How to get a livewell out?

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've had to walk away from this project more than a few times. It's not easy digging foam out of such a small area. Well, I dug it all out and I still can't get it to break free. I guess the pressure of the foam and any little thing the foam has formed around is working against me. It's really too bad, because of all things on the boat, it's the most solid install on the entire boat and here I am ripping it out. I could use some suggestions before I go to plan B.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think I recall someone referring
to the plate I circled in the pic as a 'bulkhead'. Plan B is to remove it and take the tub out from the side. I don't want to because it seems to be a key structural piece and it's riveted all the way through the hull. I have a rivet gun on the way, but I would still like to stay away from that.

Here's the plate with rivets all the way across the bottom.
P5100210-1.jpg

I dug down past the bottom and the corners.
P5100212.jpg

I didn't want to cut the pick up hose, but oh well, casualty.
P5100211.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How to get a livewell out?

Can you feed a piece of mechanics wire from one side to the other and use it like a saw (it will take 2 people)..... that foam looks rugged :eek:

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're right Bob_VT, that foam is tough and does not want to come out. I really hate to take it out, because it's in there so well, but to Gluvit my boat it all has to come out right?

You actually gave me another idea. An old carpenter's hand saw. The blade on those is close to 24". I'll slide it in the side and saw away hopefully. New plan B,Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Or an old band saw blade with the loop cut open...... I was trying to suggest the wire to attack the foam w/o doing additional damage. A carpenters saw will work and you can take the handle off if you need too.

Depending on the need for the repair under there...... you might enev consider having it rewelded. But yes gluvit will require the foam out so you have clear access.