How to install a SMARTCRAFT system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to install a SMARTCRAFT system

Sorry for the delay!

there is a connector for the paddlewheel sensor, you would need to follow the fuel/ oil/ paddlewheel harness from your engine into the boat, there will be an area of the harness where all of the connections are made, that is where you should find the connector (flat, 4 pin??) you need the paddle wheel sensor to have troll controll based on speed, you can still use troll control based on RPM without it (speed is much better! ie. up/ down wind compensation!)

Hope this helps,
Peter.

fishnchips69

Recruit

So here is one for everyone....

I have dual 225 OPTI DTS system with all the smartcarft guages. I have the dual binnacle with the older track pad. I want to convert this to a CAN pad by taking out the track pad and replace with CAN. The CAN pad comes on the newer binnacles and allows you to do 1 lever and docking functions at the push of a button.

Supposedly I can just remove the track pad which is pluged into the track pad plug in the main DTS harness and replace with a CAN pad. However, the CAN pad needs to be plugged into the starbard j-box. The distance between CAN pad connector and the j-box is about 2 feet and the harness on CAN pad is like 6 inches....so I will need a CAN harness to bridge between the can pad connector and the j-box. I think the shortest cable is 6 feet (only 4 feet too long...)

So my question is the CAN harness cable that would connect the CAN pad to the j-box does it need termmintors or not? Has anyone done this?? It is alot cheaper than repalcing the binaccle which is like $600-plus. Ideas???

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK,

I got the Sc1000 in today and have attached a photo of what I have figured out, I seem to have everything at the gauge side figured out. I do not have another junction box, and I have two other cables. here is the part #'s on them please tell me what else I will need. the gauges are Tach,speed, and trim gauge

Cable - 84-859743
speedo pilot PN 84-863737(where do I hook this up and where do I need to mount it?)

DSC06682.jpg

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So here is one for everyone....

I have dual 225 OPTI DTS system with all the smartcarft guages. I have the dual binnacle with the older track pad. I want to convert this to a CAN pad by taking out the track pad and replace with CAN. The CAN pad comes on the newer binnacles and allows you to do 1 lever and docking functions at the push of a button.

Supposedly I can just remove the track pad which is pluged into the track pad plug in the main DTS harness and replace with a CAN pad. However, the CAN pad needs to be plugged into the starbard j-box. The distance between CAN pad connector and the j-box is about 2 feet and the harness on CAN pad is like 6 inches....so I will need a CAN harness to bridge between the can pad connector and the j-box. I think the shortest cable is 6 feet (only 4 feet too long...)

So my question is the CAN harness cable that would connect the CAN pad to the j-box does it need termmintors or not? Has anyone done this?? It is alot cheaper than repalcing the binaccle which is like $600-plus. Ideas???

The only place you need ressistors is at either end of the "CAN bus trunk" your system would allready have these installed. you should just be able to plug in the harness. Let us know how you make out!

Norm M

Recruit

Peter,

I finally have the gauges installed with a few problems, maybe you can help.
First my smartcraft speedo does not work I have programmed everything and no luck. there is one more thing I am going to try and that is to change the two wires around on the GPS connection maybe I have the nema out and - mixed up. what do you think?
Second, I can not get the smartcraft gauge to give me fuel always reads low fuel no matter what I program
Third, My anolog fuel gauge is also not working, please help
Regards,
Norm

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Peter,

I finally have the gauges installed with a few problems, maybe you can help.
First my smartcraft speedo does not work I have programmed everything and no luck. there is one more thing I am going to try and that is to change the two wires around on the GPS connection maybe I have the nema out and - mixed up. what do you think?
Second, I can not get the smartcraft gauge to give me fuel always reads low fuel no matter what I program
Third, My anolog fuel gauge is also not working, please help
Regards,
Norm

Hi Norm,

Are you trying to use GPS speedo only? or do you also have the digital pitot sensor in the engine? Have you gone through cal 1 and 2 and made sure that gps speed is turned on, and that you have set the paddle wheel sensor to NOT INSTALLED (my guess is that is your problem), and that the paddle to gps threshold is set as low as possible?

You can try reversing the leads on the NMEA, make sure that if there is three wires on the gps side, (one will be +12 volts) do not connect that wire to the smartcraft.

Did you install the fuel oil and paddle wheel harness? if so did you remove the connection from your old analog sender and wire in "fuel 1" to the sending unit?

Peter.

Robb

Recruit

Rotorfixer,

This is a great post it really helped me install my smartcraft tach with no problems. The hardest part was "fishing" the harness through the tube up to my center console. It works great.

Thanks,
Robb

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I got my engine mounted yesterday, and everything is working except for two things that I need help on hooking up. The tack reads "Fault, Pitot" I have the part #84-863737(where do I hook this up and where do I need to mount it?)

Second under one of the covers is a grey tube for water pressure, where in the world do I route this to.

Thanks

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I got my engine mounted yesterday, and everything is working except for two things that I need help on hooking up. The tack reads "Fault, Pitot" I have the part #84-863737(where do I hook this up and where do I need to mount it?)

Second under one of the covers is a grey tube for water pressure, where in the world do I route this to.

Thanks

Hello,

I don't have time to look that up.. is it the brass colored digital pitot sensor with three wires coming out??? if it is read this:

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=397578&postid=3879789

Norm M

Recruit

Peter,
Thanks for the quick response.
I am just using the GPS for speed
I did not install any sensors into the gas tank just whatever came with the boat even if I can just get the anolog sensor to work is good enough for me
any ideas

Regards,
Norm

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello,

I don't have time to look that up.. is it the brass colored digital pitot sensor with three wires coming out??? if it is read this:

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=397578&postid=3879789

i looked at that thread but it did not help, I was able to figure out the grey tube, it is for a analog water pressure gauge.

I have a 2008 75hp optimax with the SC1000 gauges.

I have the part # that is mentioned in the previous thread, I am wondering where I would hook this into the engine. and I assume that the hose end goes into the tube coming out of the gearcase.

Second when I turn on the gauges, it reads two faults, first is the Pitot sensor, then second is "Fault OIL LEVEL" what would be causing this, the oil is full, doesn't this engine give oil level or do I need to disable that?

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello again, I am darn sure you have to remove the analog apeedo tube, and connect the sensor to that tube. I can look at mine and take some pictures, but that might take a while.

as for the oil fault, go into CAL 1 and 2 and make sure you have the "oil tank" sensor set to NOT INSTALLED, it is for a remote oil tank that has a sending unit built in. (I assume you do not have wires going to your external oil tank)

Let me know how you make out.

Peter.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Peter,

thanks for the info, here is what I have decided to do, I disabled the speedo/pitot for the time being because I have looked every where for where I can plug it in, and with no luck. I have connected my NMEA cable to my GPS/chartplotter, I have not tested this yet.

I disabled the tank sensors, I am good to go there.

I sure would like to figure this Pitot sensor out at some time, If you would like I can send you photos as well.

Just let me know, and once again thanks for your help

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello again,

I would suggest removing the line for your analog speedo. I took some pictures this morning of mine, sorry the quality is so low, it was with my blackberry, and inside my shop. To remove the grey tubing from the T or the sensor, slide the little ferrule away from the tube, then pull the tube out. I suspect you have that little three pin connector on your engine, but it would have a weather cap on it.

If this does not make it immediatly obvious, take some pictures of your motor at the same area for me and I will have a look! Let me know how you make out.

System connected
pitot1.jpg

Showing the connector disconnected
pitot2.jpg

you can see the T of the grey lines near the bottom of the cowling
pitot3.jpg

pitot4.jpg

pitot5.jpg

Peter

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Peter,
Thanks for the quick response.
I am just using the GPS for speed
I did not install any sensors into the gas tank just whatever came with the boat even if I can just get the analog sensor to work is good enough for me
any ideas

Regards,
Norm

Well, it is a resistance based system. the gauge sends out voltage (12 volts) and the tank sensor varies the resistance based on where the arm is. Try these:

1. is there voltage at the wire that goes into the fuel level sensor?

2. Is the sensor grounded? Check the resistance from the sensor body to boat ground. (should not exceed 5 ohms approx)

3. Say screw it and buy the extra harness that will allow you to connect the sensor to the smartcraft system!

sapster77

Recruit

hi everyone,

First of all thank you for all the information regarding smartcraft in this thread. - It's great and has inspired me to try out a smartcraft installation:)

One quick question though.

I have have a Merc 4.3 MPI and would like to install a SC1000 system monitor primarily to monitor fuel flow and range left in the tank. Having read the above I understand that a single harness from the engine to the SC1000 and also a fuel/oil/paddlewheel harness is required. My question is where does the fuel/oil...harness go from and to? From the engine to where?

Thanks again,:)

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi everyone,

First of all thank you for all the information regarding smartcraft in this thread. - It's great and has inspired me to try out a smartcraft installation:)

One quick question though.

I have have a Merc 4.3 MPI and would like to install a SC1000 system monitor primarily to monitor fuel flow and range left in the tank. Having read the above I understand that a single harness from the engine to the SC1000 and also a fuel/oil/paddlewheel harness is required. My question is where does the fuel/oil...harness go from and to? From the engine to where?

Thanks again,:)

The fuel/ oil/ paddle wheel harness is only required if you wish to connect the system to your fuel tank, or paddle wheel sensor, the system monitor can work without it. It connects to a connector in the engine (near the main smartcraft connector) and the other side connects to the tank sensor and paddlewheel sensor. the info is routed through the engine computer and out the main smartcraft harness to the gauges.

Peter.

sapster77

Recruit

Ok great! I should be to fix that:) thank you very much!

bv

Recruit

deleted

Found the answer on the first page

Norm M

Recruit

I still can't get the fuel gauge to work, my tim and voltage still work, can't figure that one out.

another problem is with my sc1000 speedo, can't get a reading went thru the set up 4 times and still nothing the wires are all hooked up correctly. I have a Humminbird 797 (is there something I need to change on this unit?)and the gps speed is on that so I know it is working
Please help with any info, maybe a bad gauge I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.