how to start f100 without controls

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1999 F100 on an engine stand, I dont have controls with the engine. How can I start it up on an engine stand? I have a remote starting switch just not sure what I need to jump, wire, etc....

Thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: how to start f100 without controls

starting it may not be as big a problem as stopping it. I am not sure how to stop it without a harness, I am pretty sure you need to ground a specific wire, just not sure which one..a local shop should have a used yammy harness and switch laying around..probably $50-100...cheaper than shorting out your ECU. If you are anywhere near Savannah GA..I have one I would loan you.

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice

sparkie,
Thanks for the ofer but I am too far. Do you know if an older 2 stroke yammy harness would work on a four stroke? This is the carb 4 stroke motor (1999). I can get ahold of an older style yamaha harness.

thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain

what harness is in the engine?? it should be the round 10 pin connection, if so any yammy round 10 pin harness will work.

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, I will check tomorrow what harness is on the boat

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice

Ok update. I borowed a yamaha harness from a friend and it would not work. I know this harness was from a older late 80's yamaha but it didnt work. I used a remote switch and tied it between the brown wire and 12v and started the motor. My problem is I had to run it out of gas to stop the motor. Everything I read says there is a white wire and if I ground it it will stop the motor. The only white wire I can find at the motor is a sealed wire that goes into the main computer. The motor is a 1999 F100TXRY. Can somebody tell me how I can stop the motor if it is on a stand with no controls hooked to it? It takes like 5 minutes for the gas ti run out.

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

was the harness you tried a 10 pin or a 7 pin?
Is your motor a 10 pin?
Should be able to find the white wire in the 10 pin connector ti rig up a kill connection to ground
Yamaha connector 10 pin.jpg

SparkieBoat

Captain

careful careful...this is where you could short out your $1200 ECU....I know I already mentioned that but, I just hate to see the dreaded..OOPS post. again for about $100 you can get a set up off of ebay or a used setup from a local shop.. you have a 10 pin round harness..

here is a cheap extension..you could cut the other end off and wire up any outboard key switch, you just need a wire diagram to know which wires go where.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-Exte..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e302904f

you could the resell the rig if you do not want to keep it..but it may come in handy again one day. or you could buy a full harness and key switch for probably around $150

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the responses, and I will be carefull. It is a 10 pin connector. I guess my 3 choices are just:

let it run out of gas
buy a connector and rig it
now that I know the pin connector terminals I should be able to short out the white wire to ground to stop the motor

Thanks for all your help/guidence.