Hurricane Dennis

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Hurricane Dennis

Thanks Chaos and Ken and LadyFish and everyone. Gonna stay here with the puppies and a prayer. Gotta run over to my dad's to drop some pines before the storm. This aughta be fun!

eeboater

Commander

I have physical friends in LA, family in FL. I hope it goes easy on them. <br /><br /><br />For all over you digital iboats friends... stay safe.

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Good luck SW, pick a nice spot in the house to hunker down in with no windows and bring mattresses in there with you, they give great protection.<br /><br />Ken
AND, Mattresses float too. I saw it on Storm Stories the other night. A couple floated through a hurricane with 140 mph winds on a mattress, it saved their lives.

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just checked the NOAA update, it's going to be a whopper, Cat. 4. I'll be praying for ya, God Bless.

shortwavez

Recruit

wow i hope everybody there is going to be ok. man i would hate to live in florida and have to pack up almost everytime a hurricane comes around

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

SW<br /><br />Prayers from West Australia for everyone's safety and protection. In March 99 we went on red alert for cyclone Vance which packed winds of just over 160 mph. It caused massive damage to Exmouth, which is...oops Sorry was an American/Australian naval communications centre. (but the American built houses handled it). <br /><br />We were lucky and it veered just before it reached us and we only caught the tail.<br /><br />I hope everyone in its path remains safe and well.<br /><br />GR<br /><br />Luckily it

Stratosfied

Ensign

In a bit of uncommon good sense, they have decided to shut the mill down today. I am going in on the 7-3 and we will begin the shut down procedure. We plan on riding this on out here as we have so many pets and such to take care of. The coordinates for my home are 31.695N and 87.424W. Please keep us in your prayers as well as all those who must evacuate. Thanks to all!

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

We just got hit by the first outer bands about 5:30am. Althought I'm not in the direct path, its still a pretty big punch. Sycamore trees bent way over, my 14' "tinny" although weighted down, just "rolled" across the back yard. Pool cage is swaying. Winds are blowing the whitecaps off of the water on the lake.<br /><br />No real damage yet, at least that I can see from inside. When it calms down a bit, I'll go outside and take a better look.<br /><br />We got hit by both of the storms last year, but from what I am seeing this morning, Dennis appears to have more punch.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

aspeck

Staff member

To all of you down south - please be safe!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Its a busy pace around here, gettin gas, gettin lumber, and gettin ready also. Were about 8 miles north of the Gulf. Ive been through all the storms since Hurricane Betsy and some ofem have been pretty bumpy, Camille, Elaina, man those were tough. Good Lord willing and the creek dont rise, Ill put another notch on the corner of the house Monday evening. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Just an update, we've had about 3 good bands with high winds and heavy rain, but they only lasted 15 minutes or so each. This was followed by, if you can believe it, sunshine.<br /><br />The worst was by far the initial hit this morning. After that, a good day of breezes.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

All you guys be safe down there and the spinner's house will keep you in our thought's up here in Ky.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, thinking about y'all up here in Ohio.<br /><br />From the NHC discussions:<br /><br />THE CENTRAL PRESSURE OF 955 MB NORMALLY WOULD SUPPORT AN INITIAL <br />INTENSITY OF 105-110 KT...BUT THE INNER CORE PRESSURE GRADIENT IS <br />STILL FLAT DUE TO LAND INTERACTION WITH CUBA LAST NIGHT. HOWEVER... <br />THE SMALL 10-15 NMI DIAMETER EYE...RECENT SHARP PRESSURE FALLS... <br />WARM WATER AHEAD OF THE CYCLONE...AND IMPRESSIVE OUTFLOW ALL <br />SUGGEST THAT DENNIS SHOULD GO ON AND INTENSIFY INTO A MAJOR <br />HURRICANE...AND POSSIBLY EVEN REGAIN CATEGORY 4 STRENGTH BEFORE IT <br />MAKES LANDFALL ON SUNDAY. <br /><br />Be careful down there!

Stratosfied

Ensign

The Govenor of Alabama has granted permission for the Comissioners and the Sheriff to impose a curfew in Escambia Co. Al. from midnight Sat. until noon on Monday. I got off work at 5 and from what I saw the traffic was very slow but many stations here are out of gas. I took two coolers to work and filled them with ice and were are as good to go as possible. Heck, I even went to Walmart and got 2 small propane bottles for my grill.(the last two). They are closing at 6. Shelters are open and I65 both sides are northbound only. We will stay here. This house was built in 1920 and I have faith it will be here Monday. Local news are saying 40 mph winds at 10:00am Sunday with worstening conditions throughout the day. Will keep you all posted as long as the power and cable stays on. Keep us in your prayers. Thanks again!

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Motels are already nearly full here in North Alabama.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

SW, Stratosfied, Reel Poor... Ya'll hang on tight...<br /><br />BTW, Help's already on the way... :cool: <br /><br />Got a squall comming thru here now.. Blowing a bit and raining hard...

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

from latest Natl. Hurricane Ctr. discussion:<br /><br />"HURRICANE DENNIS DISCUSSION NUMBER 23<br />NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL<br />10 PM CDT SAT JUL 09 2005<br /> <br />AFTER DEEPENING AT A RATE THAT BORDERED ON INSANE DURING THE<br />AFTERNOON...DENNIS HAS CONTINUED TO STRENGTHEN AT A MORE NORMAL<br />RATE THIS EVENING. REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE<br />HUNTER AIRCRAFT SHOW THAT THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS FALLEN TO 941<br />MB...WITH MAXIMUM FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS OF 122 KT IN THE NORTHEAST<br />QUADRANT. BASED ON THIS...THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS 110 KT. IT IS<br />EXPECTED THAT WHEN THE AIRCRAFT AGAIN SAMPLES THE NORTHEAST EYEWALL<br />THAT IT WILL FIND STRONGER WINDS THAT WILL JUSTIFY UPGRADING DENNIS<br />TO A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT ALTHOUGH<br />DENNIS HAS A VERY LARGE OUTER WIND FIELD... THE HURRICANE FORCE<br />WINDS ARE CONFINED TO A VERY SMALL AREA NEAR THE CENTER."<br /><br />You rarely see the word "insane" in one of these texts.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />Jinx

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

"AFTER DEEPENING AT A RATE THAT BORDERED ON INSANE DURING THE<br />AFTERNOON"<br /><br />Yep.. You could see it on the on some of the satellite image loops....<br />Watch the red blow up around the center as the loop goes on...<br /> http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html <br /><br />"IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT ALTHOUGH<br />DENNIS HAS A VERY LARGE OUTER WIND FIELD... THE HURRICANE FORCE<br />WINDS ARE CONFINED TO A VERY SMALL AREA NEAR THE CENTER."<br />That is the good part of the forecast, if there is a good part that is...

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, looks like the Pensacola area is in trouble with landfall expected between 3:30-4:00 EST. Max. sustained winds at 140 mph and storm surge of up to 15 feet.