I'm looking at buying a boat, its a tri hull 16' I think, the guy says the hull leaks, he tried to do a repair with no sucess, how much work to fix?? I see a couple substantial cracks in the bottom? Hes asking $400 comes with old 80hp merc
Every motor out there ran four years ago, that's not your concern, you need to know if it runs today. If he can't get it running for you to check it out, then consider it a non runner and of no value. The boat will need to be completely rebuilt, stringers, floor and transom. the trailer will need work also, tires, bearings, lights.....
Check out some of the rebuild threads and see what's involved in this type of repair and the cost. If you want a project and aren't planning on using it this season, then it may be a good buy, if you want to go boating this summer, it may not be the right boat at any price.
Ya, I realize what's involved in the repair, and time. He said we could try to start it. I'm not concerned about using it this year. I have a boat in the ocean I can use anytime, this one I want for a lake ski/tube boat
If he won't take the initiative to try and start it before you get there, and with the other problems I wouldn't mess with it just on principle of a lazy owner.