Hydraulic Steering Small Amount Of Slack

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just installed a used hydraulic steering system in my boat. It is an older Morse branded system, 4 turns lock to lock and no oil leaks. It came off a race ready river boat that saw very little use. I installed the system and got all the air out. It turns very easy, no lumpyness and not notchy. It works great underway. The only issue is there seems to be a very small amount of slack from port to starboard. The wheel will turn about 1" or so before the motor moves. There is no pressure at all for the 1" of travel, just feels like an open void. The oil is fresh Teleflex oil and all bolts are tight. Any suggestions would be great, thanks for the help.

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hydraulic Steering Small Amount Of Slack

Sounds like you may have a little air in the system yet. If it is real easy going and you get no response, could be air. Air compresses and things don't move.

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you may have a little air in the system yet. If it is real easy going and you get no response, could be air. Air compresses and things don't move.

When I grab the motor and try to move it it will not budge. I was told to try that first, if there is air it would move I am told. Does hydraulic steering ever have slack like this if it is bled correctly? Would a worn part in the helm cause slack? Maybe I should try bleeding from the cylinder again.

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm guessing here because I have never worked with that system, but maybe air up in the steering valve itself? Sounds like the cylinder has no air.

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm guessing here because I have never worked with that system, but maybe air up in the steering valve itself? Sounds like the cylinder has no air.

I agree, it feels like the cylinder is air free. I actually took off the helm and shook it to remove all the air. Its hard for me to believe there is air based on how smooth it feels and that fact that it is an even 4 turns lock 2 lock. I will go for another air removal session tomorrow and go from there. Any other opinions or experiences are appreciated.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Normal condition.

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Normal condition.

I can totally deal with it if it is normal, just want to be sure it is. This is my first hydraulic steering setup. Thanks for the vote of confidence.