How to fix a leaking pontoon boat -Warning Graphic Images! lol

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
The doomed Rivera Cruiser...after almost sinking and ruining our 2012 boating season a decision had to be made. I had picked up another project boat with good toons and rebuilt it over the winter, I stripped the interior, motor, and all other useable parts off this one and decided to sell the Cruiser as a project boat to try to make back some of my investment. The pontoons could not be welded since I spend like $400 on epoxy to seal them which did not work. The boat was used extensively in saltwater and when I purchased it originally I did not know that would have been a problem. Turns out pontoons were littered with holes. I figured maybe someone could foam them or apply even more epoxy to kinda fix them. To add insult to injury the hurricane had knocked over my winter shelter and the new deck and new carpet I had installed a year ago was a mess. Luckily I had stripped my new interior out of it in the fall. But after moving the boat i noticed that water was STILL coming out from holes in the pontoons even with the epoxy.....moral decision...unload this lemon to some novice pontoon buyer for some quick cash?? No...i could never do that in good conscious knowing all the heartache this boat caused us. The following is the final moments our doomed boat.
junk1.jpgjunk2.jpgjunk3.jpgjunk5.jpgjunk4.jpg

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to fix a leaking pontoon boat -Warning Graphic Images! lol

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. :-( I am sure that was a difficult decision but a brighter future is around the corner. :)

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! Yes, we are very happy with how our other boat turned out so far and are looking forward to a fun 2013!
Out of sight.....out of mind

rogerwa

Commander

You probably could have parted out the fences and some of the other parts. Bet the guy in the crane had fun.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is still a crying shame, even knowing it was doomed still doesn't help.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah. i thought of that but the aluminum sheeting was really thin and had holes in it and everything was pitted from the saltwater.....it was doomed and needed to go.

That has to be a fun job picking things up and smashing them all day....good stress release

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

So did you sell it for scrap so you could spend the money on your replacement ??

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

So did you sell it for scrap so you could spend the money on your replacement ??

Yes, used the money to cover the cost of swapping the motor, and some odds and ends on my "new to me" 97 Crest ...which like this one i rebuilt from the pontoons up.

And to put this evil boat to rest once and for all

JeepinGunGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It just about killed me to look at those pictures. So many things I would loved to have got from that rig.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

It just about killed me to look at those pictures. So many things I would loved to have got from that rig.

That boat had more issues than (insert hot girl joke here________)
The pictures made it look better than it was.....you honestly wanted no part of it.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

you guys would die if you saw how we get rid of bad tubes, I have a guy run over them with a front loader and put them in a giant scrap hopper,we probly need to do it again because there is literally a pile of tubes again.

If I get a chance I will snap a pic and post it.

We decided not to sell blem tubes because it becomes a liability, you never know what someone is going to do and scrapping the tube is cheaper than defending lawsuit.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

That has to be interesting to see.

It's kinda like how car manufactures destroy their prototypes and how some of those car building show's scrap and part out the beautiful cars they build, because of the liability.

JeepinGunGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you guys would die if you saw how we get rid of bad tubes, I have a guy run over them with a front loader and put them in a giant scrap hopper,we probly need to do it again because there is literally a pile of tubes again.

If I get a chance I will snap a pic and post it.

We decided not to sell blem tubes because it becomes a liability, you never know what someone is going to do and scrapping the tube is cheaper than defending lawsuit.

Your not too far from me, do you guys have a back door maybe sell a little uncrushed scrap, or better yet if you give it to me then there is no issue.:laugh:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I am pretty sure I like my job way to much to backdoor you a tube for free, we used to sell tubes to certain people and then stopped, so I am not certain what our current policy is but I can check, it all goes back to the lawyers and liability.

You have a PM

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I really applaud your honesty. Having had to make that choice a few times my self. But it still hurts to see. grins. All you can do is consider it experience.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I always believe "what goes around comes around" so I would not want some one to do that to me. Plus just the safety aspect of it...someone could have been hurt and or property damaged with a sinky boat left unattended...especially with a novice boater. I'd rather take the hit and learn from my mistakes.
Let all hope for a successful 2013 season for everyone!