Hurricane Dennis

LadyFish

Admiral
This is a serious storm y'all. It already has winds in excess of 105 and its expected to reach a Cat 3 before it enters the Gulf of Mexico. Its anyone's guess if this storm has the potential to be a Cat 4-5. Right now the computer models and projections have it going into Mobile Alabama. By Sunday morning, those of us along the coast will begin to feel the affects of Dennis.<br /><br /> NOAA <br /><br />It's still very far away and the cone representing the areas most likely to be impacted could change after this monster gets into the Gulf of Mexico.<br /><br />Keep a close eye on the weather and be prepared to batten down the hatches. In fact those in Florida and Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana might want to start now.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hurricane Dennis

Does anyone know if KKC made it back from Jamaica?<br />Hurricane Dennis is about to pay the island a visit :(

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

S*** we just got 6+ inches from Cindy over night...hope Dennis doesn’t visit as well....hate get'n company that close together.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Friends, I still have stuff left over in the yard from Ivan. If Dennis follows the same path as Ivan, I don't plan on sticking around for this one. There are a lot of people that still have tarps left on the roofs. Oh well, here we go again. And btw, I live about 45 miles inland.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I have a bad feeling Florida will again take this one head on.<br /><br />From day one, the projected landfalls have been moving east, just like the ones last year.<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

I was thinking of you when I saw the projections Strat. I will keep my fingers crossed that nothing horrible happens to you or your family. I hope you have good evac plans.<br /><br />Vlad, I didn't know KKC was in Jamaica. People are boarding flights now to evacuate the island. I hope he made it outta there.

LadyFish

Admiral

I certainly don't wish this storm on anyone including our Floridian friends.<br /><br />I guess we will know more on Saturday whether of not this one takes that easterly turn.<br /><br />Current sustained winds are 105 with gusts to 125. The latest update has it moving just east of Jamaica. The last two tracks sent it more northeast than originally projected.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Just clicked on your link LadyFish and that track has it going directly over my area. If you look at the first line above the Ala/Fla border, that is about where we are. I stocked up on some things for the TS Alieen. Guess I just have to wait and see. I am off tomorrow and will get more prepared then. Also Soulwinner is only about 30 road miles south of us. He is very near the water. We may have to head to the Hideout! ;)

crab bait

Captain

isn't this a tad early for hurricains..??<br /><br />somethin' wrong..

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I got friends who had to leave here this afternoon after the funeral to go home to Alabama to prepair for Dennis.. un-freaking-believeable! Just put a month old baby in the ground today, and now they might have to go thru a serious hurricane..<br /><br />My Pops was, I say WAS, supposed to go to Arcadia to camp this weekend.. Arcadia's one of the places where Charlie went thru last year... Tore Arcadia UP!.. I saw that track last night and I said "DAYUM, I'd swear that looks just like Charlies track from last year".. <br /><br />12Footer.. DHadley.. All the westcoasty Floridians.. Ya'll need to watch this one like a hawk..

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I remember correctly, the NHC predicted an abnormally active hurricane season earlier this year, sometime in December/January. I heard a Cat. 3 too, the current track makes landfall somewhere around the Florida/Alabama coast. The weather over the Plains and Midwest is pretty benign, nothing too strong to push Dennis eastward, the system will probably slam the southern coast and drench the South up through the Eastern Midwest and into New England. Just a guess at this point, tho!

LadyFish

Admiral

Winds are now 135 gusting to 160 (Category 4) moving at 12 mph, pressure is 938. Hurricane Andrew had a central pressure of 932 so you can see how intense this storm is.<br /><br />It will probably lose a little speed as it passes over Cuba then pick up speed again when it moves over the warm waters of the Gulf. :( <br /><br />Although not reported yet, the hurricane hunters just notified NOAA of a windspeed of 140 mph. :eek:

LadyFish

Admiral

Currently winds are 150 gusting to 185, only 6 mph under CAT 5. Central pressure is still 935 mb moving NW at 14.<br /><br />This is really scarey. It appears that it will pass over a relatively narrow area of Cuba will won't diminish it much before it gets out over the open waters.<br /><br />CAT 5 - CATASTROPHIC (Hurricane Andrew (1992)storm surge is 19'+<br /> <br />Shrubs and trees blown down; considerable damage to roofs of buildings; all signs down. Very severe and extensive damage to windows and doors. Complete failure of roofs on many residences and industrial buildings. Extensive shattering of glass in windows and doors. Some complete building failures. Small buildings overturned or blown away. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Major damage to lower floors of all structures less than 15 feet above sea level within 500 yards of shore. Low-lying escape routes inland cut by rising water 3 to 5 hours before hurricane center arrives. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5 to 10 miles of shore possibly required.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It looks like a really slow moving storm too. Thats gonna make the damage and flooding even worse.<br /><br />Folks in the way of this storm MOVE AWAY fast.<br /><br />Ken

SoulWinner

Commander

Strat, where are you? We must be real close to each other. Here in Santa Rosa and Escambia counties in Florida, there is still abundant evidence of Ivan. Since we work out of our house, we will stay here, what ever happens. With my generator I will be totally powered up through the storm :D :D :D <br /><br />My house did the shake, rattle and roll through Ivan, but I have faith in the good Lord that He will protect my little castle. We didn't even loose a one shingle during Ivan! Praise God!!<br /><br />However, one realresult of Ivan is that everyone in the Florida panhandle is FREAKING out!. There is no gas available, all the pumps are dry. The grocery stores are down to bare shelves. The Lowes and Home Depots are out of generators and plywood and OSB. A heck of a lot of people who stayed for Ivan are bailing out for this one. I don't understand that. This little tropical storm that passed through did WAY more damage in Georgia than it did on the Gulf Coast. (caveat - I am sure NO ONE will be staying in Grand Lagoon this time around.) At any rate, we could no more leave our doggies than we could our children, so we stay. <br /><br />In closing, I would like to ask for something from all my iboats friends of faith; if this one hits the Pensacola area, would you please pray for our safety and protection? We sure would appreciate it.

Stratosfied

Ensign

SW, I am in Brewton. I got off work last night at 11, and went to the Pace SuperWalmart. It was madness. The two gas stations at Woodbine were out of gas. Stocked up on a few things. Now for something stupid, I work at the papermill in the powerhouse. During Ivan, they wanted to try to keep two boilers and the three generators going in cas we lost Ala power. (We need Ala power to roll the turbines in case of a total outage), The morons in charge decided that they would do this again, and asked us for volunteers yesterday, all of my crew said no. They are shutting down the rest of the plant 36 hrs before landfall with the idea of letting everyone (except us) go home 24 hrs before landfall. I am off today and just got up so I hope they have the sense to shut it all down Sat. We may head to Baytown Tx, to see my parents. Keep us in your prayers as we will yours. Note In Escambia Co Ala, no one was killed or seriously injured during Ivan. God is good and He is great!

ChaosDad

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Strat, and you to SW. Got room up here just west of Birmingham for ya if you need it. <br />Not sure when I65 is going to go one way up to Montgomery, but you guys and your familys are welcome, still gonna be kinda of hairy up here too.<br />.D..

Stratosfied

Ensign

Chaos, thanks so much! During times like this, ya just don't know what to do.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Good luck SW, pick a nice spot in the house to hunker down in with no windows and bring mattresses in there with you, they give great protection.<br /><br />Ken