer "guide" (not sure technical term of the carpeted support).<br /><br />Second, is the transducer going to be too close to the motor and cause Cavitation?<br /><br />edit: I measured the distance from the edge of the prop to where the transducer is going to mount...its only about 6". This is too close, right? 6" from straight, not from turn radius. <br /><br />If this is going to cause problems, then I have to move it out under the ladder, and that means no smart tabs. I know I could mount it in the hull, but I don't think I could do that, so I would have to pay to have it done professionally, and also the Temperature wouldn't register then.<br /><br />Ideas?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

This would be my recomendation.<br /><br />
CSTRANS2.jpg

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by CntrySngr:<br />
Originally posted by inthesticksnow:<br /> Links working now?<br />
I thought that maybe my company was blocking them, but I can't see them at home either. This really bums me out!
Country, here, I have this folder shared with the pics in it. Don't know why you can't see them here.<br /><br /> http://briefcase.yahoo.com/inthesticksnow@sbcglobal.net <br /><br />Go to Mydocuments, the pictures are in there in my Shared Briefcase Folder. I'll keep the foldereopen for public for a while.

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BTW, we went today for and hour and a half, The boat, since I adjusted to the least pressure point on the bottom bracket… my boat is new and light anyway and didn’t have a problem getting up to begin with, so my best result from he Taba has been in stability with slight better up to plain. The bow is now slightly higher at WOT, and so doesn’t feel pushed down as much before the adjustments. I think I will run like this a bit…. We did notice I had a slight list to port, so I am going to drop the Tab down from the port side slightly, and see if this lifts her up a bit. The stability from side to side rolling while negotiating wakes is greatly increased, and we feel safe. Also high powered sharp turns (if the drive is trimmed down slightly) grab the water very well… more stability.<br /><br />With two people in the boat, a heavy tool box in the back starboard side, at wot we were 4800 rpm at 46 mph, the exact stats from boat. Before the adjustments to the pressure bracket, the bow was too far down IMO, but with three people in the boat, at wot, we achieved 45 – 46 mph at the same rpm, yet the bow seemed to be “low” to me. My adjustment went from the mid point, all the way to the easiest setting. I may back a bit toward the mid point a ¼ ‘on both tabs. And drop the port Tab deeper into the water (from the top bracket) in order to cure the list to the port as we may have been a degree or two off from one to the other, during the original installation.<br /><br />These adjustments will be made before we go out again on Sunday.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

inthesticksnow;<br /><br />Do not drop the port tab, just increase the pressure on that side more than the starboard.<br /><br />Are you trimming the motor up a bit more than before. If you are running with too much bow pressure the boat will have a tendency to bow steer and list from the prop torque. I assume you are not running with a hydrofoil?<br /><br />Try trimming up a bit more before making the adjsutments.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by inthesticksnow:<br />Country, here, I have this folder shared with the pics in it. Don't know why you can't see them here.<br /><br /> http://briefcase.yahoo.com/inthesticksnow@sbcglobal.net <br /><br />Go to Mydocuments, the pictures are in there in my Shared Briefcase Folder. I'll keep the foldereopen for public for a while.
Perfect! Thank you!! Looks like we have a close transom design.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Boomyal;l I might leave abit more room from the outside edge of the boat. Maybe 3" total.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> This would be my recomendation.<br /><br />
CSTRANS2.jpg
Thanks boom. This is what I planned on doing, but I was concerned that the Transducer would cause problems with the prop?

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The point is to keep the transducer away from the turbulence and bubbles caused by the prop, so I would interpret this to mean 3" away from the prop in its closest position, including turning.<br /><br />Edit: I don't know for sure, I'll be the first to admit, so any authoritative advise would be welcome.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If that's the case, then the spot that I have selected will not work...if I want to mount the ducer on the transom, then I won't be able to get smart tabs, or vice/versa.