I am updating my live well.....

MakoMac

Cadet
I wanted to get a custom see through acrylic lid for the livewell on my Robalo 1920. Paint the white plastic a soft blue, and add a blue light into it. I am just not sure what paint to get? All the things I have read say to clean the inside thoroughly with denatured alcohol, then paint at least two coats. But not sure about paint that's going to stick to plastic? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Paint the white plastic a soft blue, and add a blue light into it.
why?

paint generally doesnt stick to plastic, and any top-side marine paint would definitely come off if you keep water in the tank for any length of time. bottom paints will kill your bait

if the tank is fiberglass, gel will work.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Krylon and rustoleum both make a rattle can spray that is made for plastics, stated right on the can. If you planning on looking thru the cover you will need a special see thru spray paint. Cant think of the name of it.....sucks getting old !!!!

briangcc

Commander
Krylon and rustoleum both make a rattle can spray that is made for plastics, stated right on the can. If you planning on looking thru the cover you will need a special see thru spray paint. Cant think of the name of it.....sucks getting old !!!!
BUT....it's not fish safe. It's going in a livewell that's going to be used as one.

OP needs something non-toxic to fish. Gotta look in the Pond/Aquarium supplies for that.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I was assuming he was painting the top outside of the cover...no issue for the fish there..

MakoMac

Cadet
No, I'm talking about the inside of the box. its plastic. I'll be adding an acrylic lid with a seal and latch.

aspeck

Staff member
I gotta start reading better ... was going to move this thread to a different Fora because I read "Updating my living will." I guess what you are looking for is totally different from what I read and this thread doesn't need moved! LOL! However, if it is bait you are talking about, maybe they should update their wills and living wills ... hmmm ...

Sorry - carry on ...

airshot

Rear Admiral
My bad, thought it was just the lid......not sure I would trust any paint inside where the fish will be !! Just like an aquarium, you may need to use a vinyl stick on backdrop....

MakoMac

Cadet
I've been told that fish pond paint could be used, but I wouldnt trust that on plastic so, I think I'm liking white just fine. Just a new acrylic lid and blue light added. Thanks for trying guys.

briangcc

Commander
The epoxy I listed above IS used in the aquarium business. It IS fish safe. Many, many Youtube videos out there from pros and amateurs alike using the same material to line their custom built aquariums. They're keeping $$$$($) fish in there - certainly fine for what, $40 bait fish?

Pick a color and have at it.

MakoMac

Cadet
PERFECT! thats exactly what I was after. I'll post pics when I'm done with it.
Thanks gents!