Hull Number

Lee G.

Recruit
I just acquired a 1929 26' triple cockpit runabout...where do I find the hull number on this old boat?? Does it even have one??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I just acquired a 1929 26' triple cockpit runabout...where do I find the hull number on this old boat?? Does it even have one??
first, welcome aboard.

HIN's came out in 1972 and were revised a bit later to the current standard. so there is no hull number

for 1929, it would be a hand-built boat and may not have a builders tag with a serial number

if you dont have paperwork, get it.

Lee G.

Recruit
first, welcome aboard.

HIN's came out in 1972 and were revised a bit later to the current standard. so there is no hull number

for 1929, it would be a hand-built boat and may not have a builders tag with a serial number

if you dont have paperwork, get it.
I have a title and it indicates a hull number, but I wanted to verify it on the boat...not sure if I will ever find this number anywhere on the boat, so not sure how there is a hull number on the title.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have a title and it indicates a hull number, but I wanted to verify it on the boat...not sure if I will ever find this number anywhere on the boat, so not sure how there is a hull number on the title.
look for a brass builders plate. would be on the inside of the transom or the side of the gunwale.

will be a serial number with only a few digits.

12 character HIN's came out after 1972

could be a state-issued HIN

jbcurt00

Staff member
State issued/assigned HIN when boat sold/transfer. Typically includes metal plate w HIN to be permanently attached to boat, top right area of transom when viewed from back of boat

What are 1st 3 letters @HIN @title?

Run What the title shows thru www.hindecoder.com

Scott Danforth

Staff member
however it should have patina on it like the following:

IMG_4589.jpg