Hunting - tips for old beat up guys like me ;)

ezbtr

Captain
Leg and back issues (back to PT next week for me) tons of old injuries but I'm going to get into more regular hunting (not just birds and rabbits) , but definitely wild hogs (no license etc needed in Texas) , I can walk around but no heavy lifting or crazy climbing around like I used to do, flat land will be needed, what hints do you guys have? I mainly fished lakes for YEARS. I've got all the rifles and equipment that I'll need - my buddy got a nice 8 pt 14" spread buck today w/ his 308 today

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sell the guns, buy car parts. with leg and back issues, I would not be trying to field dress a hog or buck and drag it out of the woods.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
isn't this the reason our oldies bred us for IE: when they got old and decerped we could do the heavy lifting for them so as they could still enjoy life without struggling with hard work..

how times have changed ! , we do the heavy lifting so the kids get to enjoy life. i called BS and changed things my way.

fo r you , i would suggest a 4x4 ATV and an easy to load trailer with all the goodies ,
spend their inheritance and build the trailer to suit your needs , don't scrimp to save , get a top of the line 4x4 ATV and enjoy yourself.(y)

Last edited:

ezbtr

Captain
isn't this the reason our oldies bred us for IE: when they got old and decerped we could do the heavy lifting for them so as they could still enjoy life without struggling with hard work..

how times have changed ! , we do the heavy lifting so the kids get to enjoy life. i called BS and changed things my way.

fo r you , i would suggest a 4x4 ATV and an easy to load trailer with all the goodies ,
spend their inheritance and build the trailer to suit your needs , don't scrimp to save , get a top of the line 4x4 ATV and enjoy yourself.(y)
Thank you!!!

KJM

Lieutenant
Yeah, I'm with the 4x4 ATV advice. I never shoot a moose I can't drive my ATV right up to. Last one my brother shot, we even used the atv winch to raise the quarters in my garage to hang them. No lifting involved. No point getting older if you don't get wiser!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Have a brother in law?

My BIL hunts our property. Calls me to come get his deer with the front end loader.

ezbtr

Captain
Yeah, I'm with the 4x4 ATV advice. I never shoot a moose I can't drive my ATV right up to. Last one my brother shot, we even used the atv winch to raise the quarters in my garage to hang them. No lifting involved. No point getting older if you don't get wiser!
never owned an ATV, what type? Looking at a 900 diesel 4x4 polaris

KJM

Lieutenant
Mines an Arctic Cat 500 4x4. I've had 2 AC atv's over the years and never had any complaints with either, never in the shop for anything. My brother just bought a 6 wheel Can AM Outlander. That,s nice too. Make sure you get a winch installed, they can be a life saver if you get stuck!

KJM

Lieutenant
Mines an Arctic Cat 500 4x4. I've had 2 AC atv's over the years and never had any complaints with either, never in the shop for anything. My brother just bought a 6 wheel Can AM Outlander. That,s nice too. Make sure you get a winch installed, they can be a life saver if you get stuck!
My brother had a Polaris and had problems with it and didn't like the customer service, but that might be a one off. I know he will never buy another.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Being a diesel might be an issue with getting parts and repair. Polaris sells more than any other mfgr but also have the highest number of complaints !! With a used machine, the care and maintenence on the machine is far more important than the name on the side !!

ezbtr

Captain
Being a diesel might be an issue with getting parts and repair. Polaris sells more than any other mfgr but also have the highest number of complaints !! With a used machine, the care and maintenence on the machine is far more important than the name on the side !!
oh I know - just started looking this a.m., and I've wrenched for years

JimDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I worked on a ton of ATV's as a side gig. I will say that I would never own a Polaris. I'd say get one of the 3 Japanese brands with my 1 choice being a Honda. Also, I would get one with a centrifugal clutch with shiftable transmission.