How to remove thru-hull depth transducer?

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so our depth sounder hasnt been working right, and we want to get it fixed.
so our first step is to remove, inspect, and clean the transducer to see if we cant find the problem.

It looks a lot like this one:
http://shop.pinbax.com/index.asp?se...874&itemtitle=Depth transducer - through hull

except ours doesnt have the whole cap part on the top, just the wire coming up from the open hole.
But my question is: how do I get this out of the boat?

Does it unscrew? What part turns? The entire thing from the bottom? Just the top threaded part? ....just need some pointers.

Thanks guys.

PS. This is my first post in...a LONG time. Summer again. glad to be back.

-CUBE-

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to remove thru-hull depth transducer?

Typically there is a ring that you unscrew on the inside and the transducer comes out thru the bottom of the hull.

Transducers are sealed in epoxy so there is really nothing to clean and inspect. Either they work or they don't.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yep the ring on the top unscrews and the transducer drops out the bottom...... My boat had 4 of them that I replaced with 1 and I used 3 bronze thru hull fittings and bull plugs to fill the holes

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Typically there is a ring that you unscrew on the inside and the transducer comes out thru the bottom of the hull.

Transducers are sealed in epoxy so there is really nothing to clean and inspect. Either they work or they don't.

The link that I provided looks almost exactly like the one we have...and it says in the description it can be removed for cleaning....so I think mine does.

yep the ring on the top unscrews and the transducer drops out the bottom...... My boat had 4 of them that I replaced with 1 and I used 3 bronze thru hull fittings and bull plugs to fill the holes

Which ring? the threaded bolt type tube? Or the very top?

thanks

-CUBE-