How to rule out wires to ignition, starting problem? Pics included

bben76

Seaman
Hi. I have a 1971 60HP electric shift johnson. I've had a problem with intermittent spark on all cylinders. I think i've ruled out points, would like to rule out that there is not a short in the wires running to the ignition. I've read some previous posts on how to do this, but It's not clear to me and I want to be sure I don't blow something up! Can someone tell me how to properly do this?

You can see the pics of my motor here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=196654

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to rule out wires to ignition, starting problem? Pics included

If you've got a manual it will run you through the steps on checking your electrical troubleshooting. Mine was sorta doing what yours was doing and it was a power pack.
I'm sure others will chime in that are a lot knowledgeable.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the way you rule out control problems, is. first remove the prop, as it is going to start in forward, not need to cut off a leg. now disconnect the big plug under the power pack. i think your is yellow. this takes the electrical controls total out of the picture, and the engine will run without them. but, the only way to kill the engine is to manually choke it. now take a pair of auto jumper cable, find a good grounding spot on the engine, and connect to the - negative post on the battery, now connect the other cable to the +positive post on the battery, then touch the positive cable to the big positive post on the starter, the starter will turn the motor over, and should start it. you will have to choke manually, when starting.

bben76

Seaman

tashasdaddy - when you say disconnect the big plug under the power pack do you mean the plug that connects has multiple connections on it? This one:

606737113_146e339ba0.jpg

i don't see any other plugs under the power pack ....

606842846_dfabd199b4.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That idea of trying to run it with the plug disconnected is OK, I suppose. Trouble is it won't work on this particular motor. The amplifier has to be fed voltage from the ignition switch, via the plug. Plug it back together and get a manual. I see the solenoid is disconnected. What's with that?

bben76

Seaman

The solenoid was disconnected because I was inspecting all wires and cleaning all connections when I took this picture.

I have a manual. I just get confused when trying to walk through the steps outlined in it because they use terms and tools that I do no know. That's why I love iboats! ...ya'll always are able to better explain things!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Engines that incorporate a charging system..... running without having that main electrical plug connected at the engine (Battery Capacitance Discharge Ignition), or/and on the later models (Magneto Capacitance Discharge Ignition) running without a battery, that can and usually does result in damage to the charging system (rectifier).

The point setting on those models is critical. See below.

(Point Setting Of Battery Capacitance Discharge
( Ignition Models - 1968 thru 1972)
(Joe Reeves)

The points must be set to .010 but no wider than .010..... BUT in some instances due to a possible slight inaccurately machined crankshaft lobe or a slight offset of one set of points, a setting slightly less than .010 would be required as follows.

Whether the crankshaft has two or three lobes, when setting the points, check the setting of the points on each individual lobe by rotating the crankshaft by hand.

You may find that setting one set of points to .010 on one lobe, then turning the crankshaft to the next lobe, the gap measures .011 or .012 (too wide). This is where you would need to close that gap down to the required .010. A gap too wide can result in a ignition miss when throttle is applied.

Bottom line, pertaining to the point setting at the various lobe locations____ .010, .010, .009, is okay____ .010, .010, .011 is not!

bben76

Seaman

Thanks for the info Joe. What you said is exactly the oppositve of what I was told earlier, which was to make sure that the points were at least .010 and if one was .011 that was ok.

I'll go back and check them on each lobe and make sure that they are at least at the most only .010 on each lobe.

bben76

Seaman

I'm reading my manual over again, trying to be a good student and teach myself as much as possible without having to always bug you guys.

Going over the trouble shooting for ignition and it says that a CD test meter and S-80 or M-80 neon testers are needed. I can't find an explanation for what any one of these are. It appears though that a CD tester does the same thing as a regular voltage meter, for example the consumer voltage meter I purchased from home depot that measures AC or DC volts, amps, and ohms.

What are these testers?