How to remove Nissan NS5B gear case?

thkeeler

Cadet
I am trying to remove the lower gear case on a Nissan 5 hp, NS5B. I removed two bolts (a small one and a larger one) and loosened the coupler that holds the two shift levers together and tried prying the gear case from the drive shaft housing with screw drivers and tried pounding it down with a mallet, but it won't come down. It swivels a few degrees side to side but won't come down at all. My Clymer manual doesn't list a 5 hp but mentions something about removing a spring pin from the shift rod with a punch. My manual shows a spring pin going through a clutch cam but I don't see any way to get at it.
Any ideas would be much appreciated!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: How to remove Nissan NS5B gear case?

Just the two bolts and the coupler. No spring pin on that model. It's probably just stuck and will need to be pried apart carefully.

thkeeler

Cadet

Thanks so much for the info! Any suggestions on how to pry it apart without breaking anything? I'm awfully scared I'll break something if I just keep prying and banging on it; and there's not good place to pry or bang on. Any suggestions on where to apply penetrating oil or heat?
Thanks again.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

They stick at the drive shaft/crank shaft so there is no place to apply heat. You can either try to pop the power head off (it's easier to pry there) and then the lower unit will fall off or do the old screw driver/tap/patience approach on the lower unit.(The preferred method) After a week of tap and wait it will either drop or you do the power head method.