Humming/ Buzzing in dash

Mark1971

Cadet
Hello all,
I just developed a buzzing sound coming from a black round disc with a single wire. The disc has a round hole in the middle of it and I see a metal disc inside. I was driving the boat for several hours and hit a few big waves that’s when it started. I thought it was the radio till I found the source. I can’t trace the wire any further than the dash have no clue where it ends. I cover the hole and it stops or muffled the sound. I am not sure if it’s part of my depth finder or not which is a hummingbird 610. Just a round gauge that shows depth no graphs.
I have a 97’ wellcraft eclipse 196ss with 5.0 alpha1
Thank you
Mark

MSST8DOG

Cadet
A friend of mine had the same issue a couple of months ago. It was his horn. He bought a new one and all is good.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of MerCruisers have a warning horn for overheat and loss of oil pressure. If you turn the ign key on and don't start the motor, after a few seconds, the no oil pressure horn will sound. Is it the same one?

Mark1971

Cadet
I will have to check when I get home. My temp gauge was at 160 when it was running and oil pressure was around 50 while trolling

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That is good, but the alarms do not run off the gauges. They run off separate sensors....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a shallow water alarm. See if you can reset the low water alarm threshold, or turn it off.

Mark1971

Cadet
What’s weird was the gauge was not even showing numbers like no power but if that’s the case how was the alarm going off? Seems like all connections are tight. I turned the key to supply power alarm came on right away displayed showed 2.0 which is correct but the #’s were not very solid color like sort of faded or not getting enough power to it.

Alumarine

Captain
Try disconnecting the power to the depth finder and see if the alarm still goes off.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what you want. Either the gauge is set to alarm at 2 feet, or the electronics are bad. The first test is to turn off the alarm off. The OEM web 'site may have a manual. If that doesn't work, and the gauge works correctly otherwise, kill the buzzer and see how it goes.