How to Restore "natural" Aluminum look??

trailblazer2

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
12
I have almost completed work to replace the transom board on my 1982 Lowe-Line aluminum boat. I am considering painting the some of the outside, but don't plan to paint the interior of the boat... the original finish on both the interior and exterior aluminum appears to be "natural" but is a little "dirty looking"...pressure washing does not change the appearance at all. I have read several threads on cleaning and preparation before PAINTING... what is the procedure for just "restoring the original 'natural' look"???
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,536
Re: How to Restore "natural" Aluminum look??

what is the procedure for just "restoring the original 'natural' look"???

Ayuh,.... That would be Leave it Alone....

It's oxidation...
If ya scrub it off, in time, it'll look exactly as it does now...
 

scipper77

Commander
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
2,106
Re: How to Restore "natural" Aluminum look??

This question comes up in the pontoon section every now and then. I believe there is a product that gives the aluminuma dull look but keeps it from oxidizing. (shark hide or something like that??)
 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Re: How to Restore "natural" Aluminum look??

Check out BigHoss's thread. He used SharkHide and his boat looks like Chrome!!! But... Bond-O is correct, it does take maintenance.
 
Top