How to run the engine when it's not in the boat?

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

I have a 2005 Mercruiser 3.0L TKS that I have been cleaning up.

I would like to run it before I put it back in the boat, and seen quite a few videos. There doesn't seem to be a to do / to check before doing it. Any advice?

Required is obviously water, battery and fuel, and I've heard to not rev it too much.

What is the best way to wire it up, and how do you stop it once it starts? One video used crocodile clips and another made use of the wiring harness so you have a bit more control / can connect some gauges.

Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: How to run the engine when it's not in the boat?

I tapped into the wiring harness connector for the ignition and the starter. If you have a wiring diagram, then you can see what pins they are on the connector.

I controlled the engine via wire leads that I ran from the connector to the battery. To shut the engine off I just pulled the lead from the battery.

Instead of gauges, I just hooked a 12 volt idiot light to the oil pressure alarm sender. I figured that I would sense if the engine was overheating. . .

I have some youtube ideas of running my 7.4 on a pallet. You might have seen them in your travels

Last edited:

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok that sounds good, got the wiring diagram and a remote start button so that should be ok. Seems straight forward to pull the lead, I was worried that might damage something.

May have, 7.4 is a long way up from my 3.0 :)

Also got some tips from Jay's video: Project Carlson CVX-18 - Testing out the replacment Engine for the Carlson CVX-18 - YouTube A bit more freestyle on the wiring!

Hopefully I'll post a video in the coming weeks, thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member

You may want to check to see if the tks version needs anything powered up beyond the ignition.