how to strip paint off a gel coat boat ?

jeffz0rz

Seaman
my 22' boat has a TERRIBLE paint job. drips everywhere, over spray, its absolutely horrid. i have no idea what condition the gel coat is under the paint, im hoping its salvageable. either way, the paint has to go. what have some of you used to strip paint ?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to strip paint off a gel coat boat ?

yes....the gellcoat will be salvageable.......just needs sanding.......lots of guys paint over gellcoat because they think its a car and dont know about gellcoat.....the only reason to paint is because you dont like the color.

try a chemical stripper.......if that doesnt work.....try laquer thinner.......if that dont work........break out the sand paper.....start at 400 grit.....if you go lower....like 220 you might burn thru the gell in spots.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hmm.. I think there are too many Variables atm to suggest that you can or cant strip/sand/buff the gel.

Depends on how hard they sanded the boat for paint application.
Depends on how much gel was on there in the first place.
Repairs ..etc..

Why was it painted in the first place..
What was it painted with ... how many coats ..

Thats the tricky part of Boats that have been previously worked on .. We dont have Xray vision.

It would kinda suck if you did all that stripping ..sanding..then start burning through the gel .. or finding Repairs Everywhere ..

Pics/year and make would Greatly help.. :)

YD.

jeffz0rz

Seaman

this is the only pic i have right now. its a 1990 sunrunner (model unknown) im not entirely sure the gel was even sanded before the paint was applied. it was really slopped on. they painted over the rub rail and everything. i would be surprised if it was a paint sprayer and not a roller. i seriously doubt any repair work has been done to the gel.its white gel with white paint over it. i wasnt sure on what chemical products were safe for gel.
10hun37.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Interlux makes a chemical stripper specifically for paint over gelcoat.

sasto

Captain

I used aircraft paint stripper I bought at the local marine store. Worked good for me over anything I tried.

Good Luck!

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would sand it, especially if you plan on re-coating with something, either a new fresh layer of gelcoat, or with paint. Regardless, a fine grain sandpaper would also prepare the current gelcoat for a good polishing if you can get all the paint off without burning through the gel. Paint jobs can work well over sanded gel, as you will see in many posts here, paint is used with great success. I'm re-finishing my hull and I'm going to use paint.

Anything you do will be affected by the prep work. and that's not easy. trust me, I've ground on mine and sanded for about 6 hours now and I'm no where near ready for glass and paint.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

gellcoat is such a fantastic product, that even after you get the paint off, the old gell can be brought back up with some elbow grease.....(elbow grease can be purchased off ebay...lol)

you still have to polish it.....you still have to prep for any paint....so unless you dont like the color of the factory gell....why not just re surface it!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

i seriously doubt any repair work has been done to the gel.

What makes you Doubt this ? Just wondering ..

Yes .. Interlux makes Interstrip ..

You can also try some kind of Big box store stripper cheaper .. try at least ( I have 4 different kinds of strippers in the shop ;) ).

Remember to Wash it Well with water before you start any kind of sanding/buffing process after you use stripper.

YD.

jeffz0rz

Seaman

id like to strip the paint and bring the gel back if i can. worst case scenario, i re-paint the right way. ill pick up some aircraft cleaner and test a spot and see what happens. id just like a nice shinny boat for once. im prepared for hard work in 100 degree heat sun up to sun down.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get yourself a cheap soda blaster from Harbor Freight. It will take the paint off with minimal consequence to the gel coat. It's time consuming, but so are the other processes.

jeffz0rz

Seaman

didnt think of that. will it effect the gel at all ? obviously i wont be pounding it in once spot for 20 min. would it mean more sanding and buffing the gel than if i just used a chemical stripper?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

If you use a chemical stripper down to the gelcoat, depending on the condition of the gelcoat you can sand with a fine grit sandpaper and then polish it to a shine.