Hull balsa core rotten, what next?

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a 24ft cuddy cabin with OMC stringer mount electric shift.

I started by cutting the rotten mounts out, then found bad starboard stringer, then standing on inside skin of hull heard crackling sound and saw movement.

Cut inside skin away and found almost all of end grain wood gone from rotting.

Question is, should I give up on this?
(I've got more time than brains)

What would it take to repair? Replace core or lay stringers with extra braces to outer skin?20220531_143434.jpg20220531_143523.jpg20220531_143719.jpg20220531_143617.jpg

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In my opinion, that is a gut and total rebuild of stringers, bulkheads and floor. It concerns me that you hear cracking and see movement by standing on the hull. You would very probably need to build a cradle to hold the hull shape while you gut and rebuild. Also, you need to consider the transom rebuild and if you want to stay with the OMC. I am not familiar with OMC electric shift but it looks like you have the old style big stringer drive boot. I replaced mine with a Mercruiser Alpha but mine is a 22ft. You might want to consider a Bravo depending upon your engine but others on here can advise on that.

Also, when I did mine, I removed the hardtops and windows (see profile pic) as well as all of the internal "furniture and cabinets" to lighten the load on the hull while the stringers, bulkheads and floors were removed and replaced. I didn't want as much weight on the bottom of the hull without the structural support.

By the way, what make, model and year of boat? Can you shoot a picture from a little further back for context of the whole boat interior?

Last edited:

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the comments,
She's a 1972 Starfire 240HT.
Yes, the core of the hull concerns me the most. In this picture of it on the trailer, you can see the hull bowing at the rear bunk.

I think this is too much for me. Tearing out the whole inside skin and replacing wood then reglassing is too much money for me on this size of boat.
Repairing stringers, mounts, floor and transom was already pushing it.

This was a 20 yr "getting to it " project.
Guess I should have "Got to it " before she rotted.
She's on her way to a burial at the landfill.
Hats off to to another lost memories. 20220601_113802.jpg

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A note that made the decision easier.

Been looking at a 1970 23ft Penn Yan with same engine and outdrive.
She's been in a pole barn the last 10 years. He won't let me drill holes but I went over it with a small hammer and sounds solid. Don't care about engine. Have 2 in the shed with outdrives already.

Not quite "2 foot-itis " but close.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am by no means an expert but it looks like she settled over the years because the trailer bunks weren't set right and the stringers gave out. You could off load it from the trailer and set supports front and back to see if it settles into more of a straight line. Trouble is you won't know what the exact correct line or contour is for the bottom of the hull. Maybe others can chime in here with their thoughts before you scrap it.

On the other boat, I did the hammer thing on the stringers on my boat and they "sounded" solid but were rotted along the bottom edges. I even tried the drill in several places but must have hit the areas of solid wood. Mine is a 1976 but I could tell there were problems with the floor and potentially the stringers since the floor had a few soft spots. I also found the gas tank had corrosion from being foamed in place so I had to replace it. Cost me about $1,100 just for a new aluminum tank. There are estimates in a few threads on the forum here for what the cost adds up to if you have to do the big job. So, be cautious with any boat that old, it is likely to be a "hole in the water when it comes to money pouring into it". being a OMC stringer drive check at the bottom of the transom near the drive for rot. Mine didn't look like it but it was rotted there.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tips,
Being a 52 year old boat, I'm not expecting to be splash ready.

Looking under the deck, I can see the floor and stringers have been replaced before. No guarantee what was missed.

I really think she's in better shape than what I have. Just realized, 20 years in pole barn. Says PO.00q0q_fmbWyu63dxrz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg01313_EwMSZ2PK8Hz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00i0i_8q6y9DSW717z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
From the pics she does look in pretty good condition..

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
A hammer check for Rot in not the most accurate (at best)
Stringers saturated in water can "sound solid" Also the fiberglass throws a little deceit in there as well.
Only time I could say you could Halfway trust that method is, if the wood core was completely gone and it sounded hollow.

Drill test is the sure way.
However I don't figure you will find much water with a 20 yr barn set.