How to give a cat a pill/how to give a dog a pill

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
How to Give a Cat A Pill

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat ' s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth.
Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2.. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa
Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process..

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5.. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws Ignore low growls emitted by cat.. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing.
Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot.

Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw tee shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from the tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie the little *&#%^ ' s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Give A Dog A Pill

1. Wrap it in bacon.

2. Toss it in the air.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to give a cat a pill/how to give a dog a pill

KiwiPhil,

When you posted "What cats write in their diaries", I printed it and showed it to a bunch of people. I can't even tell you how many "Thank you's" and pats on the back I got for sharing your brilliant post.

Just thought I might be able to return the gesture. This one's for you, Phil...

ziggy

Admiral

i got cats, i find the above to be true.

vh or kp. got a link to the 'what cats write in their diaries. i think i saw it, but would like a refresher...

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

i got cats, i find the above to be true.

vh or kp. got a link to the 'what cats write in their diaries. i think i saw it, but would like a refresher...

that's funny, I have dogs and I know the above is true of my dogs. wrap it in anything and they will devour it.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Did I miss the part where the cat bites your finger/thumb after you drop the pill in its forced open mouth!!very funny!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby......

Thanks VH, but try this with my cat and you will meet some of your Peers

She is a sweetheart.......when she wants to be, otherwise she enjoys terrorizing the 100lb lab, the teenagers, you get the idea

My daughter brought her home one day and she quickly claimed me for her own
I enjoyed it though

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Did I miss the part where the cat bites your finger/thumb after you drop the pill in its forced open mouth!!very funny!

Apparently not... You didn't miss a thing. Some people (yourself included), are just intelegent like that;).

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I never gave pills to a cat, but my dog would take the cheese wrapped pill and eat the cheese eargerly.
Only the cheese, though...I would find the pill on the floor or in her bowl a little bit later.

She was very devious.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I never gave pills to a cat, but my dog would take the cheese wrapped pill and eat the cheese eargerly.
Only the cheese, though...I would find the pill on the floor or in her bowl a little bit later.

She was very devious.

Try wrapping it in bacon and tossing it the air... The pill, not the dog:rolleyes::p;).

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

We wrap pills in a piece of plain white bread the dogs just eat it,but they'll eat anything!

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I'll remember the bacon toss for the next one. :D

Seriously, Ninja, if your dog leaves a pill in the food bowl after having been compressed within a piece of cheese... I don't know about the bacon method being any better.:facepalm: Although, to a dog, bacon may as well be crack:p... Let's face it, to some people, too;).

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

has everyone seen the "Bacon of the month club" .com?Im too poor to join right now!!

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Veritas - absolutely brilliant.

As to the dog lovers - Use the flavored Pill Pockets. Perhaps the best invention since sliced bread.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Seriously, Ninja, if your dog leaves a pill in the food bowl after having been compressed within a piece of cheese... I don't know about the bacon method being any better.:facepalm: Although, to a dog, bacon may as well be crack:p... Let's face it, to some people, too;).
She's no longer with me. I swear she was from another world, though.
She would not be deceived by cheese or bacon. It was one of the challenges when she needed her chemo pills. She would look at me like she had gobbled it down and as soon as I turned around, there was a pill at her feet as she waited for another treat.

As bad as a cat, but more devious.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

She's no longer with me. I swear she was from another world, though.
She would not be deceived by cheese or bacon. It was one of the challenges when she needed her chemo pills. She would look at me like she had gobbled it down and as soon as I turned around, there was a pill at her feet as she waited for another treat.

As bad as a cat, but more devious.

Sorry you lost your friend, Ninja.

When I was a 7, I got a Siberian Huskey. She was 1/4 grey wolf. She was quite a puppy, and turned out to be the smartest dog I've ever come into contact with. Don't know whether or not you're familiar with huskies, but man could this dog sing!!! She would literally bring tears to peoples eyes when she would "roo and woo". She would also pick pills out of pretty much anything in her later years. In her final days, cheese and ham worked. What breed/breeds was yours?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

We had a cat named Sasha who was alot like Daninjas dog.I remember finally getting her to take a pill after many attempts and several destroyed pills,punctured digits, only to have her yak it back up minutes later! minus hairball.she did eventually learn to take the pills though.looking back Its a wonder I wasnt more seriously injured.She had a less than sweet disposition when in a good mood!The loud ,low growls do nothing for your confidence in the endevor.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Sorry you lost your friend, Ninja.

When I was a 7, I got a Siberian Huskey. She was 1/4 grey wolf. She was quite a puppy, and turned out to be the smartest dog I've ever come into contact with. Don't know whether or not you're familiar with huskies, but man could this dog sing!!! She would literally bring tears to peoples eyes when she would "roo and woo". She would also pick pills out of pretty much anything in her later years. In her final days, cheese and ham worked. What breed/breeds was yours?

Dutchess got her swimming ability and intelligence from her Lab mother.
I blame her Shepherd dad for her conniving personality and temperament.

bewareofdog_edited.jpg BewareofDog2007-1.jpg DSC02585-1.jpg

I swear she was laughing at me when I discovered her pills in her bowl. I think it was a game to her. :D

She died in my arms a little over a year ago. She was a little over fifteen-years old.